Ticks

Terrible Ticks

Because our boy pup is liver compromised, I did a lot of reading on natural flea and tick control and #1 is the diatomaceous earth that you use. We found a tick on our female at the beginning of the spring and it was in horrible shape, (the tick) dehydrated and dead. We just took it off of her coat, it didn't even get under her skin.

#2 I spray both pups with a white vinegar and water solution and that smell keeps the ugly little varmints from landing on our fur kids.

D. Earth and vinegar, a good alternative,

Best,
Kate
 
I feel you. We had a terrible tick problem recently and just before I went on a 2 week holiday :eek2: so I had to detick and call in the fumigators.

I was already deticking each dog and finding some 30 between the 2 of them EVERYDAY and would see ticks on my bed *shudder*. They were reeally tiny, sesame seed sized or smaller which made things harder. (And which also meant baby ticks were born in my house *double shudder*)

I bought Advantix when I was on holiday in the US (they don't sell 'em in Singapore, don't know why). Haven't used it yet but given the bad tick season and the Lyme disease scare (Juliet had those bulls eye rings but was tested negative for Lyme), I'll probably be using it soon!
 
Because our boy pup is liver compromised, I did a lot of reading on natural flea and tick control and #1 is the diatomaceous earth that you use. We found a tick on our female at the beginning of the spring and it was in horrible shape, (the tick) dehydrated and dead. We just took it off of her coat, it didn't even get under her skin.

#2 I spray both pups with a white vinegar and water solution and that smell keeps the ugly little varmints from landing on our fur kids.

D. Earth and vinegar, a good alternative,

Best,
Kate

how much vinegar to how much water?
 
Vinegar treatment

One cup white distilled vinegar to one quart water in a spray bottle is what I use. It gives their coat a most natural shine as well. Some people add vinegar to pups drinking water as well but I have not.

You can spray around the yard also in case you are visited by cats who leave their scent by urinating, it deters them from coming back and also, spray where the pups have left their droppings after you clean it up.

We live on a wildlife preserve and this method has proved tried and true for me especially with all the wild turkeys that roam free around here.

So far here, so good.

Best,
Kate
 
One cup white distilled vinegar to one quart water in a spray bottle is what I use. It gives their coat a most natural shine as well. Some people add vinegar to pups drinking water as well but I have not.

You can spray around the yard also in case you are visited by cats who leave their scent by urinating, it deters them from coming back and also, spray where the pups have left their droppings after you clean it up.

We live on a wildlife preserve and this method has proved tried and true for me especially with all the wild turkeys that roam free around here.

So far here, so good.

Best,
Kate

thanks for the recipe :yes:
 
#2 I spray both pups with a white vinegar and water solution and that smell keeps the ugly little varmints from landing on our fur kids.

D. Earth and vinegar, a good alternative,

Best,
Kate

How often do you spray the pups with this? I'm using a natural spray made of cloves etc., but I like the vinegar idea better. Does it bleach or dry their coats out?
 
The vinegar is interesting, seems like it works for so many things. Twenty years ago we had a cocker spaniel with a bit of dry skin and the vet recommended putting a little squirt of Avon Skin so Soft into the rinse water when we bathed her to help moisturize. She never had fleas even when our neighbours were having problems. I know people used to use it as an insect repellent. Not sure if it would also work on ticks.
 
vinegar for fleas and ticks

I spray every time they go outside, just some spritzes on their fur. And no, it does not dry out their coats or skin, just the opposite, it makes their coats shine.

Skin so soft I have found to work, BUT what a mess on their fur, like leaving soap or conditioner on them and it is drying to their fur.

Good luck,
Best,
Kate
 
I spray every time they go outside, just some spritzes on their fur. And no, it does not dry out their coats or skin, just the opposite, it makes their coats shine.

Skin so soft I have found to work, BUT what a mess on their fur, like leaving soap or conditioner on them and it is drying to their fur.

Good luck,
Best,
Kate

Yes,we did find that the skin so soft made the hair a bit oily for a couple of days and then was fine but I think cocker spaniel fur is quite different from shelties so I can believe that it might not be great.
 
tick flea update

I wanted to clarify that the diatomaceous earth that I use is food grade, you must not use anything but food grade de. Some de is used for pools, that would be the wrong thing to use. Make sure it is food grade and check the bag to double check. Anything other than food grade and it will harm your pets.

Best,
Kate
 
Back
Top