TICK advice

I use frontline plus,and have pretty good luck with it.I do not treat year round. I know the ticks are really aggressive this year. I found one on Mia recently, was'nt attached. With her they are easy to see, but the boys get many checks a day, when they come in from outside.
 
Found our first tick of the season on Honey this morning. I feel bad, because it had to have attached sometime yesterday, she hadn't been out yet this morning. The thing was huge, even after my husband crushed it and tossed it in the toilet it was waving it's legs around.

We want to find something to spray under the deck and in our yard. Any advice?
 
Just a reminder, when removing ticks and getting rid of them, Don't use your fingers !! You could "catch" a tick bourne disease. Use a tick stick or tweezers to remove or a paper towel if the latter aren't available. It is advised that you drown them in alcohol before flushing or you can save the tick in a baggie for identification if needed. I can remember, as a child, pulling huge bloated ticks off of the horses' bellies and squishing them in my fingers and my Dad reading me the riot act.:ick
 
Just a reminder, when removing ticks and getting rid of them, Don't use your fingers !! You could "catch" a tick bourne disease. Use a tick stick or tweezers to remove or a paper towel if the latter aren't available. It is advised that you drown them in alcohol before flushing or you can save the tick in a baggie for identification if needed. I can remember, as a child, pulling huge bloated ticks off of the horses' bellies and squishing them in my fingers and my Dad reading me the riot act.:ick

Sometimes when there is nowhere to kill the tick I'll cut it's head off with my nails. I've never gotten any infection or disease from this, not saying I'm not gonna get one. And I can see it happening if I have an open sore on my finger, but how can just touching a tick get you sick:confused2:?
 
Ruutu had a tick on him this weekend. Luckily, we noticed it while it was still crawling on him. Managed to get it off before it bit (well, it bit right as we took it off) Needless to say, I'm picking him up a tick collar today after work at our vets. I forget it's name though :confused2: but was only $20 for three months. My other sheltie uses Scalibor flea & tick collar and haven't seen a single tick on her. she's been wearing it since December and this one lasts 6 months. Sadly my vet down here doesn't carry it, but will be stocking up on them when I go to PA next week :yes:

As far as a spray, I know Lowe's has some. The one I found online is Central Life Sciences 16 oz Flea and Tick household/Area Spray.

  • Kills fleas, ticks, roaches, ants, spiders, crickets, silverfish and sowbugs
  • Controls reinfestation for up to 210 days
  • Covers 800 sq. ft
here's the link to it: http://www.lowes.com/pd_372138-7413...ay&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=tick+spray&facetInfo=


would have to check the bottle to make sure it's safe for dogs though, couldn't find anything saying one way or another.
 
Ruutu had a tick on him this weekend. Luckily, we noticed it while it was still crawling on him. Managed to get it off before it bit (well, it bit right as we took it off) Needless to say, I'm picking him up a tick collar today after work at our vets. I forget it's name though :confused2: but was only $20 for three months. My other sheltie uses Scalibor flea & tick collar and haven't seen a single tick on her. she's been wearing it since December and this one lasts 6 months. Sadly my vet down here doesn't carry it, but will be stocking up on them when I go to PA next week :yes:

As far as a spray, I know Lowe's has some. The one I found online is Central Life Sciences 16 oz Flea and Tick household/Area Spray.

  • Kills fleas, ticks, roaches, ants, spiders, crickets, silverfish and sowbugs
  • Controls reinfestation for up to 210 days
  • Covers 800 sq. ft
here's the link to it: http://www.lowes.com/pd_372138-74131-100507256_0__?productId=3623948&Ntt=tick+spray&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dtick%2Bspray&facetInfo=


would have to check the bottle to make sure it's safe for dogs though, couldn't find anything saying one way or another.

You're thinking of the Preventic Collar, I mentioned it in post #15 of this thread but here's the information again.

We've used it before with great results. I would definitely use it again.

http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detail/preventic-tick-collar-for-dogs

I try to stay clear of sprays since most contain toxic chemicals. A few others on the forums could probably recommend some all natural ones.
 
You're thinking of the Preventic Collar, I mentioned it in post #15 of this thread but here's the information again.

We've used it before with great results. I would definitely use it again.

http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detail/preventic-tick-collar-for-dogs

I try to stay clear of sprays since most contain toxic chemicals. A few others on the forums could probably recommend some all natural ones.
oh wow you're good :yes: I knew it started with a P! :biggrin2: glad you had good results.. I always feel iffy using stuff without talking to my group of vets in PA, but rather have something than nothing.
 
There are times when you just have to go the extra mile. I'd ask my neighbors normally, however if they're really jerks, then I'd just go ahead and do what I had to do, which is below.

1. Go online and find some who sells Termidor. Its a termiticide that is based on the standard Fipronil in dog collars, and is just slightly weaker than the dog collar formula.

2. Get a $15 2 gallon portable sprayer from Lowes/HD.

3. Mix up a batch, and give a nice good soaking to the entire fence line, and your yard. And definately find a time when they are away from home and spray as much over on their side of the fence as possible.

I've been doing this twice a year in my area, as we have foxes, possums, and all sorts of misc. critters in the hills here, even though its semi-suburbia.
I sprayed last maybe 4-5 month ago, and haven't seen a thing except the occasional spider, which are actually difficult to kill because of their anatomy, and even they take a significant hit.
The best thing is, Fipronil is very minimally impacting on mammals, and even less so at the lower levels in Termidor. Plus once it dries, its basically inert to pets/humans.

There is a Do my own pest control website where it is very cheap, however I don't know if I can name the site here. I also have some Bifenthrin, which is just a Pyrthrin, which I add, which may also be helping.

I think for $50 you can totally eliminate your yard pest problems within a week or less.

I know have chickens and a chicken tractor, so I have to figure out how to keep a zone -with-pests so they can get some additional protein.

I know a lot of people get a little freaky when it comes to chemicals, and rightly so. I've done tons of research, and the science has been done and is easily found.
On the flip side, a lot of people still feed their dogs garlic, which is considered a poison due to its thiosulfate components, which are 5x stronger than in onions.

HTH

And if you want a more organic solution, start growing peppermint and geraniums along your shared fence. It just may take a while longer to get under control.


Whoops, just noticed you do spray your lawn already. Spray his too!

And, FWIW with everyone suggesting Lowes/HD chemicals like Bayers, which I also bought.
They are mostly 99% water, with 1-2% actual ingredients.

For about $30-40, you can buy 1-2 pints of the active ingredients, and make 30-40 of the $10 bottles they sell at the store. Nice once you realize you need to spray again 4 weeks later, or your local variety of bugs seem to be super-bugs.

I don't mean to sound rude, but when I read that you had found ONE tick I nearly laughed:o! Our nexed door neighbors yard had been infested with HUNDREDS of tick until late last year and was filled a foot deep in some places 4 feet in others of 20 years of leaves and crap! When I just had one sheltie, F-kap, I would spend countless hours, and thousands of dollars to try and kill them all. Can you imagine a dog covered in about 100 tick, the owner spending all day killing them, and the next day they have almost just as many? That's what I did almost every day in the summer. But do you think the people next door cared that they were killing my dog? NO:mad:! One of there dead trees fell on my roof right on my bed room and as it rolled off it fell onto the dog house that had F-kap and Jody inside (Jody was a pup then), luckily the fence and my window took the brunt of the blow and it only left a dent in dog's tin roof. Since then they have paid some one to fix up there yard a little and cut down the other trees (because heaven forbid they clean up there own mess!) but even though it's been almost a year the new fence still isn't up all the way (to much crap in the yard, can't get the post hole digger in). Since then the ticks have gotten a little better, only if I continue with the constant buying of poison.
ANYWAYS, now that I've stepped off my soap box:hide...

I use Frontline Plus for the dogs,
http://www.frontline.com/Pages/default.aspx

Bayer Insect Killer for the yard, and
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/insects-pests/products/complete-brand-insect-killer-for-soil-turf

Enforcer Flea Killer for the house
http://www.enforcer.com/products/flea-tick/flea-killer-for-carpets/


I hope this helped!:fl
Tabs
 
Last edited:
Back
Top