The little @#*!@!**

Any chance of bringing a couple of toys into bed with you? We usually have a soft toy and a hard chew toy with us. They're small enough that they're not in our way (at least not more than the 2 dogs are already). That might, one, make him more willing to go to bed with you as he gets the "special" toy(s) and two, might stop the howling if it's out of boredom. As far as during the day do you feel comfortable leaving a feeding toy/snuffle mat that he can focus all that extra energy on? I know how frustrating the vocalizations can be; in the middle of the night last night (like around 2 a.m.) our 2 decided to have a battle (dominance or fun, not sure which) that involved jumping on our bed and barking at the other one. Fortunately we only share walls with our neighbors' garages so I doubt they heard anything.

ahh..his toys are in his dog bed that is ON my bed :)
he is still in the chewing stage... so not even a proper dog bed (he has a crate mat)
 
So at 21 weeks, Pico is growing up.
He seems to be better with potty training. At least we have figured it out somewhat so there aren't accidents all over anyway.
He does go outside to the patio if he needs to go so that is good at least.

I don't worry about hidden surprises and let him explore a bit (I have a long hallway in an L shape that only has a motion sensor night light).
He goes and hangs out by the mirror in the dark (only thing he has access to) or by my bedroom door.
So not a velcro dog ALL the time anyway. of course, that goes 1 way only. I don't get to leave him!

Still struggling with the walking. He will be healing great about 15%, 15% in front with a happy tail, and the rest he is either lagging a tad behind (30%) or I am slightly pulling him (40%).
he gets treats galore. I don't really know what is going on. we only have 3-4 walk routes so he knows where he is going and they aren't in any way scary...
he seems better as we get closer to home on the way back, and he races to his grassy potty area every time (even if he doesn't go).
I am using a martingale as the harness really works best when he is front of me and playful and that is so minimal.
that only gets used at the beach for now.

still a good sleeper. At some point I will see if he wants to transition to the crate or maybe a dog bed on the large platform by my bed.
when he can see (before lights out), he usually goes to the huge dog bed next to my bed so I think he might end up there in future.
It is by my head and a small step down. I just need to re-arrange some things.
I am still recovering from COVID and things need a good straightening up.

and he likes pillows :)
he will sleep on the floor with his head propped up on his dog bed.
 
Meadow is the only dog that I've had that is not a great heeler. She heels sometimes, prancing along looking up at me, other times she lags a bit, just enough behind that I can't see her, and other times she pulls if she is excited about where she's going. All my other Shelties have been really good at staying right by my side. :confused2:

Sounds like Pico is making progress, it's certainly not a linear thing! I'm sure in 6 months or so you'll look back on this and wonder where the time went!
 
Meadow is the only dog that I've had that is not a great heeler. She heels sometimes, prancing along looking up at me, other times she lags a bit, just enough behind that I can't see her, and other times she pulls if she is excited about where she's going. All my other Shelties have been really good at staying right by my side. :confused2:

Sounds like Pico is making progress, it's certainly not a linear thing! I'm sure in 6 months or so you'll look back on this and wonder where the time went!

Gavin was not a heeler...he was ALWAYS in front of me. As far as he could so that his martingale collar wouldn't pull.
He walked me. Not so with Pico.
So this lagging dog not wanting to go walking is very strange for me.....
 
So I took him to Golden Gate Park this morning.
He loved the soccer fields! All the kids and people to love on him and tell him how cute he is :)
He did OK for the rest....he would be all prancy when there were runners in front of him (show off)
Not reactive at all with the cyclists and joggers, so that is good.
 
personality is just other people speak for brattiness.
Other people laughing at him howling, is them laughing at me because it is not happening to them.
This at 3AM is why he sleeps with me now :(

all I have to do is look at him a certain way and he sits....so I am confident I will train this out of him.
Just probably not before I take him somewhere for thanksgiving
I thoroughly disagree that personality is ‘people’ speak for brattyness. To say a dog has a lot of personality means they’re very smart in my opinion and this is their way of expressing it. Also their personality is WHO they are…I say Piper has lots of personality all the time, I’m certainly not saying he’s a brat. He wouldn’t be who he is without it. He’s outgoing, loveable, expressive, intelligent, a social butterfly….that’s his personality.
And we’re certainly not laughing at you when we laugh at something Pico does.
We’ve all been there with a puppy misbehaving and it’s something we understand and can laugh about now that our dogs are no longer puppies. Trust me there is no perfect puppy…they’ve all been challenging to raise. I can think of many instances with my three where I wanted to pull out my hair!
Just my 2 cents.
 
Back
Top