Bad news about Hadley from Austin

I think you made the right decision in charging a small fee. There are too many crazies out there, or at least irresponsible people. If you can't afford a small rehoming fee, how will you be able to afford food, vet bills, etc?

I also agree that you should try to screen the prospective homes the best that you can. I have heard many horror stories, and I know you want the best for the puppies.
 
I don't want them to go to homes like the one Hadley came from. Or some idiot who thinks since they are half Sheltie they can try to breed them and make money off them. I would even be willing to refund the small fee after I received proof of spay/neuter. I hope it doesn't cost me too much but Hadley is already eating close to triple what she was before! So Im afraid that's too much to ask for ha! I guess having 5 grandfurbabies can't be cheap! haha.
 
I don't want them to go to homes like the one Hadley came from. Or some idiot who thinks since they are half Sheltie they can try to breed them and make money off them. I would even be willing to refund the small fee after I received proof of spay/neuter. I hope it doesn't cost me too much but Hadley is already eating close to triple what she was before! So Im afraid that's too much to ask for ha! I guess having 5 grandfurbabies can't be cheap! haha.


What is Hadley's story?? I'll search for it here on the forum if it's already posted, so sorry if I ask a repeat :uhoh:
 
Well I got her from someone who said they have ten other dogs and their HOA was making her get rid of five. She lived outside full-time and the second day I got her I was brushing her and noticed she had blood down there and when I wiped her more blood came out. I rushed her to the vet who determined she had an awful bladder infection, earmites, mats behind her ears, really long nails, and fleas. They told me she had just been groomed (I think they did it their self because she had a few other bald spot behind her ears) I emailed the owner immediately and she claimed she didn't even know what an ear mite was-- having 10 dogs and never heard of earmites? I got her all doctored up and had to get her shots because the owner kept ignoring me when I asked to produce the records. We paid $200 for her which I do think is way too much for a dog without papers but she needed a home so I would of paid way more than that. Previous owner claims she got her when she was a baby and paid $650 for her but she wasn't registered. Just a mess!
 
in case you decide that you do not want to name it rehoming fee, you can ask people to give donation to your favorite shelter/ rescue group. But people def should spend some effort getting those precious babies.
 
I think you're doing a wonderful job and you're right they are your babies now.
Along with food,worming,shots you are also committing your time to raising these pups in a sociable,and safe environment. I feel whether a dog has papers or not does not determine whether you should pay for them or not. When I bought my Lacey Collie/Samoyed mix the woman had the dogs advertised for $150.00 I had no problem with that. She had breed these dogs (on purpose by the way) she had sold this mix for years the dogs were smart,beautiful and had great dispositions. She was the smartest dog I ever owned. Back to my point sorry. She took care of them and made sure they were healthy and also invested her money for shots etc. so if I wanted a lovely dog why shouldn't I pay. If I were you I would ask all prospective owners for vet references and check them. Make sure they have taken care of their previous pets. I wouldn't offer them a refund to spay. Have them sign a contract saying they have to spay and you will know when you check references with the vet if this is something they are likely to do. If you talk to any rescues they will tell you how they screen prospective owners. Most even have a list of adoption requirments on their websites this should give you a guideline. I'm not trying to tell you what to do I''m just trying to give you some additional ideas and things to think about. You still have 2 mos. to figure all this out in the mean time continue what you are doing because you are doing an amazing job.
 
Well I got her from someone who said they have ten other dogs and their HOA was making her get rid of five. She lived outside full-time and the second day I got her I was brushing her and noticed she had blood down there and when I wiped her more blood came out. I rushed her to the vet who determined she had an awful bladder infection, earmites, mats behind her ears, really long nails, and fleas. They told me she had just been groomed (I think they did it their self because she had a few other bald spot behind her ears) I emailed the owner immediately and she claimed she didn't even know what an ear mite was-- having 10 dogs and never heard of earmites? I got her all doctored up and had to get her shots because the owner kept ignoring me when I asked to produce the records. We paid $200 for her which I do think is way too much for a dog without papers but she needed a home so I would of paid way more than that. Previous owner claims she got her when she was a baby and paid $650 for her but she wasn't registered. Just a mess!



What a mess indeed!! I think it's amazing Hadley is doing so well considering where she came from. I think all of us here on the forum are thinking and feeling the same way about all of it.

Keep the pics coming!! :winkgrin:
 
Cute picture of the day:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v649/maddy_ciccone18/?action=view&current=IMG_1883.jpg

Hadley is following me around the house, begging, and just laying beside me and spending less time away from them. She does tend to them when they cry and she isn't comfortable laying in another room but will follow me if I go into another room. She is having loose stools -poor girl. She woke me up 4-5 times last night scratching frantically on the door. I finally just started setting an alarm every 2 hours so she wouldn't have to be stressed about needing to go and me being asleep. I've never seen her run to the grass that fast! LOL
 
Maybe you should call the vet and see what they say about the diarrhea. It could be just the change in food but possibly more. Does she have a temp? I think a dog could get an infection down there just like a human after birth so just to be sure check with your vet and see what he recommends. He may give you flagyll for her. I'm going to check your pic of the day I'm sure it's adorable.
 
Back
Top