Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dog Wheelchair

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Looks like Gavin enjoyed himself, yucky weather though! What a sweetie...they always look so peaceful when they're sleeping.
    I'll finally be able to get my guys out for a walk tomorrow, supposed to be highs around -12 C...we haven't had a day warmer than -20 in at least a month. Plus all the snow we got roads are so icy and sidewalks just got plowed yesterday!

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    So today Gavin was not his usual energetic self on his walk. Not sure if this means we walked too far on Saturday (I let Gavin walk as much as he wanted until we got to a big hill).
    I felt like a meanie as he was almost never in front of me, which he usually is about half the time.
    But then he was super excited for his breakfast...
    sigh...

I found the reason when I got home last night. Poor boy left some messy poops and a urine soaked bath rug in my guest bathroom. As we went for a nice long walk and he did his business many time over that morning, I can only guess he wasn't feeling to well and maybe got into something he shouldn't have. This morning he has followed me quite closely throughout the house as usual, so I think he is feeling better. I did notice Sunday that he was sleeping more than usual for the day after a walk.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    so it has been over a month of this new supplement. I have no groundbreaking news to report. I will measure his legs tonite and see if they are different than a month ago (good leg was 27cm and bad leg was 24cm at the highest point). He has been walking further though and ever since I adjusted my ramp to the bed a week ago he has been going up and down ALL night long. seriously, I remember about 5 a night, and those are only the ones when I am awake or near to it! And I know he uses it during the day when I am not home as I have found him up there a few times.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    I am going to buy a knee brace. I found 1 place that offers returns (with a 20% re-stocking fee) and is cheaper at $250. Most are custom, require casting, and run $600-900 with no returns. Since Gavin has never been diagnosed with a torn CCL I don't know if they will help so that was a lot of money... But for loosing $50 if I need to return I can live with it. I had ordered a balto brace but changed my mind and cancelled.

Other cheaper braces are kinda like a sling with metal rods.. and no returns. They are $150-$400, and some require a vets diagnosis, which again I don't have.

https://animalorthocare.com/product...e-dog-rear-leg-brace-g3?variant=2616355586075

They have a reputation for really good customer service, which some of the other places don't.

I think he has built up some leg muscle with the cart, which we will continue to use regardless. But the 30 day return window will give us a chance to see if the brace helps him at least use his bag leg more.

ghggp likes this.
  5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Gavin showing off in the car this morning. He used to do this all the time but it is difficult for him to balance while standing in a moving car since he has been hurt. I was surprised he did this since he pretty much always just lays down in the back as soon as the car starts moving, and sometimes he will sit and watch out the windows.

Sharon7, ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  6. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Cindy, I got one of those $800 custom made leg braces for Sketch...vet did a cast, etc. to send out for fit. It has been 3 1/2 years since Sketch lost one back leg to cancer and his remaining back leg has become very arthritic and weak and I hoped to both build up the leg muscles and also prevent a torn ACL with the brace by not allowing that leg to twist wrong in a fall. Although it should help prevent the ACL from injury with a fall, I can't say it has done anything to actually strengthen the leg and he finds it harder to get up from lying down if he has the brace on. Also the brace does nothing to take pressure off of his spine, which is a big negative issue with the bouncing gait that comes with one leg missing. So, it is a mixed bag.

Last month I purchased a "body suit" for him from a company in Bellingham, WA. https://petsupportsuit.com/shop?olsPage=products/custom-pet-support-suit-dog-harness With shipping it cost $203. Once we have any good walking weather here I am hoping with this extra support, which will allow me to take as much of the pressure as needed off both his spine and his remaining leg, that we can gradually take longer and longer walks to help strengthen that leg. We joke that we are turning Sketch into a suitcase because of how the straps help hold him up. In summer it will be too hot to leave the suit on him all day, but in cooler weather it fits much like a Thunder Shirt and can be left on so all you have to do is clip on the straps for holding when you want to go out or help with steps.

Trini

7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Thanks for your story... I am sorry it wasn't terribly helpful for Sketchie. I had looked into braces before I got the wheelchair but was hesitant because of the cost and being unsure they would help. So many don't take returns, and I didn't want to risk that kind of money. This place is $250 for an adjustable model and I can get $200 of that back if I return in 30 days (kinda of like the wheelchair return policy). I am hoping it might help him walk a bit around the neighborhood. At some point, the wheelchair won't help him gain any more muscle since it is low weight bearing. They do make special harnesses for tripods to use wheelchairs, if that is somewhere you are interested in going. Gavin walks at about 50% of his previous normal speed when in his wheelchair.

8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Sounds to me like he's improved...great news Cindy! He certainly seems to be walking further lately.

9. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Wow...I'm impressed!!!
    Way to go Gavin!

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008