Ears Glued? Opinions

I brought one of those pens, had it sent all the way from the US. And Kismet got out the first week that I got her! Tried covering it and she just squeezed through the cover and I was worried she'd get strangled. Now she's decided to toilet in every bedroom in the house I need to contain her.

Caro, might be time to try a crate which will eliminate her climbing out - a wire one that is open will allow her to see everything, or you can cover with a sheet or blanket too. Elijah had to be crated - he climbed out of pens too.
 
Was it wire? Mine is plastic. I hope that’s not an issue. I did buy a “small dog crate” and it’s gigantic for him (he is 4 lbs right now) so we’re also using our large cat carrier which is about half the size and he can still walk around in it. So tiny! <3

Yep it's the plastic one, but I also have a wire one. She'll only stay in it if Tully is in with her, probably because Tully tells her off. Kismet can jump into my arms, or kiss people who are standing, she's quite the jumper. Exactly like Tully the former bench top cruiser. I brought an extra cat carrier too for Kismet, and even though she's doubled in weight she still sleeps in it, she likes to be cosy.

Caro, might be time to try a crate which will eliminate her climbing out - a wire one that is open will allow her to see everything, or you can cover with a sheet or blanket too. Elijah had to be crated - he climbed out of pens too.
I've just started crating her overnight again, but it's a struggle. Not because she won't go in (it means she gets to sleep on the bed) but because every chance they can, a cat crawls in. And she learnt her lessson the hard way not to climb in bed with a cat! Last night I ended up having to turn the crate upside down to get the Burmese out.
 
Congratulations! We have had our little one for about a month now. We have both a pen and a crate we use. A pen is great for quick away from the kiddo or other incidents. They do hit a stage where they start attention barking in them, then i use crate more. I throw a blanket over top and they settle down quickly. Just a temporary stage. We are in it now at 13 weeks.


I glue ears due to personal preference and it doesn’t hurt them. I had a puppy with a little one before. We never had an ear problem. That came more from having another pup to wrestle with My pre kid sheltie. Just sharing my experience, your luck or kiddo could be different. My breeder said she rarely has pet people who want the ears done. Glueing isn’t hard.... gluing a wiggly puppy is hard so it takes some commitment They get easier with age. I glue for a year myself.
 
Last edited:
Congratulations! We have had our little one for about a month now. We have both a pen and a crate we use. A pen is grate for quick away from the kiddo or other incidents. They do hit a stage where they start attention barking in them, then i use crate more. I throw a blanket over top and they settle down quickly. Just a temporary stage. We are in it now at 13 weeks.


I glue ears due to personal preference and it doesn’t hurt them. I had a puppy with a little one before. We never had an ear problem. That came more from having another pup to wrestle with My pre kid sheltie. Just sharing my experience, your luck or kiddo could be different. My breeder said she rarely has pet people who want the ears done. Glueing isn’t hard.... gluing a wiggly puppy is hard sonit takes some commitment They get easier with age. I glue for a year myself.

if you don’t have a passion for the look like I do, and juggling a little one, i don’t blame you for a different choice.
Savor it. They change overnight -literally.
 

Attachments

  • 021BCBBD-F103-42EC-96DB-49F55F39B51E.jpeg
    021BCBBD-F103-42EC-96DB-49F55F39B51E.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hi everyone! Our sheltie, Siena, is 3 months old. Our breeder showed us how to tape her ears and I’ve watched a few YouTube videos but I am unsuccessful. I love the tipped ears and want to continue but they do not seem to stay in more than a week. Any suggestions or videos I can watch to become successful? I did figure out that I need to do this when she wakes up from a nap as she’s less wiggly. Thanks!
 
Hi everyone! Our sheltie, Siena, is 3 months old. Our breeder showed us how to tape her ears and I’ve watched a few YouTube videos but I am unsuccessful. I love the tipped ears and want to continue but they do not seem to stay in more than a week. Any suggestions or videos I can watch to become successful? I did figure out that I need to do this when she wakes up from a nap as she’s less wiggly. Thanks!
if they're staying in for a week, then you are doing good:yes:
 
Helen, I've done a lot of Sheltie puppy ears and I have had no success with taping. Clearly I'm doing something wrong, but years ago I finally went to gluing them instead and found it way easier on both me and the dog. I like that gluing allows for some air to circulate in the ear and tape does not, creating an environment for irritation. Once you've done it a few times, you can glue ears in five minutes. What takes time is getting the glue out in between.

This is the best tutorial I've seen on how to do this. I use Tear Mender glue, which you can get on Amazon, and Zoeze or a medical grade adhesive remover. You can get that and the glue here. Have another person hold Siena until you get used to the process to make it easier. As Calliesmom said, if you get a week with a young puppy, you're doing well!
 
I tried every method with Meadow and found the Tearmender to be the best quickest and easiest option. We bought it at a hardware store. Just make sure you glue hair to hair on the side closest to the middle of the head. We used a spoon with peanut butter to pacify her when we were gluing. Ours lasted about 2 weeks usually. good luck!
 
Back
Top