California Members...any info on shelties rescued from fire in Riverside??

That must be so devastating for her. To lose your home and have to rehome your dogs. Whether or not she had insurance isn't the point. The point is all are safe. No one was injured or died. I am just glad there was a group able to step in and help her. It is going to be a very tough road for her and her family to walk over the next few months.
 
That must be so devastating for her. To lose your home and have to rehome your dogs. Whether or not she had insurance isn't the point. The point is all are safe. No one was injured or died. I am just glad there was a group able to step in and help her. It is going to be a very tough road for her and her family to walk over the next few months.

I completely agree. What a sad situation for everyone involved. At least the dogs are in good hands and safe with Sheltie people involved.
 
Sorry - it's not our business if she had insurance or not. Insurance claims ALWAYS take a long time to settle and in the meantime she would have had to find homes for them, temporary or otherwise, while she was not in the frame of mind to find good homes. She has made the best decision in the interest of the dogs. We need to remember that there for the grace of God go I or you or anyone else.

The dogs are now listed on the Riverside AC site and I imagine from looking at them they will be adopted very quickly.
 
This is a really tragic situation all around. Thankfully no person or dogs were injured and it sounds like reputable rescue is stepping in to help. I cannot imagine losing my home and then having to relinquish my dogs too...that is a lot of heartbreak.

Trini
 
Sorry - it's not our business if she had insurance or not. Insurance claims ALWAYS take a long time to settle and in the meantime she would have had to find homes for them, temporary or otherwise, while she was not in the frame of mind to find good homes. She has made the best decision in the interest of the dogs. We need to remember that there for the grace of God go I or you or anyone else.

Then her contingency plan was to foist the dogs on the public. That's not acceptable from my perspective, particularly when she had so many.

I own one Sheltie. I have property insurance, life insurance, money in the bank, and a mutual agreement with someone (two persons, actually) to care for my dog in the event of a crisis. Which is what every responsible dog owner should have. The "responsible" alternative is to not own a dog, or sixty-one, if that's what you want.
 
Criticism and attacks aren't constructive, especially as the horse is long out of the barn in this case.

Let's focus on the Shelties here, and the rescue/rehoming effort as it moves forward.
 
Yes it is a lot of dogs but it says they are healthy, nice dogs that were well cared for. Some breeders are already looking to get anything that came from their kennels back. There are some dogs that will be ready for adoption on Monday which likely means that they were already spayed/neutered and retired. Stop throwing stones. Have you any idea what it would take to find accomodations for yourself and this many animals??? Is it fair to ship them all over the place for months while you rebuild??? You have no idea of whether they employed kennel help or not. This is a tragic situation and I, for one, will not be part of making nasty assumptions based solely on the number of dogs.
As for "miniature", I expect that this was a combination of how the humane society and the media referred to these dogs. The ones pictured do not look miniaturized.
 
Yes it is a lot of dogs but it says they are healthy, nice dogs that were well cared for...

Stop throwing stones. Have you any idea what it would take to find accomodations for yourself and this many animals??? Is it fair to ship them all over the place for months while you rebuild??? You have no idea of whether they employed kennel help or not. This is a tragic situation and I, for one, will not be part of making nasty assumptions based solely on the number of dogs...


Tagg:

Thank you for your post. I will readily agree that I had/have personal questions about "responsibility" when I read that there were 61 dogs involved. However, I really don't see how trashing the reputation of whomever is responsible for these dogs (without a bunch more information than was provided) adds one iota to the discussion OR concern for the well being of the displaced dogs. The only thing missing thus far is the "some of us are just passionate about the breed speech". I have yet to figure out how passion equates to trashing others without more information, but we are all entitled to voice our opinions as long as we stay within the guidelines established for the forum.

That said, here are my opinions: I will pray that all of the dogs are safe and happy; that they all find safe and loving homes; and that the folks that had this tragedy befall them are soon recovered from their troubles.
 
That said, here are my opinions: I will pray that all of the dogs are safe and happy; that they all find safe and loving homes; and that the folks that had this tragedy befall them are soon recovered from their troubles.

This should be everyone's compassionate prayer in a situation like this.

Trini
 
Back
Top