In their sunset years I have always found senior rescues to be the most loving and appreciative dogs. Yes, their time with us is sadly short but knowing that you have given them a home and a family for their final weeks/months/years, makes the heartbreak you know will come worth it. I remember sitting in my vet's waiting room with one of my senior hospice rescues a few years ago and a lady next to me said she could never adopt a senior because she was a very caring and emotional person and it would just be too hard. I didn't answer what I thought...which was how much sadder it would be for a senior dog to be left to die in a shelter without anyone to grieve their passing. Yes, heartbreak will come when you take on these special old souls, but it would hurt even more to know that you could have given them a home with love and care and to have chosen not to do so.
Trini