To shed or not to shed....that is the question

My parents have a lab/hound mix and I am so allergic to him that I dare not even pet him! Stroking his back - anytime of year - raises so much dander and fur that I suffer for hours!

Labs are the worst for shedding!! I will never ever get a Lab for that reason! They shed constantly and the hair sticks in couches unlike the Shelties because it is short and course. Some of my friends have labs and I love their disposition but not the hair! I will take a Golden Retriever and a Sheltie any day over a Lab!
 
Labs are the worst for shedding!! I will never ever get a Lab for that reason! They shed constantly and the hair sticks in couches unlike the Shelties because it is short and course. Some of my friends have labs and I love their disposition but not the hair! I will take a Golden Retriever and a Sheltie any day over a Lab!

oh great just what I have to look foreward to so far sam (lab) isnt a big shedder but he is only 4 months old. I know my parents great danes are terrible shedders!!
 
Sadie sheds a lot. My clothes are always covered with her fur and there are always little tumble weeds floating around on the floor. Sadie came from a reputable breeder and excellent blood lines.

My parent's sheltie sheds very little. He came from a pet store and we have no idea about his background.

So from what I've experienced good breeding isn't everything when it comes to shedding :smile2:
 
From what I was told, dogs that stay indoors more, tend to shed year-round more. And my dogs definitely let it all out after a bath (again, I'm told baths do that too).

So, with that thought. The fact that I don't brush my dogs very often (line brushed about twice a year), and that they don't get many baths (maybe twice a year), and that they don't go outside except to potty, um, they shed a lot. I have to vacuum once a week minimum. I'm sure if I brushed them more (esp now), it'd be less.

Miko has always shed like this (aka a lot), so I cant' say it's diet. Koji's only 1.5 years old, so his coat is still coming in, but I'm guessing he'll be a shedder too.

I just assumed they shed a lot. Although, everything I've read says if you give them a decent brush once a week, there'll be minimal shedding. Maybe I should give that a whirl. lol.

Oh, I know all about the hair stuck around the wires, under the fridge, in corners, up against corners, and boy oh boy, I could have 100 Shelties if rebuilt them after a good vacuum or brush. lol. But I still love them.
 
Could be worse... At least with shelties, you end up with big pieces forming which makes it easy to pick up around the house :x Unlike short haired dogs who shed like cats. I'd much rather have the long hair to clean up.
 
Ruckus shed year around. But he sheds BAD during the spring. No mater what season I have dog hear all over me and even dig it out of food and my mouth.

Lynn is 8 mos old now and has not started shedding.
 
Ginnie (the pup I had to return) was a horrible shedder! Mounds of the stuff everywhere! I was picking it out of my own hair! (Imagine looking in the mirror and see grey hair on my head....and then realizing it was the blue merles! :lol: )

Neither Bacca or Indy appear to be shedders, but neither are a year old yet. I suppose it could still happen, especially when I get them neutered? Indy is pretty poofy already though so I think he's further into his full coat than Bacca. Bacca just has a lovely soft, silky coat that is a joy to sink your hands into...and he's never had a bath!

We'll see what happens when they are both neutered and bathed....:uhoh::smile2:
 
Ginnie (the pup I had to return) was a horrible shedder! Mounds of the stuff everywhere! I was picking it out of my own hair! (Imagine looking in the mirror and see grey hair on my head....and then realizing it was the blue merles!

I wish I had a grey dog in the house to blame when I see grey hair on my head. :cry:
 
Both Honey and Jazz (from the same line) kept their coats really well until they were brushed or had a bath and then, oh man, was there a lot of hair! I would literally get a big paper grocery stack filled with hair when I brushed them. There never appeared to be that much hair floating around inbetween times, however, the rolling brushes inside my vacuum told a whole different story. :eek2:
 
Back
Top