Bad news about Hadley from Austin

I could of easily been off on weighing them as they wouldn't sit still and it was so difficult. I'm going to try again later when I have someone here to help me and I'll let you know for sure. Any suggestions on how to weigh them? I have a food scale and it's done by grams.
 
I could of easily been off on weighing them as they wouldn't sit still and it was so difficult. I'm going to try again later when I have someone here to help me and I'll let you know for sure. Any suggestions on how to weigh them? I have a food scale and it's done by grams.

Use a basket or bowl, and line it with a little towel or cloth. You should be able to tare the scale by placing the container on the pan before turning it on - the scale will start at zero, and you won't have to subtract the weight of the container. The puppies will wiggle, so you have to move kinda quick, and have a hand ready to steady the basket. (Of course, all of this assumes that you have a digital scale!)

If you're worried about your math, just use Google - type in, say "500 grams in ounces" and hit enter for an accurate conversion.
 
I totally missed this thread!

I must say, as "first time moms" - both you and Hadley are doing great!

They look 100% Sheltie to me, although the weight seems off....perhaps when you re-weigh them, you'll get a better reading.

I wish you, Hadley and the pups the best!
 
Okay I weighed them by putting a bowl on top of the scale and put a washcloth in the dryer to warm it up and this helped them stay still. The smallest is 6.3 ounces and the big boy is right about 8 ounces.
 
Okay I weighed them by putting a bowl on top of the scale and put a washcloth in the dryer to warm it up and this helped them stay still. The smallest is 6.3 ounces and the big boy is right about 8 ounces.

OK, that sounds more like it! :wink2: Still very respectable weights, especially if they continue to gain

Also, how thoughtful of you to warm the washcloth first! I never thought of that.
 
Okay I weighed them by putting a bowl on top of the scale and put a washcloth in the dryer to warm it up and this helped them stay still. The smallest is 6.3 ounces and the big boy is right about 8 ounces.


You really are amazing with them, their going to thrive. I can not WAIT to see pics of them and Momma as they grow! :yes:
 
You and Hadley are doing a great job! The most current weights are spot on for newborn shelties. We are all rooting for you and your babies; so don't be shy about asking questions in the thread or PM to me or any of the others.

As for selling vs. giving away puppies that is your choice. I personally feel that people RESPECT their new pet more when they have to pay something for it; and those are going to be pretty shelties or sheltie mixes. I certainly have given puppies to family and friends; but to the stranger I ask TONS of questions and charge a fee to adopt. You are going to rack up a lot of bills raising the puppies to the right size for their forever homes. Keep track of your expenses and that will help you in determining an appropriate reimbursement.
 
Janet is 110% right with everything she said...AND I'd like to add that any person who is serious about wanting one of those pups, (hmmm, wonder who that could be :wink2:), would be MORE than willing to pay a fee. You can't get a "free" dog or cat anywhere at least not one you would want.
 
I started rethinking it and decided I do want to charge a small re-homing fee because of this: I posted an ad yesterday on CL and said no fee -- I got literally 40 emails! Then today, I re-posted it and stated I'd be charging a small re-homing fee to cover the dewormer and the puppy shots and I only got six emails! One of the people stated they couldn't afford to pay for a puppy but they are very responsible. Seriously? Disgusting. I am going to be pickier about who I give them to and if that means keeping a couple an extra few weeks then so be it. These are my little babies now!

Earlier my cat, Astrid, went over to the crate and Hadley usually ignores Astrid totally but this time she stood up and stared her down and then started chasing her! That's when I decided from here on out, or at least for the next few weeks, they will be in separated and kept in different rooms. Hadley doesn't seem the least bit aggressive, but I don't want to take a chance. I found Astrid outside one night after a bad storm. She was 4 weeks old and I bottle fed her and she's 5 1/2 now. She's a big, fat, grumpy kitty. lol But I love her to death!
 
Back
Top