Well, Bacca is driving me crazy.....

Ah yes... sounds like Capers the nibbler (who just happens to be a resource guarder) and the gobbler labrador that I had. Capers just taunted Ginger by her slowness, which I believe was also deliberate, then nailed her if she got too close.

As long as Bacca is eating, I think that a time limit is useful. I'd also get rid of the hand feeding (extra attention).

I have to segregate my two. Capers gets her food first (for a head start); then Snap has to "work" before he gets his and his is served in his crate.
 
Ultimately you are making him a pickier and pickier eater. Why eat it in your crate alone when you can have mommy right there and make Indy jealous - it's a lot more fun!

Laika never eats her food all at once unless she is really hungry that day. Aztec learned very quickly that he got corrected for eating from her bowl - so being a smart sheltie, he used to literally go and pick up pieces of kibble from her bowl and drop it in his own bowl, and then eat it! He is a chow hound!

I don't know how many times a day you feed them. But if you feed twice a day, give Bacca his food for 15 minutes, than take it away if he doesn't eat it. Give him a second chance in the evening - for 15 minutes. It is hard for us when the dogs are sick, but they will wrap you around their paws if you don't keep them unspoiled.
 
Welcome to my world, Barb! Layla is the world's pickiest eater. And of course, I don't help it a bit. When I'm gone on a trip, Layla gets 15 minutes to eat -- and if she doesn't, my husband just puts it on the counter. After a day or so of this, she eats fine. But when I come back, she wants Mom to sit with her and watch her and tell her what a good eater she is. Like a fool, I do it -- drives my family nuts! Recommendation: do as they say, and NOT as I do! :biggrin2:
 
When I give treats, they sit in front of me. I have a treat in each hand, and they both receive at the same time. If we had four dogs that would be a problem:lol:

HA!
Try treats for FIVE. I have them sit in a row and go down the row...but Emma gets first in line and then she MOVES DOWN AND SITS AGAIN within the row!! :lol: It doesn't help that Indy has trouble seeing and hearing the treats commands and I have to spend more time making sure he knows the treat is his...or one of the little young fast boogers will grab his treat!

And trust me, you can't say 'drop it' fast enough for the treat to still be there.
 
HA!
Try treats for FIVE. I have them sit in a row and go down the row...but Emma gets first in line and then she MOVES DOWN AND SITS AGAIN within the row!! :lol: It doesn't help that Indy has trouble seeing and hearing the treats commands and I have to spend more time making sure he knows the treat is his...or one of the little young fast boogers will grab his treat!

And trust me, you can't say 'drop it' fast enough for the treat to still be there.

granite that is great, you are a good mom to all these shelties. You, sheltiemom, chris, and others have 3 and 4, oh my. I can vision them in a straight line, and that is so funny with Emma.
 
Thanks all! I'm going to implement the new "plan" tomorrow or the next day

Today hit an all time low....Indy is so stressed out by the food taunting that he's now sniping and snarling at Bacca. And Bacca's saying "What's your problem? Can't you take a joke? Come on! Now that I've finally finished eating, lets' play!"

I'm was thinking of rearranging my dog gates, pens, crates, etc. anyway, so I'll do it with feeding in mind. Neither boy really needs to be crated during the day anymore, but I do want to contain them into my great room.
 
Laika never eats her food all at once unless she is really hungry that day. Aztec learned very quickly that he got corrected for eating from her bowl - so being a smart sheltie, he used to literally go and pick up pieces of kibble from her bowl and drop it in his own bowl, and then eat it! He is a chow hound!

Try treats for FIVE. I have them sit in a row and go down the row...but Emma gets first in line and then she MOVES DOWN AND SITS AGAIN within the row!!

very very smart dogs- sounds like good video possibilities :wink2:
 
They are all too damned smart! They mess with our heads and they mess with each other.

Forget a behavourist for the dogs. I need a psych to help ME deal with my dogs. Blasted creatures! :(:biggrin2:
 
I love Emma's strategy!! I do the "Everybody sit" thing too, and now Beckon has caught on. Now whenever I get out a treat, he sits before I can even give the command. I have to stand him up so I can say "Sit." He looks at me like I'm nuts! :lol:
 
Back
Top