What are the benefits of more than one Sheltie?

You are welcome. I have been blessed with two soulmates - Quasar & Shay - and three really fabulous dogs - Holly, Mayson, & Melli - who I loved very much. I get it and I didn't want you to miss the whole reason. What is meant to be will find a way.
 
I am going to be honest here, I don't think two dogs are always a good idea.
Are you sure you'd get the new dog for the right reasons, and how would you feel if the dog would bond more with your husband again...
With some of the uncertainties you're going through make sure it won't be too much?
Twice the vet bills, twice the going to classes trip, twice the stress, twice the training and giving each of the dogs one on one training separately...
I am in the process of relocating, and it's SO much harder with two dogs and added stress. Although of course I wouldn't change having both my boys, I did a lot of hard talking to myself for a long time, and waited for the right dog for me and Toffee, and then it became fate, lol
The benefits were solely for me, Toffee didn't care if he gets a little, goofy brother and the cats certainly felt like moving out for a bit, lollll Benefits are for me since I LOVE Shelties, and I love training and playing with them and competing in agility

Just cautioning to not make an emotional decision just because that one girl is available RIGHT now, as adorable as I am sure she is... This kinda thing is done best with a lot of research and soul searching and not an emotional response only.
 
Last edited:
I'm with Toffee's mom, I don't think two dogs is always a good idea. If you are having any issues with one dog it is going to be amplified with two. Plus you are still bonding and working things through with Laddie and it will make things a lot harder. It is a lot of work to have two dogs and I must say I find it more difficult being home all the time than I did when I was working. You just never get away from the dogs, never get time alone and it is really hard to go away or get someone to mind two dogs. For years I had a sheltie and a cat and I must say it was a much easier combination.

Getting another sheltie because one is available isn't really the best way to do it. It should be something to do when you are ready, then you don't have to make a rush decision. It doesn't sound like Steve is totally against the idea of getting another dog, just waiting, which sounds reasonable. So maybe this will plant the seed for something to think about for the future. Don't worry about the breeder - a sheltie that size will probably be snapped up by an agility or flyball person, the smaller the better for them.
 
I have 5 dogs. But if I had it to do over again, I'd be happy with just my 2 boys and Dixie. F-kap and I were meant to be, Jody and I were meant to be, and Dixie and I were meant to be. It was love at first sight for us, and I was ready for another dog at the time. My mom wanted a dog, but she wasn't ready for one, and still isn't today, so I take care of Sarah for her. I wanted a little girl for showing, Dixie couldn't show, so I got Ida when I shouldn't have (she can't show anyway!). Yes I wanted another dog, but I wasn't ready nor was I aware of the 4 dog limit. Bad things happen when you do things you shouldn't. You need to look at what is best for you, Steve, and Laddie.

A second dog in the future may be grate for all of you, but you need to know for a fact if it's the best thing right now. If it is, that's wonderful, and I'm so happy for you! If it's not, be patient, give it time, things will work out in the end.
 
Old Elizabethan song:

Nature two eyes hath given,
All beauty to impart,
As well in Earth as Heaven,
But she hath given one heart.
That, though we see,
Ten thousand beauties, yet in us,
One should be:
One steadfast love,
Because our hearts stand fixed,
Although our eyes do move.
 
Glad you are communicating with hubby. It made me smile to hear that you were talking things through.

As to adding a Sheltie, you have been given good advice. When I was offered Liam, I was going through testing for possible cancer. I didn't have it, but added Liam. He is my sweet boy. I added Natalie when she was offered to me - I was the only one the breeder would give her to. At the time, I was under a lot of stress being a caregiver to my Dad. It was tough. I am glad I have all three - they have kept me sane. But in hindsight, I probably would not have added to my household. It is hard, as has been mentioned. When I am training, all three want to do it at the same time. If I crate two, then they are upset and jealous of the one not crated and I hear about it. I have had major expenses with each of them, just this week a huge dental bill for Emma (the second in just over a year).

Good luck in your search for your new dog. When the timing is right and the right dog is available, you will have no questions, no doubts about it. God will provide the one you need when you need it.
 
Since dogs are pack animals by nature having "siblings" can be a plus for many of them...but not all dogs feel this way. I think it is really important to gage the personality of each dog who would be involved if you added this little gal and most important to be sure that you really want this particular dog.

Every dog added adds significant needs both in time and in cost. We have multiple dogs, but my husband and I are both retired and home full time and for both of us the focus of our days is our dogs. If we were both still working (even though my work as an artist was home based), or still had children to care for, there is no way we could devote the time needed to provide what I would consider a truly fulfilling life for more than 1 or 2 dogs at most.

Best wishes with whatever you decide. :)

Trini
 
I have a question or two.

First, is it better to have two Shelties instead of one. LOL, now, I know that most everyone here has more than one, and so the answer will be "yes" but seriously, what is the benefit of two? Does it help keep them calmer, etc.

Second, I just heard from Laddie's breeder, she is trying to find a home for Laddies little sister, she is too small to show but very beautiful. I want her so badly, but my husband is bulking, but, I may go over his head. She is 13 inches, too small to show, so the lady tells me, so, I am not sure what price she is selling her for. I probably don't need another dog, but I so want this one.

What are your thoughts on this?
I would wait. I'm used to 6-4 shelties at one time all my life (parents showed and bred) and it was awesome! But, there were 5 of us in one house. Not so hard to manage. As we got older, it was basically my parents and me taking care of the dogs because my brothers were no longer dog people. Now, my parents have 3 dogs and it's just the two of them. It's hard.

I would like to point out, down here we had no dogs. I then convinced my parents Honey would come and live with me because basically I was bored, unhappy, wanted my cuddle bug with me. So, last christmas Honey moved to NC with me. All was dandy. She actually had more energy and was eager to play. Basically, she was a puppy again at age 8, going on 9. All was fine and awesome!

We then got Ruutu (who I was on the list to own since I was 17, was 23 when we got Ruu) Honey hates pups, I knew this going in since we have had pups around her since getting her. Needless to say, sometimes she tolerates Ruu and sometimes she doesn't.

But, for your situation, I would hold off. They'd be the same age, go through the same stages. You'd have to train twice as hard. It's a lot of work. I train both of mine in Agility and like you, I have to travel a good bit to train. I drive an hour each way for classes. I did have Honey and Ruu entered at the same time. Two different days, different classes, different places (price difference so I wanted Ruu in the cheaper, distance was same). It got hectic, we missed all but 5 of Honey's classes because we were either busy, sick or exhausted.

If you still want two, I would do at least a meet and great with the girl, you by yourself. Then another one with Laddie and you. See how they interact. You stand back and observe. If they seem to interact well and play nicely (no growling) then I would suggest you ask the breeder to do a trial run. Not necessarily saying you will get her, but take her home, give it a week and see how life is. If you could live every day that way, then I would buy her. BUT not until trying it out. 2 dogs are a handful and I would never want two dogs the same age. Luckily Honey sleeps a lot while Ruutu has his antics that he's always up to.
 
I'm with Toffee's mom, I don't think two dogs is always a good idea. If you are having any issues with one dog it is going to be amplified with two. Plus you are still bonding and working things through with Laddie and it will make things a lot harder. It is a lot of work to have two dogs and I must say I find it more difficult being home all the time than I did when I was working. You just never get away from the dogs, never get time alone and it is really hard to go away or get someone to mind two dogs. For years I had a sheltie and a cat and I must say it was a much easier combination.

Getting another sheltie because one is available isn't really the best way to do it. It should be something to do when you are ready, then you don't have to make a rush decision. It doesn't sound like Steve is totally against the idea of getting another dog, just waiting, which sounds reasonable. So maybe this will plant the seed for something to think about for the future. Don't worry about the breeder - a sheltie that size will probably be snapped up by an agility or flyball person, the smaller the better for them.
I also agree with this. Laddie might get sad and defensive on you giving someone else his time. Honey now favors my fiance over me. It's odd because she has been my girl since I was in middle school and now I'm being picked second. But Ruutu loves me over daddy. But I also spend more time with Ruu than Honey now. Honey loves me, but she knows if she wants full attention, off to daddy she goes.
 
I'm with Toffee's Mom and Caro. You have to think about why you want another dog. I don't believe in getting a 2nd dog just to tire out your first dog. You have to take care of this second dog, feed it, train it, give it attention, bring it to the vet. All while still taking care of your first dog. And the second dog will most likely pick up unwanted behaviors from your first dog, so now you'll have two dogs barking at the phone, chasing chasing cars, pulling on leash, etc.

Plus, I know you get upset when Laddie gets excited for other people. There is no guarantee that a second dog won't do the same thing. There is a chance the second dog will bond more with Laddie or your husband than you and then you might be disappointed.

I have one dog and at times do think about bring home another, but I know now is not the right time. My dog has many behavioral issues and wants a lot of attention. Having a second dog will only add to the stress of her issues, plus then I'll have to give a second dog my attention and I don't have enough time or energy for that.

I did like having two dogs growing up. I can't really think of a benefit of having more than one, other that I like dogs and it was just nice to have two companions. My two dogs growing up had very mellow temperaments. They were easy-going, liked strangers and were well mannered, so it was easy to manage two dogs at the same time.
 
Back
Top