What are the benefits of more than one Sheltie?

I've been debating this question myself. My husband and I only have one Sheltie -- Callie -- and my daughter and her husband own Callie's sister, Shelby. I've noticed that Callie is much less demanding when Shelby is over playing, but that's usually only once or twice a month.

On the other hand, Callie is jealous enough when I'm holding one of our two new grandsons that I'm not sure how she'd react to another dog that wanted her Mom's attention. We've frequently had two dogs at a time, but it's mostly been one indoor dog and one outdoor dog.

With both of us working full-time I feel guilty about being gone from Callie as much as we are though. That makes me wonder if adding another one is only unfair to another dog that wouldn't have humans home during the day, or if two of them would mean that they could play together while we were gone.

It's a hard decision to make!
 
On three separate occasions, I brought home a second Sheltie because I thought my Bambi was lonesome for company when we were gone to work, but with every introduction, Bambi became a totally different dog i.e. she would not stay in the same room with dog #2, wouldn't even look in their directions, would not eat and even had an accident in the house that she had NEVER, never done, not even as a puppy, so I think I would think long and hard about adding this second baby, it will cause lots of changes for everyone and they may not be the changes you are looking for. Good luck.
 
I totally agree with those saying to think very hard about adding another sheltie. When our Shelby passed away our husky was 5 years old and missed him very much. Huskies are very much pack animals so we thought he could use a friend but I didn't want another large dog so two months after Shelby passed we brought home Meadow at eight months of age. At first things went alright until we realized Meadow was a very reactive, anxious dog and our husky, Shilo decided he didn't want much to do with her. After a couple of years we thought maybe Meadow would do well with a playmate to keep up with her ( once it grew older of course).With the help of our breeder we choose a pup that would get along with Meadow. We brought Reno home and Meadow and Shilo accepted him very well. Unfortunately when Reno grew older he picked up some of Meadow's reactive habits so now we have 2 reactive shelties:gaah It has made for many challenges and a lot of patience and constant vigilance. I love all my babies to death and would never be without them as they are my life but in hindsight I would not have brought Reno into our home.
 
:hugsThank you one and all for your responses. They all are helping me to decide.

I was talking to Steve last night, he likes the idea, in fact, he told me he wants to get her for me for Christmas. I did hear from the breeder last night, she is delighted that we want her, she said she really trusts us and knows we would give Brydie a good home.

Brydie is Laddies' sister, I feel he would get along fine with her, he loves all dogs, probably too much at times, LOL. She is 13 inches, he is 14. She was going to be a show dog, but since she is too small, the breeder wants her to have a good home. She is not asking a lot for her, just the spay fee and the fee to fly her to us plus 100.00, this amounts to approximately 450.00. She said since she is not a puppy and will not be shown, she wants us to have her for that price. Laddie was 800.00. She has had all her shots, so none are due until next year. I know that if for some reason she did not work out, she would take her back, she is EXTREMELY caring about her dogs, and would not want her unhappy.

As to the training, well, I am learning with Laddie, and I can pass that on to her, I doubt if I would reattend the classes, the trainers do not work with the dogs, they teach us how to, so, I can pass my knowledge on.

I emailed the breeder this morning, I have asked her a few questions to make sure all will be well. I should hear from her this evening. I have asked about her diet, if she is leash trained and housebroken, what toys she likes, how she is with others and other dogs, etc. I assume she is leash trained and housebroken, she has been living with Barb's daughter, (Barb is the breeder), and she trains dogs as well. Anyway, I want all bases covered.

I am feeling good about all this, but, never fear, if I can tell it will NOT work, she goes back to other home, I know Barb would agree.

Thank you all again, you are good friends, Laddie thanks you as well.:hugs

I forgot to add, I do not work, so, when I am not working with Laddie, all I do is sit on my behind and do nothing, having another "Sheltie child" will help fill in that gap, I love working with dogs.
 
Last edited:
After reading this thread I am counting my blessings, because my stories are all positive. Our first singleton sheltie had such bad separation anxiety, I got two the next time. Cal and Mack were good buds their whole lives, despite being total opposites in personality.
Bringing Koko into the family has been nothing but a joy for both Fillion and me. He is such a good influence on his son. Perhaps it works so well because of the age difference and the breeder knowing her dogs.
I hope, if you decide to add to your pack, that you will have the same chemistry between your dogs that I do.
 
Ah ha, just read your reply. It sounds like you have things very worked out and it is great the breeder understands. At this point, I hope it proceeds smoothly and she fills the hole in your heart that you need filled. It's important to be whole.
 
Last edited:
This decision is huge. There are perks to two dogs. There are perks to one dog. Everything will change with two. Most things work themselves out or can be compensated for with some management adjustments. If as a first step you and your husband agree to the cost of the dog, the cost of the changes in food and care, and the changes that will come along in day to day activities from training to feeding to sleeping arrangements to common care, then you should investigate further.

Next, your husband will have to be more willing to let Laddie come to him because Laddie will need a buddy. You stated your husband is a lab guy, but is he willing to be a Laddie guy? If not, it is kind of unfair for Laddie to be pushed aside. Not that he will have to entirely take Laddie over, but he will just need to be interactive. If your husband is OK with that, then investigate further.

Next, you stated you met this girl and adored each other when she was little but she was on breeder hold. I would suggest, if you and your husband want to consider this, that you take a trip to the breeder. You go in first and see if she and you click on the deepest level. Visit for awhile. You will know pretty darned quickly if she will fill the hole. You getting another dog is not about anything but the hole in your heart. There is no guarantee she will fill it, but I imagine you will know quickly because when you first hold her you will sob if she is the One (the One with the capital O). She will respond to you like the friend she has been waiting for if she is the One. You need to be honest with yourself and willing to walk away if she is not an instant love at first sight. If you hold her and you cannot imagine another human spending life with her, if you cannot imagine her spending a day without you, that's the one. Go to feel, not go to get. Only get if you feel the click. If yes, investigate further.

At that point, go for a walk, you, the husband, Laddie, and the little girl. If they fall in step like two dogs pulling a sleigh, it is a good sign. Then go in and have some off-leash time. Who runs to whom? How do they interact with each other? If everything looks amicable, that's a good sign though things can change at home.

IF and only IF you feel the click of souls and see that the two dogs are good together, you should truly make the decision. Would the breeder be willing to take her back if she does not fill your need and/or get along with Laddie at home? It's important that she fill the hole in your heart and not just be you now having two dogs and feeling empty.

I have done this process. It's not about ordering up a pup from a breeder. It's not about just adding any dog. It's about the happiness you hunt for and you must truly make sure she is the one to do it. The rest of the stuff works itself out most of the time.

I am thinking of you because I have faced this exact same thing.
Steve and I have been discussing it, he does not jump into ANYTHING fast, being a surveyor, I guess, has taught him to think out things, he seems to be fine with our decision to adopt her.

He is DEFINITELY a Laddie guy, he simply adores him, I know he will love having Laddie to do more things with, in fact, I think he changed to a "Laddie guy" a few days after we brought Laddie home. There are sure no worries there. Laddie loves him as well.

Sadly, we can not go down to where she is, you see, she is not with the breeder, she is with her daughter and that is really far from us, Steve has lots of jobs piled up, and the cost of gas is awful here, however, I know that if it does not work, the breeder will be more than happy to take her back, she really cares about the dogs she places in homes. I have asked her a lot of questions as I stated in an earlier post, if I pick up any bad vibes from her answers, I will stop the idea then and there.

The breeder, Barb, knows Laddie well, and she feels it will be a good match, dog-wish, that is. I will make a special effort when we get home to do a lot of what you mentioned, such as the walks, being a lone with her, etc. Don't worry, I will truly make an effort to see how it will be, and, as I said, if I can tell it is a "no go" Steve and I have agreed to give her back to the owner.

Thanks so much for caring.:hugs
 
All the best with your new girl if it works out. I wouldn't trade ANY of my three but I doubt I would have more than one again (that's what I say now!).
 
Thanks again everyone for caring. I will continue to leave updates, I am excited. :hugs

I am going to the breeders site and try to copy some pics of her, I will post them in my album.
 
Back
Top