Training the Chute

What's a "doona"? lol. I laughed then realized you're in Australia. I'm assuming it's the quilt/blanket?

I never thought about that. When things are on Koji's head, he tends to backup. While I'm packing, I think I'll work with him with things on his head. He has a fear of it too. I think cuz he can't see, so lots of work, but like you said, they're smart. They get it fast. Just need to give him lots of praise and food (okay, more food than praise) and he'll be loving it in no time.
 
Whoops, yep, doona is a feather quilt. Its heavy so good practice for feeling weight on his head, thats why its good to start with peekaboo with a towel or jacket.

Gee, $20 is quite a lot. But a full days entertainment probably. I wouldnt spend too much time on the chute if you are moving- dont want him to equate it with bad things. A few quick short fun sessions will probably be enough. When I got my chute I got inside with Deska and he thought it was hilarious. It was a fun, no pressure game to play. Tight squeeze though.
 
10 Tips to Training The Chute!




1) If you can easily remove the fabric portion of the chute from the barrel, start training with just the hard tunnel, otherwise roll up the chute until it is at the edge of the barrel (some chutes have varying length fabric portions, use the shortest length you have available to start). Have the dog get used to running through the barrel by sending him through with the command you plan to use.

2) Some people prefer to use a “Chute” command for the chute and a “Tunnel” command for the open pipe tunnel. The preference is in case there is a call off on a course at some point, or you need to send your dog to one obstacle or the other. This is mostly a matter of preference; you may use “Tunnel” for both the chute and the tunnel, or you can differentiate between the obstacles.

3) Start to slowly unfurl the fabric portion of the chute, but continue to hold it open as the dog runs through. It is best to have a training partner for this so that you can send the dog through from the entrance and your partner is holding the chute open at the other end.

4) When the dog is running the length of the chute with it open, start to gently drop the very end of the fabric onto the dog just as the dog is existing the tunnel.

5) Start to drop the fabric onto the dog a little earlier each time, perhaps a foot before the end, then two feet before the end, etc. Judge your dog’s comfort with having the chute released and don’t forget to give lots of praise when he/she exits the chute.

6) Once the obstacle is understood by the dog, start placing it in short sequences.

7) Work on sending the dog to the entrance of the chute from different angles

8) When you are running courses with a chute, make sure as you plan your handling strategy that you consider the dog’s angle entering the chute and the angle at which he is likely to exit — make sure your path won’t cross your dog’s path leading to a collision!

9) Your dog can’t see you while he/she is in the chute; don’t forget to call your dog early so he/she can orient to the direction of your voice prior to exiting.

10) HAVE FUN!

By Anna Houser

http://ezinearticles.com/?Dog-Agility-Training-For-Tunnels-and-Chutes&id=1983719 (more info)

(i know nothing on the subject but found this article)

Pretty much how I taught my dogs the chute. Ember hated the chute,she didn't like anything touching her. Took a long time. Now she does it fine. Diva had a hard time with the chute too. Problem was in the beginner class, she was so fast though it that, the instructor was late dropping the chute down so she never learned to push though it. So she missed the transition. Once we figure out the confusion, she got it in a week.
 
That "how to" sounds like how we train the chute.

Often its more a matter of exposure to the obstacle that is necessary for them to be comfortable with it. Once you have a chute to train with, he should get comfortable with the idea pretty quickly.

As for when to C/T, I'd wait until he's far enough through the cloth end of the chute (basically 100% committed to the obstacle) to click. Give him the treat once he's out of the chute. The click is what marks the correct behavior so the slight delay in the treat isn't going to matter.
 
Chute

Cheyl ,I can almost guaraantee you that you will not see a chute in AKC JWW's.I have been all over the place trialing and not once have I ever seen a chute in JWW's in AKC and USDAA.Enter the trial and you be glad you did.Check out www.hycalibervideo.com and check out all the AKC trials for JWW and you will not see a chute.
 
The typical training I know, is to hold it open, do that until they're comfy. Then drape it on them as they run through, but don't let go yet. Then move to letting it go on their backs (not their face). The let them run through.

This is how my instructor teaches it too. Maia is not too fond of it on her either. I am not sure why though, as she loves to go under my covers and sleep there! She has no problems with the comforter on her face and pushing her way through that, so it baffles me.
 
Whoops, yep, doona is a feather quilt. Its heavy so good practice for feeling weight on his head, thats why its good to start with peekaboo with a towel or jacket.

Gee, $20 is quite a lot. But a full days entertainment probably. I wouldnt spend too much time on the chute if you are moving- dont want him to equate it with bad things. A few quick short fun sessions will probably be enough. When I got my chute I got inside with Deska and he thought it was hilarious. It was a fun, no pressure game to play. Tight squeeze though.

I looked it up afterwards and I liked what they said about US's misuse of the word "duvet". Which is what a doona is. I was like, great. Of course we use it incorrectly. lol.

Yeah. $20 is a lot for one run. I just have to think if it's worth it to check out all the Shelties.
 
Cheyl ,I can almost guaraantee you that you will not see a chute in AKC JWW's.I have been all over the place trialing and not once have I ever seen a chute in JWW's in AKC and USDAA.Enter the trial and you be glad you did.Check out www.hycalibervideo.com and check out all the AKC trials for JWW and you will not see a chute.

I may also enter this USDAA one that is very local and will be a small event. :) Just Jumpers though. Trust me, like everyone said, I am NOT pushing Koji and his contacts.

Okay okay. If you say so. I just wanted to be sure, y'know. Now, if they have a chute, then I think you should give me Shadow's title. :P I'm sure he can get another. Koji on the other hand.....may not.
 
Check out www.hycalibervideo.com and check out all the AKC trials for JWW and you will not see a chute.

Okay. Couple things.

1. oh the dreaded wings!!! Do you know how many wings I've almost taken out? Is that normal AKC?

2. That is a tight course (used to NADAC).

and 3. I don't feel so bad. The novice dogs were all over the place. Yay. Although, that may be me.
 
Chute

Ok you can have Shadow's MACH title if they have a chute but they wont and the wing jumps it depends on what the judge orders.
 
Back
Top