danisgoat
Moderator
Thanks for sharing!
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Is it my imagination, or is it mostly the smaller Shelties that do well at agility? Almost every pic/video I've seen is of the small babies?
That's interesting......a lot of people prefer the smaller shelties for agility because of the way they group the heights. This is how I understand it...and I could be wrong.
Shelties that are 14" and under jump 12" and shelties 18" and under jump 16". So if you have a dog that is 14.5" inches....they are jumping 16 (higher than their height) and they may also be competing against the dreaded (kidding) border collies. So...ideally if you are big into competition, you would want a dog under 14" for agility. For those of us that are just in it for the fun....it doesn't really matter, as long as the dog is able to handle the jumps.
I think that the height groupings you mention are for AKC...or some other group. In USDAA the height restrictions are a bit stricter. If your dog is 16" and below, they jump 16". If they are 12" and below, they jump 12". If your dog is over 16", they jump 22".
I think you're right about people preferring the smaller shelties. I think it's not necessarily because of height, but because of structure.
And you're right too in that if your dog is over 16" they run against all the border collies and they have a tendency to be super fast!

I haven't had an official measurement on Phebe yet, but by my reckoning she's at least 17". But, she's also fast and has tremendous drive. If we can get me in shape to compete, she's a Sheltie who should be able to give the BCs a run. The club we're training at now is mostly BC people and they say she's fast.![]()
And, I watch your videos and think 'I wish my dog would stay with me like that.'That's awesome! She IS Super Phebe!![]()
I would love to run a super fast dog just to see what it's like. As you can see, Bentley is more of the "slow and steady wins the race" type, which is great because he's very consistent...but he could use a bit more speed!
A fast dog makes a novice like me feel just on the edge of losing control all the time.That's awesome! She IS Super Phebe!![]()
I would love to run a super fast dog just to see what it's like. As you can see, Bentley is more of the "slow and steady wins the race" type, which is great because he's very consistent...but he could use a bit more speed!
Ember looks to be about as fast as Bentley. I wanted more speed from her too and now I have Diva, speed racer. Be careful what you wish for.