what is a puppy mill?

I'm with Ainsley's mom all the way.

In MA you have to license your dog every year, you need proof of rabies vaccination to get a license and there's a small fee, a little larger fee if they are not spayed or neutered. it doesn't make a huge difference though because a lot of people just never do it at all, if you had a dog licensed one year and don't the next they don't come check and see if you still have the dog, it's not really enforced in most places.
Here in NC when I went to the town hall and asked if they had anything like this or a leash law they just looked at me like I was stupid, here where they really need it, it seems like it never even occurred to anyone to do it...
 
I'm loving this thread! I'm learning alot about how things are done in your various states/countries, which is great coz I'm working with the SPCA and other non-govt animal welfare organisations and an interest group on puppymills and how we can stop them and just, generally help the whole situation. Your discussions are all very constructive and the same questions and issues raised will likely be brought up around the table. What a complex problem this is and it definitely deserves thinking about.
 
I'm with Ainsley's mom all the way.

In MA you have to license your dog every year, you need proof of rabies vaccination to get a license and there's a small fee, a little larger fee if they are not spayed or neutered. it doesn't make a huge difference though because a lot of people just never do it at all, if you had a dog licensed one year and don't the next they don't come check and see if you still have the dog, it's not really enforced in most places.
Here in NC when I went to the town hall and asked if they had anything like this or a leash law they just looked at me like I was stupid, here where they really need it, it seems like it never even occurred to anyone to do it...
Careful what you hope for or you will get some overbearing control freak like the one stopping Caro from running her pup.

Besides law does not mean compliance, Dow never had a dog tag in his 15 years. He was always well cared for and in a fence though.

Sca is on the straight and narrow though with a tag (that he only wears sometimes) and a tracking chip (not GPS enabled though :lol: )
 
True, I just wish there was more being done to help with the over population problem in my area, it's really out of controle.
 
True, I just wish there was more being done to help with the over population problem in my area, it's really out of controle.

How about tax breaks for landlords that allow pets?

How about free or low-cost behavioral training for both people and dogs?

Those two things would help take care of two of the biggest reasons dogs are given to shelters.
 
How about free or low-cost behavioral training for both people and dogs?

I love that idea. The RSPCA here has behavioural consults - but the price is ridiculously high, and dearer than just surrendering the dog. People will sometimes turn up to the dog club as the cheapest solution and expect the trainers there to fix their dogs, which is unfair for everyone.

And though I am totally against puppies in pet shops, while we have them there should be stricter controls like a cooling off period and preliminary info to prepare people for the commitment, heck there are more controls on buying a car than there is a pet.
 
Back
Top