Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Can shelties be happy in a busy/noisy home

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Sheltie 2021, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Beyond precious Ann!!!!!

Darren, Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  2. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Many, many years ago when I was 5 and my sisters were 3 and 1 my parents got a Sheltie. I don't remember any problems he had with noise, although whenever my parents yelled at one of us he'd bark at them. We were definitely his sheep and no one was going to be mean to us! Since my mom started working when my youngest sister was in first grade, so 6 or so, Charlie was routinely left alone. He did not have a doggie door so he was inside all day. The rule was that whoever got home first would walk him and then leave him in the fenced-in area my dad had built in the backyard (assuming weather was okay) for a couple of hours. He did fine with that.

Darren, Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  3. Sheltie 2021

Sheltie 2021 Forums Novice

Feb 16, 2021
    This is all great thank you im reading everything I can online but are there any sheltie books you could recommend

Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    One thought - the UK Shelties seem much lighter boned than ours over here. They really need a gentle hand anyway because they are all so sensitive, but they are not a breed for anyone, or any kid, who wants a rough and tumble, wrestling kind of dog. They are tough little dogs in other ways, but not with physical roughness.

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Beautiful pictures Ann...absolutely precious!

Darren, ghggp and Ann like this.
  7. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    My house is loud and pretty much has always been. My kids are not 23, 20, and 16. My shelties are 15, 12, 11, and 7. I've had no problems with the kids and the dogs.....my shelties love their kids! I think the most important thing to remember is that shelties are very soft sensitive dogs. So your kids must be gentle and not rough with them. When they were younger and would run, sometimes the dogs would grab their pant legs and try to slow them down, but we knew it was herding and it never scared my kids. My kids actually got involved with agility with the dogs and it was a very bonding experience for them. And if you are used to loud....the sheltie bark won't bother you, cause they love to be vocal!

vinca and michelle.JPG Michelle and Vinca 1.JPG

vinca michelle chloe.JPG

Margi, RikyR, Darren and 6 others like this.
  8. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Adorable pics, and good advice!

9. Sheltie 2021

Sheltie 2021 Forums Novice

Feb 16, 2021
    My kids have always been great with our cat a my family's dogs ranging from a little nervous chihuahua cross to a big amarican bulldog
    My sons a really sensitive kid to he's very gentle
    My youngest will be the one il have to keep a close eye on but she's never played rough with and of the dogs she sees or our cat who's a big boy at over 7kg
    Obviously it could be different with pup here full time

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Totally agree!!!

Darren and Piper's mom like this.