Velcro dog training

he will take any obstacle in his view.... about 4 jumps in a row before he notices that I stopped Che is also fast so I feel I HAVE to teach him distance and RC , I am behind him most of the time anyway...

Since he isn't responding to you decelerating, I'd go back and teach him to stop at a level where he's more in control, and not as likely to shoot off.
Set up a couple of jumps, and keep him to a walk. Approach the first jump, and the first time, stop a good distance from it to help set him up for success. If he stops, treat him for stopping. Do it a couple more times with a good bit of distance between where you stop and where the jump is, rewarding each time, until he seems to get he has to stop when you stop. Gradually shorten the distance between where you stop and the jump, eventually building up to getting him to stop right close to the jump.
When you go back to running sequences, and declerate, I would greatly exaggerate the deceleration so he really gets it, and sees that you are decelerating. You should be moving at a pretty good rate, and then REALLY decelerate HARD. Make it very obvious to him that you are slowing down.
 
Last edited:
I like this thread, as I need to work on exactly this with Maia! I will have to try some of these suggestions when I go practice with her next time.
 
our teacher told me in class last night that Cranberry is alternating between checking in with me (velcro sheltie) and being a herding dog (keeping his distance). I have no idea what to do about that but I am frequently reminded that he is still a 'baby dog' so maybe when he grows up, we'll have everything figured out :winkgrin:
 
Since he isn't responding to you decelerating, I'd go back and teach him to stop at a level where he's more in control, and not as likely to shoot off.
Set up a couple of jumps, and keep him to a walk. Approach the first jump, and the first time, stop a good distance from it to help set him up for success. If he stops, treat him for stopping. Do it a couple more times with a good bit of distance between where you stop and where the jump is, rewarding each time, until he seems to get he has to stop when you stop. Gradually shorten the distance between where you stop and the jump, eventually building up to getting him to stop right close to the jump.
When you go back to running sequences, and declerate, I would greatly exaggerate the deceleration so he really gets it, and sees that you are decelerating. You should be moving at a pretty good rate, and then REALLY decelerate HARD. Make it very obvious to him that you are slowing down.

Got it- idea that when we run if I signal he should stop at the heeling/ or so/ position next to me no matter what favorite obstacle in front of him...
now what about go outs and dog suppose to go straight line taking obstacles in his path unless directed otherwise even when I am not moving...
 
So last nights training was interesting. For the most part, we were working RC's on things we don't typically, so that was good (i.e. I can't do a RC to weaves, that's for sure, lol) and some handler focused work, however, I turned it into distance work. (I haven't talked with the trainer yet, will do that during non-class time).

However, one thing we have an issue with is our A-frame contact, same as Bentley. Ashley was kind enough to share her Stuart Mah videos with me and so I tried his "work around" with Koji (after making sure they had the same issue). So, I put food down on the down side of the contact (far away so it wouldn't be a 2o2o, but close enough that he should see it), and my instructor was like, what are you doing? I said, "I'm putting food down, so he'll learn to keep his head down and focus on the contacts, versus focusing on me or things ahead of him", she said, "when's the last time we worked him on the box?", I said, "I don't know, his a-frame issues come and go". So she kinda got huffy at that point and was like, "okay I'm backing off, you do what you want". and I was like peeved at that. Like the box is the ONLY answer (obviously, it hasn't helped any of his issues....but its more likely because we don't work it all the time - the obstacle nor the box).

So he ran, saw the food, but strangely bypassed it to keep running. I was shocked. He totally didn't see it, even though I showed it to him before we ran. He wouldn't even set-up straight cuz he knew food was "over there". He forgot about the food after 4 obstacles. LOL. I tried again (after showing him the food) and he did it correctly, kept his head down I let him eat and moved on. My instructor said, "oh, I get it now". And I said, "exactly, it's a quick fix to get him to remember to focus downward, not on me. We can work the box more another day since we're not focusing on the A-frame today".

But seriously, I know I don't want to teach my dog incorrectly and she's the trainer, but at the same time, I know my dog and I see him at trials. What he does here, doesn't equate trials.

I need to have that talk with her. And am thinking maybe I'll find someone (good) to do a private "seminar training" session with. I think my trainer sees only a small fraction of the issues I have when I run. Could be a space issue (we're indoors, it's big, but not course size). But I have no clue.
 
So last nights training was interesting. For the most part, we were working RC's on things we don't typically, so that was good (i.e. I can't do a RC to weaves, that's for sure, lol) and some handler focused work, however, I turned it into distance work. (I haven't talked with the trainer yet, will do that during non-class time).

However, one thing we have an issue with is our A-frame contact, same as Bentley. Ashley was kind enough to share her Stuart Mah videos with me and so I tried his "work around" with Koji (after making sure they had the same issue). So, I put food down on the down side of the contact (far away so it wouldn't be a 2o2o, but close enough that he should see it), and my instructor was like, what are you doing? I said, "I'm putting food down, so he'll learn to keep his head down and focus on the contacts, versus focusing on me or things ahead of him", she said, "when's the last time we worked him on the box?", I said, "I don't know, his a-frame issues come and go". So she kinda got huffy at that point and was like, "okay I'm backing off, you do what you want". and I was like peeved at that. Like the box is the ONLY answer (obviously, it hasn't helped any of his issues....but its more likely because we don't work it all the time - the obstacle nor the box).

So he ran, saw the food, but strangely bypassed it to keep running. I was shocked. He totally didn't see it, even though I showed it to him before we ran. He wouldn't even set-up straight cuz he knew food was "over there". He forgot about the food after 4 obstacles. LOL. I tried again (after showing him the food) and he did it correctly, kept his head down I let him eat and moved on. My instructor said, "oh, I get it now". And I said, "exactly, it's a quick fix to get him to remember to focus downward, not on me. We can work the box more another day since we're not focusing on the A-frame today".

But seriously, I know I don't want to teach my dog incorrectly and she's the trainer, but at the same time, I know my dog and I see him at trials. What he does here, doesn't equate trials.

I need to have that talk with her. And am thinking maybe I'll find someone (good) to do a private "seminar training" session with. I think my trainer sees only a small fraction of the issues I have when I run. Could be a space issue (we're indoors, it's big, but not course size). But I have no clue.

Cheryl, Bentley did the same thing at first when we put the target down. He would forget it was there, or jump over and then go back to get it, etc... Stuart told us to show it to him, and even allow him to come back and get it. We also had to go back to a really good treat (using boring stuff isn't as rewarding as bounding off, I guess!) to get Bentley to think about it.

What is the box? I don't think I've ever heard of that before. Is it the Rachel Sanders box method?

I'm sorry that you and your trainer butted heads. That sounds really frustrating. It's not like you are trying to ignore what she said, you are just trying a different approach since what you're doing isn't working. We met a lot of opposition from some of our instructors when we decided to go to running contacts, so I sort of know how you feel. It's one of those things where knowing your dog really comes into play. Running contacts may not be right for most dogs, but for Bentley, it changed his entire outlook on agility. And that's something that really, only his owners might be able to tell.
 
our teacher told me in class last night that Cranberry is alternating between checking in with me (velcro sheltie) and being a herding dog (keeping his distance). I have no idea what to do about that but I am frequently reminded that he is still a 'baby dog' so maybe when he grows up, we'll have everything figured out :winkgrin:

Oh jeez. Good luck with that one. I'm thinking Cranberry will be a good little boy and go with "obstacle focused". ;)
 
That's actually a good thing about Cranberry. :) A dog who has a nice balance between obstacle and handler focus is ideal. Either of the other extremes can bite you... though given a choice, I would MUCH rather have an obstacle focused dog over handler focused any day. I don't like having a dog stuck to my side, and fortunately, unless I have a dog with no confidence, the way I train seems to produce an independent dog who tends toward being more obstacle focused.
 
Cheryl, Bentley did the same thing at first when we put the target down. He would forget it was there, or jump over and then go back to get it, etc... Stuart told us to show it to him, and even allow him to come back and get it. We also had to go back to a really good treat (using boring stuff isn't as rewarding as bounding off, I guess!) to get Bentley to think about it.

What is the box? I don't think I've ever heard of that before. Is it the Rachel Sanders box method?

I'm sorry that you and your trainer butted heads. That sounds really frustrating. It's not like you are trying to ignore what she said, you are just trying a different approach since what you're doing isn't working. We met a lot of opposition from some of our instructors when we decided to go to running contacts, so I sort of know how you feel. It's one of those things where knowing your dog really comes into play. Running contacts may not be right for most dogs, but for Bentley, it changed his entire outlook on agility. And that's something that really, only his owners might be able to tell.

I had a bit of opposition with my running contacts too, but I said I wanted him to be fast. lol. Obviously, it didn't work cuz he became bouncy. I refuse to do A-frame 2o2o also, but it's just my belief of being too hard on their bodies. That's slightly another reason I'm doing a more "4-on" at the bottom.

Oh, the box thing is Rachel Sanders. Had to go look it up. lol.
Definitely a great way of training, if you work on it. Maybe I need to go make a PVC square at home and work on that.
 
Back
Top