I'm going to wade in on this one I'm afraid...
Regarding bulldogs, I must say that I have seen some around the shows and thought they are "a ruined and terrible form of life" (quote from Lord of the Rings film.) However, not all bulldogs thankfully are like this and there are some that can whelp normally. Having said that, the breed as a whole has become far too exaggerated and there is now movement in the right direction away from this. I acatually thought the dog in the video was far less exaggerated than some I have seen in shows...
GSDs: a breed I used to love, again there seems a lot of distorted dogs around. I'm confused though about these as the top winners must complete a pretty vigorous stamina test which they presumably would not be able to do if they were really crippled. I do wonder why:
a) the breed enthusiasts say that a dog shaped like a bananna is the pinacle of form for an edurance animal. I'm thinking of huskies and wolves which are known for endurance and they are not shaped like this???
b) GSDs have a unique show stance with one hind foot brought forward under the ribcage and the other stretched out behined it. No other breed in any other country stands like this to my knowledge and it is not a natural or I would think comfortable position for a dog to maintain. At Crufts this year I asked someone in the breed about this position and they said the dogs will naturally assume the position? Well my dogs will often stand with one hind foot forward and one back - but not to this degree. Out of interest I tried to make Revel do it and he couldn't/wouldn't. Then (don't laugh) I got down on all fours and tried it myself! Not comfortable but I could definitly see how standing like this would make the rear dip down.
I attended a Breeders Symposium a couple of years ago and asked a leading UK hip specialist whether having accute angulation is a cause of hip dysplasia and was amazed to be told this was not known???
Your thoughts on this would be appreciated
(But I am not trying to stir up a hornets nest - it's just out of interest really as this is getting a lot of interest over here)
and finally..
Shelties. Obviously mine are British/European type which is of course what I'm more familiar with. I think the American heads are more refined and where the standard mentions a stop, there are a lot of shelties here which have stops that are too deep and so lose the lovely parallel planes of the head. (I have read this in show critiques too). UK/Euro heads are more triangular, US heads seem narrower. Also from what I've read and seen I believe shelties world wide have prolems with lack of shoulder angulation. The most obvious differences are in the heads though. But as far as I'm concerned, if it's a sheltie then it's beautiful, stop too deep or not present at all, ears pricked/semi/hound, eyes forward, slanty or small, colour etc- IT DOSN'T REALLY MATTER, THEY'RE ALL GREAT!!!

I can't see a lovely breed like ours getting exaggerated thank goodness, although personally I do think some dogs (world wide) have very heavy coats which makes them look a bit like pekes!! I think the fact that so many shelties compete or just participate in demanding performance discplines like agility proves they're pretty much unaltered physically from the early dogs, which is very reassuring!
Thanks for the two sheltie links by the way. Very interesting.

(Apologies for length of post and if anyone has

while reading it