Update on Blazen

How amazing. That is really a great story. I agree with Barb - it is such a great success I think a lot of people will be interested in how it was done.
 
Truly an amazing transformation. Now she's as pretty outside as she is inside :) We'll be hoping and praying that the perfect family comes along for her.
 
Judy-

That is remarkable and heartwarming. Thank you once again for your determination and dedication to your rescue efforts.
 
Wonderful news!! I was thinking about her and how she was doing......Never imagined she would lose that much weight ever!! Good Job all the rescuers!! Thats half her body weight, she must feel fantastic and able finally be able to run and play!
And yes please pass on the secret to the weight lost...I may need to try it on myself I need to lose about 20 lbs:rolleyes2:
 
Blazen is such a cutie! May I ask what her special needs are? Man, if I was back in Florida I'd want to come up and check her out. She is precious and so are you for taking such wonderful care of her.
 
There is no simple way to say this.... Blazen weighs 19 pounds because we only fed her what a 15 pound dog should eat at each meal. No green beans, no pumpkin, no special diet with egg.....

My vet instructed us to go very slow and that it could take as long as one year for her to lose all of the weight she needed to lose. At 15 pounds a dog should eat no more than 1/4 cup of dog food so thats what she was fed at each meal. She had periodic blood panels drawn to be sure she was at a safe level for her Phenobarbital and thyroid meds.

Our exercise plan started out in the swimming pool. She was so heavy we had to attach her leashes around her torso to help her get into the pool. She would swim every day. We had to build up her muscles and do it with no or low impact exercises. I remember the first few days she huffed and puffed and only managed to swim for three minutes without a rest period. Once the weight started to drop off she began using her legs...so we added some road work with the swimming. Short sedate walks in the yard were added to her daily schedule. Then as she strengthened her muscles we added a little fetch and play time. She is now doing as well as any three year old sheltie could be doing. We are very proud of her and would love to see her happy and healthy in a wonderful forever home.
 
Thanks for the update, I think of Blazen often. Its amazing those are photos of the same dog! You all at the rescue have done a wonderful job with her! I'm sure you'll find the perfect people for her soon!
 
Awesome job Judy !!

Hello everyone

It's been a while since I've given you an update on Miss Blazenheart.. She is the three year old rescue dog we took in back in the early summer. She weighed 44 pounds at the time of her relinquishment. Right now she's a trim 19 pounds and with only four more pounds to lose she is ready to move on to her forever home. She can run and play to her heart's content. That's a far different situation from when we took her in. She was unable to stand up and support her own weight back then. Now with her medication closely regulated she has not had a seizure in four months. Go Blazenheart GO!!

Before at 37 1/2 pounds
Blazen1.jpg


Now at 19 pounds
Blazenupdate.jpg

Blazen thanks you for her extra life she will be able to enjoy due to your hard and determined work. God Bless you. Sheltie hugs to Blazen !:cool:
 
Wow, if you ever tire of Rescue, I think you've got an amazing career as a Fitness Instructor - for humans OR furkids!

It must have been tough going for both of you. What is her maintenance diet now?
 
Back
Top