Bailey's Weight

Lets hope so to,as I'm sure it is equally frustrating for her as well,as she cannot help what is going on in her little body.
Keep us posted after she sees the vet tomorrow~ Shletie hugs to both of you~
 
My dogs are always sharing water with the other dogs at the oval and dogs at training (I do put their own bowl down but the dogs like to taste all the water just in case one is better than another). I have never had a problem with them sharing water. But Deska does have a tendency to upset stomachs and last time the vet said it was due to his own bacteria being out of balance - a round of penicillan helped with that.

It could also be a candida infection (antibiotics would make it worse then) - that can cause an upset stomach and UTI. There is often a bit of a musty smell and itch with candida (in dogs it can occur in all parts of the body, including ears and nose, feet, crotch). Candida (same as in humans) is common with a weakened immune system, antibiotics and lots of grains. You could try giving some yoghurt just in case. Dogs love it and it isn't harmful.
 
I don't really have any advice, but I definitely sympathize about the UTI--Buffy had that twice and it really is frustrating for both the dog and the human. You're definitely right in remembering she just can't help it. But I know it can be frustrating to be taking care of this every few minutes!

We did give Buffy yogurt for her infection. Don't know if it helps, but it made us feel better.

Buffy was born just a few days before Bailey... she's 10.5 inches last time I measured her and 9 pounds. So shorter, but a bit heavier...

It sounds to me like Bailey either has an infection (probably more likely, considering it started at the picnic) or maybe is allergic to something. It could be something common, like chicken or lamb. Dog food just has so much stuff in it that's hard to pinpoint which of that stuff is causing the problem.

Best of luck as you deal with this. I hope Bailey gets better soon!
 
I took her to the vet. They're doing another urinalysis. I'll find out the results tomorrow, which I'm sure will come back positive. She's peeing about 15-20 a day. Yellow in the morning, then becoming clear by the afternoon. I'm very worried about this. The vet didn't seem too concerned. She told me to give her half a 250mg vitamin C pill. That might help her UTI's. And of course antibiotics when its comes back positive.

As for the loose stool, she gave me pancur. Maybe her fecal exam was a false negative. She only gained 3 ounces in two weeks. She should be at least 10 pounds. Right now Bailey is 7.13 pounds.

She's also having me switch her to science diet i/d for sensitive stomachs. I'm not happy about this. It's not even puppy food. She originally wanted me to get eukunubia puppy sensitive stomach food, but they didn't have any and no one in my neighborhood had it.

I'll have to try the science diet. At this point I just want her to have normal BM's. If it helps her loose bowels, then i guess i have no choice.
 
Don't be too discouraged or upset about the food. Pixie was a tiny puppy at 4 pounds when I had to put her on first the ID, and then the Iams Low Residue which has even less wholesome ingredients. She was on it for several months until her system straightened out, but it eventually did and I was able to transition her to a better diet.

The important thing at this point is that you get Bailey's system back in order, and if this food helps that's all that counts. It sure sounds like she's dealing with worms, plus a UTI, poor little thing. I also gave Vitamin C for that...Drs. Foster and Smith make a canine vitamin C supplement that you can order online if you are interested. Once you are able to get her back on the Vibrant Pets that will help too, especially with a less nutritious food, but I'd make sure she's doing OK (like for a week or two) before you add anything new to her diet.

Hang in there -- you're doing all you can and she will improve. You just have to find the right combination of food and meds. Once you get that under control, she'll start to gain weight too. Give her a pat for us and keep us posted!
 
I agreewith Anne,it sounds like worms also,plus the UTI. All that matters is that she gets on the right road,and gets better. The food thing,I would not fret about it.
You are doing every thing you can,please don't be hard on your self.She knows that you love her,and you are doing every thing you can to get her well.
Sending big hugs!!
 
thanks for all the support. I appreciate it.

To make things even more difficult, my mother gave Bailey too much panacur. I told her to give her 2cc with her lunch. Very simple instructions. Well, my mom gave her another dose of 2cc for dinner. She was only supposed to get it once a day for 3 days.

I googled it and apparently, it's very difficult to overdose your dog on panacur. Unfortunately, the vet is closed now :(
 
Wow....just saw all this.

I agree that it probably isn't a virus, as this has been going on too long. UTI's are actually common in female puppies. They have a short urethra. Most of the times, this stops after the females are spayed. It has something to do with the fact that the puppy is going through hormone changes really quickly, and the quick changes in hormones, causes a ph imbalance, and therefore a UTI. I would ask the vet about this. Many things change the pH balance in a dog....different foods, hormones, etc.

Also...I think that when a puppy has a UTI, it is important to keep them on the antibiotics for a long time. I think the norm for a puppy UTI is actually an entire month. UTI's in puppies rebound quickly, and come back stronger, if you do not do a strong enough antibiotic for a long enough time.

I feel really bad that you think it was something from the picnic. I hope this wasn't the case, but if so, I am so sorry.

I will make sure that I keep up with this thread! Please let us know how everything goes.
 
thanks for all the support. I appreciate it.

To make things even more difficult, my mother gave Bailey too much panacur. I told her to give her 2cc with her lunch. Very simple instructions. Well, my mom gave her another dose of 2cc for dinner. She was only supposed to get it once a day for 3 days.

I googled it and apparently, it's very difficult to overdose your dog on panacur. Unfortunately, the vet is closed now :(

Panacur is very safe. I've have a problem with whipworms in my soil so I use it regularly. I use the granules listed for under 20lb. Justice is 22lbs and the label says to give 2 packages if over 20lbs and under 40lb as it is safe. So you should be ok unless there is a weird(individual) reaction.
 
The vet did mention that it a lot of times UTI's stop after they get spayed.

I'm hoping that she prescribes antibiotics for a more than a week or two. First she was on clavamox for two weeks. Then she was on cefa drops for a week. It definitely did come back a lot worse after the cefa drops. We have to take her out every 20-30 minutes. I stayed home this weekend, because I couldn't crate her for more than half an hour. I didn't want her to have to lay in her pee.

Don't feel bad because I thought it was from the picnic. No need to apologize. It's not your fault. I just thought of the picnic because it all started a day or two after it. She was eating treats and stuff off the floor and drank from another dog's water bowl. That's why I thought of a virus or bad bacteria. The timing could just be a coincidence. I will still be there next year
 
Back
Top