Ugh. :( English Bulldogs...

It just breaks my heart to see this kind of stuff.

At least with Shelties, the worst that we can be accused of is aiming for the elusive tipped ear. Yes, we breed to stay within size, but I don't see any other extremes coming out.

Granted the Sheltie has changed dramatically as well. This a good pictorial as to how our babies have evolved from Toonies to our furry friends today

http://sheltiesofuktype.org/breed history.htm

Although at least if you look at the sheltie of the 1920s and the sheltie 90 years later there is little change, I suppose once they bred in the roughs and got a standard type they figured they had reached perfection and why change it!!:yes:
 
It is interesting to hear you talk about breed size as from what i can see Europe goes for 14.5 inches but America seems to allow upto 16'5 inches. I attended a show with an American judge and no dogs of the British/ Irish size showed and the winner was described as a horse, pony and a donkey.
Can anyone tell me what the international standard is, as i like American shelties.
 
I just watched a show about dogs and vets were on it talking about this exact same thing, and how cruel they think it is also. It is heartbreaking.
Karen
 
It is interesting to hear you talk about breed size as from what i can see Europe goes for 14.5 inches but America seems to allow upto 16'5 inches. I attended a show with an American judge and no dogs of the British/ Irish size showed and the winner was described as a horse, pony and a donkey.
Can anyone tell me what the international standard is, as i like American shelties.

American and Canadian standard is 13"-16". Im thinking international should be the same. However there is a definite difference between the European vs the American looking shelties, the American are heaver boned and not as petite looking, and their heads are more refined looking..well atleast in our eyes:wink2: im sure the European say the same thing about theirs!:smile2:
 
He looks like he can barely breathe, and the skull shape looks really off. He might be a rescue or something, so not the "breed standard" by any means. But I don't know why this is considered okay? It seems so cruel to breed a dog to fit standards that make its life so difficult.

Just adding to it, English Bull Dogs can't give natural birth either. They have to have C-sections. I love German Shepherds but refuse to ever own one because of the hip and back problems they can get. :(

Anyway, shelties are such an easy breed (as far as behavior). We still strive for health, but it's not to the point of having problems like the GSDs or respiratory/birth problems like the Bull Dogs.
 
there is a definite difference between the European vs the American looking shelties, the American are heaver boned and not as petite looking, and their heads are more refined looking..

Well, the heads of the European shelties I can only resemble them to a fox. Their stops are more defined (completely different than the American). I have seen variety for the American heads. My Skipper has a collie head where his stop is basically non-existent. Storm and Phoebe (older full brother and sister
to my Shaine) have very European style heads. Storm was a show dog, but the owner decided he was better as strictly a performance dog, and Phoebe is my parents' house mouse that was never a show prospect. I see a lot more bone in the American shelties (as stated before) but I have never watched a European show so I can't see much of a difference as far as body structure.

Has anyone noticed any difference in body structure, or is there really one?
 
This site has some pics of British and American shelties for comparison.

http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/english/Winners.html

Over here the British line shelties are much finer boned, tendency for shorter bodies and have less full coat than the American lines. And they often have a 'pointier' nose tip (hence the foxy look). But lets face it, whatever the lines they still look like shelties. I would hate to see shelties heading down the path of trying to accentuate particular traits that make each 'type' stand out, or we may head down the path of the bulldog too.
 
I been told Ember has a very English look to her. She is just over 13 " and has a slighter muzzle and finer bone. Her parents were both 16" american type dogs.
 
Boo is 19 in. and 35lbs. & Tucker is about 13 in. and feels to be about 15 lbs. I just got Tucker and haven't had a chance to weight him yet. But small or large they all look like shelties.
Getting back to the Bulldog....my son paid 2100 dollars for his (Sara) he spent over 900 dollars to get her throat fixed so she could breathe easier and just about two weeks ago he spent close to another 900 to remove all of her tail..she continued to get infections under it no matter how clean he kept her. She is so friendly & good. I feel the breeders have destroyed this breed.....:mad:
 
Back
Top