Tick--course of action

Yeah, I think I remember reading a few times that Frontline doesn't prevent ticks like it should. I think Michele uses Revolution? Some others might too. I use K9 Advantix, which is great, but I think you can't since you have a cat.

I forgot about their cat. I don't think you can use Vectra 3D if you have a cat either.

Does Revolution cover ticks?
 
When a flea medicine kills ticks, does this mean it has two different chemicals in it, or just one that kills both of them at once? I've been pulling ticks off us right and left. I'm pretty sure we'll all have lyme by the time we get out of here! YIKES! I am getting them in my yard, too! Not even the woods or trails. I need to get some chickens b/c they eat ticks... I have a huge yard so it's doable and legal but I'm not sure my landlord would be okay with six dogs, one cat, and some chickens LOL
 
When a flea medicine kills ticks, does this mean it has two different chemicals in it, or just one that kills both of them at once? I've been pulling ticks off us right and left. I'm pretty sure we'll all have lyme by the time we get out of here! YIKES! I am getting them in my yard, too! Not even the woods or trails. I need to get some chickens b/c they eat ticks... I have a huge yard so it's doable and legal but I'm not sure my landlord would be okay with six dogs, one cat, and some chickens LOL

Yes, I do believe they have two or more different chemicals, separate ones for fleas and ticks.

I think there is a tick collar that is just for ticks.
 
Yes, I do believe they have two or more different chemicals, separate ones for fleas and ticks.

I think there is a tick collar that is just for ticks.

Yikes. That is such a combination, I'd be terrified to put that one them. Sigh...

I've also read really horrible things about those collars, although, it was mostly flea collars. I've never really had to deal with ticks for now. I can't find anything natural to keep them away, either... I guess we'll just continue checking for them but uh it's really hard on a sheltie! My mixes are shaved down so it's a piece of cake, Hadley... oh, lord it's difficult!
 
Yikes. That is such a combination, I'd be terrified to put that one them. Sigh...

I've also read really horrible things about those collars, although, it was mostly flea collars. I've never really had to deal with ticks for now. I can't find anything natural to keep them away, either... I guess we'll just continue checking for them but uh it's really hard on a sheltie! My mixes are shaved down so it's a piece of cake, Hadley... oh, lord it's difficult!

Did you try Tea Tree Oil? Diluted in a spray bottle. Spritz the dogs?

Keep in mind you are talking to someone who has 3 shelties all walking around with Lymes disease, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt. But...it does keep them down for me.
 
My vet told me the only chemical formula that works at all on ticks is K9 Advantix. I've used that, but have found that spraying the dogs once a day with one part apple cider vinegar to three parts water works better than any chemical I've ever used for fleas, ticks and other biting insects. When I used it regularly last fall, we had not one single tick on any of them.
 
My vet told me the only chemical formula that works at all on ticks is K9 Advantix. I've used that, but have found that spraying the dogs once a day with one part apple cider vinegar to three parts water works better than any chemical I've ever used for fleas, ticks and other biting insects. When I used it regularly last fall, we had not one single tick on any of them.

I heard you say this before, but never tried it.

I will go get some this week. I HATE ticks. Thanks for the reminder about this formula.
 
My vet told me the only chemical formula that works at all on ticks is K9 Advantix. I've used that, but have found that spraying the dogs once a day with one part apple cider vinegar to three parts water works better than any chemical I've ever used for fleas, ticks and other biting insects. When I used it regularly last fall, we had not one single tick on any of them.

I may give this a try, too.

Do you find that it smells for awhile?
 
My vet told me the only chemical formula that works at all on ticks is K9 Advantix. I've used that, but have found that spraying the dogs once a day with one part apple cider vinegar to three parts water works better than any chemical I've ever used for fleas, ticks and other biting insects. When I used it regularly last fall, we had not one single tick on any of them.

I do this weekly, but maybe we should do it every day! I'll also check out the tree tea oil... I've heard so many good things about that. ACV is amazing though and by adding it to their water we've cut down on fleas. I find more ticks on me than them so maybe I should spray myself too! I'm terrified of Lymes!
 
I may give this a try, too.

Do you find that it smells for awhile?

I was afraid my dogs and my entire house would smell like vinegar when I first tried this. Interestingly enough, it doesn't! You'll smell it for 5 or 10 minutes but then it's gone. And the dogs love it! They are all licking at their bibs and fur after being sprayed -- they must think they've turned into salads. :razz: An added plus is it helps give their coats a shine.

I worried initially about whether vinegar would dry out their coats, but I haven't found that it does. I should also say that I don't soak them...I just spritz their coats lightly and then give a quick brush to make sure it's distributed evenly.
 
Back
Top