Ears Glued? Opinions

We both taped and glued Brodie's ears. He had one that was a tad wonky - it still is. Ann helped me with glue - I was an absolute disaster with stuff! Might be goo if you go au-natural seeing you have a toddler. I didn't have a toddler but we managed to end up with a bald spot that Brodie sported for a while - shhh, don't tell him!

We've had a few puppies, some like plastic crates - Brodie HATED plastic - we went metal for him. We have 4 different sized metal crates - we camped and had standard doxies before Brodie came along. They grow FAST! Amazon has great prices on them! They were SOOOO expensive when we started out with puppies years ago. Brodie now sleeps in a 30" crate at night.

Your puppy is beautiful! Have fun - sometimes in the midst of pee and poo it can get overwhelming but you have a toddler so you know that! This too shall pass! Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures!!!
 
Hi everyone! Our sheltie, Siena, is 3 months old. Our breeder showed us how to tape her ears and I’ve watched a few YouTube videos but I am unsuccessful. I love the tipped ears and want to continue but they do not seem to stay in more than a week. Any suggestions or videos I can watch to become successful? I did figure out that I need to do this when she wakes up from a nap as she’s less wiggly. Thanks!
I thought gluing was easiest. Ann one of our wonderful monitors, has great posts on it, if you do a search of Ann, ear gluing
 
Helen, I've done a lot of Sheltie puppy ears and I have had no success with taping. Clearly I'm doing something wrong, but years ago I finally went to gluing them instead and found it way easier on both me and the dog. I like that gluing allows for some air to circulate in the ear and tape does not, creating an environment for irritation. Once you've done it a few times, you can glue ears in five minutes. What takes time is getting the glue out in between.

This is the best tutorial I've seen on how to do this. I use Tear Mender glue, which you can get on Amazon, and Zoeze or a medical grade adhesive remover. You can get that and the glue here. Have another person hold Siena until you get used to the process to make it easier. As Calliesmom said, if you get a week with a young puppy, you're doing well!
Best advice ever!!
 
Hi everyone! Our sheltie, Siena, is 3 months old. Our breeder showed us how to tape her ears and I’ve watched a few YouTube videos but I am unsuccessful. I love the tipped ears and want to continue but they do not seem to stay in more than a week. Any suggestions or videos I can watch to become successful? I did figure out that I need to do this when she wakes up from a nap as she’s less wiggly. Thanks!

i like glue too. It lasts at least two weeks (honestly much longer than two I take them out and redo because hair grows. It doesn’t matter whether you glue on the topside or underside of the corner ear. Some people do topside and glue under hair on head and others do the underside and glue over the hair on the head (I prefer this way). Then only rule is hair to hair. If ear set is good you don’y even have to mess with brace/ gluing together.

http://www.willowglyn.com/ears.htm

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...9B74023A689FD6167B969B740&FORM=VRRTAP&PC=APPL
Two resources I like.
Way easier during the wiggly stage to have someone hold the puppy in front of you.

*another tip, let glue sit on your finger for about 10 seconds before using and hold glued ear for about a minute to set
 
Back
Top