Ups and Downs with Yogi

Update

I've felt wary of speaking too soon but as of this week, Yogi at last seems to be picking up rather than just 'ticking over'. He has acatually put a bit of weight on and we seem to be having a sucessful gradual transition to the raw food nuggets. Adding sweet potato as someone (can't remember who - sorry) suggested has made a great difference as he is straining far less and pooing reduced quantities and frequencies. He is also back to his normal self in behaviour, easily recognisable due to frequent tellings off!:winkgrin:

I was concerned the insurance might not pay as the vet appeared to have indicated incorrectly on the claim that this has been a long standing issue. This was a worry as this has involved large sums when the referral specialist became involved. Happily however I recieved the cheque on tuesday.:smile2:

I spoke to my vet today and he is reluctant to proceed with the colonoscopy while Yogi is improving as it is invasive and not without risk. I certainly don't want to put Yogi through something like this unnecessarily but on the other hand I'm not convinced it was a simple case of colitis caused by a food allergy/intolerance as the vet is suggesting. I would like to have some answers about the underlying condition/state of the colon so I will know how to proceed if it happens again - which unhappily I suspect it might. We are going to wait 2 weeks and see how he is doing before making any more desicions anyway, and have found a cheaper (and closer) vet who will do the colonoscopy in a day which will greatly reduce the stress for Yogi if we do go ahead with it.

There is only one rather odd thing which is puzzling rather than concerning and that is he dosen't appear to be drinking at all. I'm wondering if the diet of coley, raw food nuggets, sweet potato and hills W/d is so high is water content he just is not requiring any more. On the other hand it is so wet here at the moment he might just be absorbing water where they shaved him!:wink2:
 
I've felt wary of speaking too soon but as of this week, Yogi at last seems to be picking up rather than just 'ticking over'. He has acatually put a bit of weight on and we seem to be having a sucessful gradual transition to the raw food nuggets. Adding sweet potato as someone (can't remember who - sorry) suggested has made a great difference as he is straining far less and pooing reduced quantities and frequencies. He is also back to his normal self in behaviour, easily recognisable due to frequent tellings off!:winkgrin:

I was concerned the insurance might not pay as the vet appeared to have indicated incorrectly on the claim that this has been a long standing issue. This was a worry as this has involved large sums when the referral specialist became involved. Happily however I recieved the cheque on tuesday.:smile2:

I spoke to my vet today and he is reluctant to proceed with the colonoscopy while Yogi is improving as it is invasive and not without risk. I certainly don't want to put Yogi through something like this unnecessarily but on the other hand I'm not convinced it was a simple case of colitis caused by a food allergy/intolerance as the vet is suggesting. I would like to have some answers about the underlying condition/state of the colon so I will know how to proceed if it happens again - which unhappily I suspect it might. We are going to wait 2 weeks and see how he is doing before making any more desicions anyway, and have found a cheaper (and closer) vet who will do the colonoscopy in a day which will greatly reduce the stress for Yogi if we do go ahead with it.

There is only one rather odd thing which is puzzling rather than concerning and that is he dosen't appear to be drinking at all. I'm wondering if the diet of coley, raw food nuggets, sweet potato and hills W/d is so high is water content he just is not requiring any more. On the other hand it is so wet here at the moment he might just be absorbing water where they shaved him!:wink2:

YAY! That's such fabulous news. I'm also pleased to hear about the insurance. I know you're in England, but what company do you use?...

The sweet potato things is a great tip! I've been giving mine a daily toss up between squash, celery, pumpkin, sweet potato, cucumber, carrots and yogurt mixed w/flaxseed and olive oil everyday and Hadley has started pooping so much easier. That poor baby used to strain... now it's just a simple thing to poop! Mine went crazy for summer squash. Hadley wouldn't used to eat veggies but now since she sees the pup do it she gobbles it up... LOL

So glad your boy is doing better :)
 
Yay!!!... This is very good news! I know how you feel about not wanting to speak too soon or get your hopes up too high. Hopefully though, this is the beginning of the road to full recovery and the road won't be too windy or bumpy.

For the past few weeks, whenever I take Miko for a walk and he poops, doesn't poop, strains, has diarrhea, etc... I think of you and Yogi. Hopefully my wish for a healthy 2011 will come true for both of them!!!

Thanks for the update!
 
There is only one rather odd thing which is puzzling rather than concerning and that is he dosen't appear to be drinking at all. I'm wondering if the diet of coley, raw food nuggets, sweet potato and hills W/d is so high is water content he just is not requiring any more. On the other hand it is so wet here at the moment he might just be absorbing water where they shaved him!:wink2:

I'm glad to hear that Yogi is doing better. It's quite likely that his new diet is the reason for the reduced water intake. I had read that dogs on raw drink less and I saw it for myself this weekend when Marlowe had his first raw meal; instead of the 3-4 cups of water he drinks when he is on kibble, he only drank 1 cup that day.
 
very glad to hear that Yogi is improving :yes:- when I saw you had a new post in this thread- I was hoping that it wasn't anything bad.
 
So glad to hear Yogi has had some improvement. I am not sure about the water intake but I am sure someone here can answer that. Just in case though keep your eyes open for signs of dehydration or just give the vet a quick call and double check with them. I know my vet is always happy to answer any questions by phone. Keeping you all in my prayers.
 
Yeah I'm glad Yogi is showing some improvement.

My dogs don't drink as much water on raw as they did on kibble. They get alot more water from rawand there is just not the need. Kibble-10% water raw-70%ish.
 
Back
Top