Ellis is having Emergency Surgery

I too am shaking my head in disbelief over this whole ordeal. I'm sorry that you and Ellie are having to go through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. Hugs to all of you.
 
Poor, Ellie! I'm so sorry that y'all are going through this. Good thoughts and well wishes sent your way. Please keep us updated!
 
Thanks everyone. Evidently they are going to wait until tmorrow since I haven't heard from our vet. I kinda assumed that because she was eating when I discovered the protrusion. She can't have food on her stomach because of the danger of aspiration. I am sure they will operate first thing tomorrow morning. I work until 4 PM Central time, so I won't be able to let you know what happened until tomorrow evening, but I will let you know.
 
May God watch over ellie and you.

Thanks everyone. Evidently they are going to wait until tmorrow since I haven't heard from our vet. I kinda assumed that because she was eating when I discovered the protrusion. She can't have food on her stomach because of the danger of aspiration. I am sure they will operate first thing tomorrow morning. I work until 4 PM Central time, so I won't be able to let you know what happened until tomorrow evening, but I will let you know.

Please watch over this little pupper, Ellie, who has had some difficult health issues. St. Francis please intercede on Ellie 's behalf and watch over her Mom as well. I ask this in Jesus' name. Amen
Looking forward to positive news on little ellie and you.
 
omg I cant believe this!! I Thought she had turned the corner and was doing better...poor ellie!!!!!! She will be in my thoughts and prayers that she has no more problems and the surgery goes smoothly this time for her!
 
Well, she did end up having emergency surgery at 10:00 last night and it took two hours! We didn't get a phone call that she was all done until 12:30 am this morning. The doctor came in to check on her at about 9:30 and when he opened the bandage, she had massive amounts of "gut" protruding from her suture line. They just could not wait to fix it. I was very nervous due to the fact that she had eaten 4 hours prior to surgery and I asked if she would be alright and the vet said, "We will do our very best to protect her airway, but I can't guarantee anything. " GULP. :no: He had to call in another vet to run the anesthesia.

They did exploratory surgery and made sure that all the organs were not contaminated or infected. They were not. There was no signs of bleeding. There was quite a lot of infected omentum, which they cut out. Her suture lines were three layers deep--at the omentum, the subqutaneous tissue and the skin line. He said they were all infected and no wonder they were not holding her together, he said it was like sewing jello. They completely cut out the S&N sutures and re-did it. She is now closed with sutures and not staples. He said he was "very happy" with the way they closed her up. If he's happy, I'm happy! They gave her antibiotics right in her suture line and he feels confident that she will not have any problems with infection or her gut coming out. She got a hefty injection of pain meds.

When we were waiting in one of the little waiting rooms for the doctor to come in and give us discharge instructions we were talking quietly to each other and Ellie heard us. She was barking her very distinctive bark and yelping and she also does this weird series of yips that sounds like she is yodeling, lol. They brought her in and she has a bandage from behind her front legs to the front of her back legs. She looks like a stuffed sausage! :lol: She was ecstatic to see us and we had to calm her down. She was VERY happy to be home and wanted to eat VERY badly! We fed her and then took her out for a peep and poop (both normal! Hooray!) and she is crashed out. I pray that this is the end of it and that it is just a matter of time to get her healed up and normal.

We love the vet and are very grateful to him. He calls her "Little Sister." How could you not love a vet who calls your beloved dog a term of endearment?

I think (and hope and pray) that she'll be fine now.
 
awww good news she did well with the surgery! Praying she continues to do well recovering! and you can keep the stuffed sausage calm:lol:
 
Back
Top