We've Lost a Great One: Angus

Sheltie Nation has lost a great, great Sheltie. Sheep's beloved Angus died yesterday from ingesting rodent poison (not Sheep's doing). Despite Sheep's rapid action in getting him to the vet, Angus lost his battle.

Heaven has to exist, because a Sheltie like Angus can't just vanish. Run in joy, beautiful boy.

Sheep, sending all the love in the world.
What terrible news, so very sorry to hear about Angus. I have only been here for a short time but enjoyed reading of Angus- we have an Angus too. Shelties have such good noses they find everything and some of it is so scary bad it leaves us all worrying. I had a Irish setter that ate most of a box of Decon once and took him to the vet and the vet said nothing he could do at that point- he kept him overnight and he survived but we were lucky. Again so sorry so I along with so many here can empathize with that hole in your heart today and we all grieve and understand.
 
I STRONGLY doubt this is was malicious or intentional. I know my neighbors and none would do anything like that. In fact I was more worried about JJ Angus pal from the other side of the fence, I had not seen him but I think he is OK. Also searched the yard and no debris or anything so Spitfire is OK.
I am sure the poison my Aussie, Buddy, ingested was not meant for dogs but for controlling the skunk population. It is impossible to completely protect our dogs no matter how hard we try. Buddy picked up the bait in a popular dog walking area while he was on lead. You just never know.
 
It makes sense though, He lost 1/3rd of his family and he doesn't want to lose you too. It's his way of saying he loves you.and needs you. For awhile he might be like Teddy is with me and become a Velcro pup. It happens sometimes when you only have one. I hope you both are doing okay.
 
We have always had two shelties and we have seen the puzzlement they have when one dies. We had a girl who went to the door for nearly a year and each time looked at us as if to question, was he was on the other side?, we would open the door and she would look outside then walk off. When we lost our 15 yr old our 10 yr old was lost and seemed to get depressed, we lost her a year later...I don't think they understand exactly but they know something has happened and it painful cause they look to us to fix the problem and we can't..
 
Awwwww I was wondering how Spitfire was doing (and you too of course Sheep)… it’s gotta be confusing for him.
I know when I lost Riley Piper wasn’t phased by it but when I lost my Cocker Daisy Riley (who’d been with her for only a year) was lost without her. He search the house and yard looking for her.
People who say dogs don’t feel grief are just wrong.
Take care of yourself Sheep and give some extra pats to Spitfire from us.
 
Katy and Bailey were really bonded but she seemed to understand when Bailey made his last trip to the vet that he wasn't coming back. Despite the fact Katy died at home so she knows she is dead, Annie is having a much harder time realizing Katy is not coming back. It is heart breaking at times as we all are missing her something terrible. Annie came along fairly quickly after Bailey passed so that might have helped her adapt.
 
Back
Top