Blueberry update

Yay for great bloodwork results!!!!

It does sound like she’s doing great and adapting to her twitch. What a resilient girl!

I don’t see why you shouldn’t wait longer to spay her if that was your original plan. You could even ask the holistic vet/specialist if waiting even longer might be good for Blueberry just to make sure she has every opportunity to develop fully and normally.
It seems just about every vet has a different opinion on when to spay/neuter a dog. I’m not sure if her reasoning to suggest to spay Blueberry young is more to decrease the risk of an unplanned pregnancy than it is because of her twitch. My own vet believes in waiting until the dog is fully grown. Personally I don’t believe in spaying young although after having one dog with Pyo I do believe in spaying when they’re mature enough.
 
Blueberry, however, is some of the cutest :hugs

Lisa was she tested for MDR 1?
I do not know if your vets still use "old-fashioned" vaccines :hide

Symptoms may include tremors
She hasn’t been tested yet for that yet, I have to order that test from a company in the US. I don’t think being a carrier would affect her for vaccines. I have to have her tested before she has any surgery.
The twitches haven’t increased at all, in fact today we went out to a hardware store (she was in the cart in top basket) and not a one. She does still have them however.
 
She hasn’t been tested yet for that yet, I have to order that test from a company in the US. I don’t think being a carrier would affect her for vaccines. I have to have her tested before she has any surgery.
The twitches haven’t increased at all, in fact today we went out to a hardware store (she was in the cart in top basket) and not a one. She does still have them however.
just got mine tested last year...................
 
I’m not sure if it’s something the parents pass on.

I believe it is, Lisa.

With Brodie, breeder was new to me so even though she told me both parents were negative, I tested him. With Deacon, I now have a long term relationship with the breeder and she has not steered me wrong ever. She does test her dogs though. Brodie's sister, Deacon's mom, is negative as is the sire so I did not bother to test Deacon. I think tremors is one thing is can cause - it is responsible for removing toxins and if positive, toxins can build up. Wouldn't hurt to alleviate it. The test is simple and wasn't earth shattering expensive from what I remember but it was two years ago.
 
I believe it is, Lisa.

With Brodie, breeder was new to me so even though she told me both parents were negative, I tested him. With Deacon, I now have a long term relationship with the breeder and she has not steered me wrong ever. She does test her dogs though. Brodie's sister, Deacon's mom, is negative as is the sire so I did not bother to test Deacon. I think tremors is one thing is can cause - it is responsible for removing toxins and if positive, toxins can build up. Wouldn't hurt to alleviate it. The test is simple and wasn't earth shattering expensive from what I remember but it was two years ago.
Your right Sandy, it does appear to be inherited. I messaged the breeder to find out if the parents were tested.

Genetic testing of the ABCB1 gene in Shetland sheepdogs will reliably determine whether a dog is a genetic Carrier of multidrug resistance 1. Multidrug resistance 1 is inherited in an autosomal incomplete dominant manner in dogs meaning that dogs only need to inherit one copy of the mutated gene to be at an increased risk of developing the disease. Though adverse reactions to certain drugs are most commonly seen in dogs having two copies of the mutated gene, carrier dogs can also experience drug sensitivities and dosages need to be adjusted accordingly. Thus, dogs that have one or two mutant copies of the gene are considered at-risk for adverse drug reactions. When carriers of this Mutation are bred with another dog that also is a carrier of the same mutation, there is risk of having affected pups. For each pup that is born to this pairing, there is a 25% chance that the puppy will inherit two copies of the mutation and a 50% chance that the puppy will inherit one copy of the mutation and, in either case, may be susceptible to having adverse drug reactions. Reliable genetic testing is important for determining breeding practices. Because symptoms do not appear unless dogs are exposed to certain drugs, genetic testing should be performed before breeding. In order to eliminate this mutation from breeding lines and to avoid the potential of producing affected pups, breeding of known carriers is not recommended. Shetland sheepdogs that are not carriers of the mutation have no increased risk of having affected pups when bred to a dog that is also clear for this mutation.
 
Back
Top