FERGY IS HOME

Actually, you should really get him out in public as soon as possible. If you are worried about him not being fully vaccinated yet you can carry him in your arms. It's vital with Shelties that they are socialized early and often or they tend to be somewhat fearful, especially if he's showing signs of it. Take your good treats with you and let strangers pet and offer him a treat. You'll be glad you made the effort.
Appreciate your input. Unfortunately 90% of the time we would not be able to hold him in our arms, plus our vet really doesn't want us to take him public until a full three months. We have always allowed our pups to freely engage strangers in pet store and or if they are family. Have had company twice with a few of family with no problems so far. I think he will be visiting the pet store this next week some time. Concerned about his shy disposition that showed up when we went to get him from breeder, he didn't take to me at all. One of my brothers and his wife visited last week or so, Fergy went to sleep against his leg on the couch. Vet is a little over protective on the Parvo but it is such a nasty and often devastating problem. Pet shop has sizable basket carts. Most folks in pet stores are wanting to fondle puppies. Will report back after our visit to the store.
 
Appreciate your input. Unfortunately 90% of the time we would not be able to hold him in our arms, plus our vet really doesn't want us to take him public until a full three months. We have always allowed our pups to freely engage strangers in pet store and or if they are family. Have had company twice with a few of family with no problems so far. I think he will be visiting the pet store this next week some time. Concerned about his shy disposition that showed up when we went to get him from breeder, he didn't take to me at all. One of my brothers and his wife visited last week or so, Fergy went to sleep against his leg on the couch. Vet is a little over protective on the Parvo but it is such a nasty and often devastating problem. Pet shop has sizable basket carts. Most folks in pet stores are wanting to fondle puppies. Will report back after our visit to the store.

I agree that being careful in public till fully immunized is a wise choice. I would be over protective too. Even on walks where you don't meet people who may have handled dogs you are exposed to dog urine etc so yeah I am cautious as well. We had a super shy biblack girl.. when I went to pick her up from the breeder she would not even come up to me but her brothers were all over me- the breeder took her out to my car and put her in the crate. She was so nervous she pooped all over the crate and herself on the way home-- I kept talking to her in my nice voice-- it was along trip home. After we washed her and cleaned her up she was a bit better and it took a day or so before she decided that we would not eat her. She was never able to warm up to people unless she really knew them except for our dog sitter who she immediately took to. I did agility with her and that was so scary for her she would hide under my chair waiting out turn but she did well on the course (except the tunnel) and she got better over the years- we sort of fell out of agility but she lived with us for 13 years and was a sweetheart the whole time-- she trusted us totally and we were her pack and she was part of ours. Some dogs will learn to socialize some will not, she was one who never would learn to accept people until they had passed her test --whatever that was..
 
I used my pet stroller with Pico to get him out when he was undervaccinated and while recovering from his neuter.
It worked like a charm! But not everyone has one sitting around (from a previous pup); I think Pico would have been too rambunctious for a wagon.
I have really worked hard to socialize Pico, and he loves everybody! we are working on him not getting too excited and rearing up on his back legs (he doesn't really jump). he is doing better....
 
I used my pet stroller with Pico to get him out when he was undervaccinated and while recovering from his neuter.
It worked like a charm! But not everyone has one sitting around (from a previous pup); I think Pico would have been too rambunctious for a wagon.
I have really worked hard to socialize Pico, and he loves everybody! we are working on him not getting too excited and rearing up on his back legs (he doesn't really jump). he is doing better....
Fergy had his vet appointment Tuesday for two more shots. I am not fond of most vets and the one we use now doesn't empress me a whole lot. I think she knows her business but she has a crew of so called Vet Techs that brush me a little. Anyway brought Fergy home and put him in his bed to rest. Picked him up to take him outside but when I put him in the grass he couldn't walk or stand up. Back in the house to tell wife. She said a tech gave the shots and Fergy cried with the shot in his hip towards the top. Probably got the dose in a muscle. Took until this morning for him to act normal. We applied ice pack on the area fifteen minutes and off at least the same amount. I get very upset with this stuff and consequently usually wind up with an unhappy dog and wife.
Spent most of yesterday evening patting and cooing to Fergy, which he obviously loved. This morning he decided sleeping on a pillow on the couch was a great idea. Almost 11lbs. and 11 1/2" tall
 

Attachments

  • Fergy+Pillow #1 3-27-24 copy.jpg
    Fergy+Pillow #1 3-27-24 copy.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 10
I'm sorry that Fergy had a bad vet visit. It makes them not happy to go back again, they have along memory. I hope he gets feeling back to normal soon.
Maybe time to explore new vet opportunities. I am lucky that I have 2 vets that I really like for GP services. All our specialists are over and hour to 1.5 hours away.
 
I'm sorry that Fergy had a bad vet visit. It makes them not happy to go back again, they have along memory. I hope he gets feeling back to normal soon.
Maybe time to explore new vet opportunities. I am lucky that I have 2 vets that I really like for GP services. All our specialists are over and hour to 1.5 hours away.
Our vet for years was a gentleman I had known since he was a kid. Unfortunately he retired and sold his practice. Many unhappy visits after that for us as well as the dogs. Wife perused the many we have within good distance from us and decided on this one. My first impression? The place was a dump! Had been a home for years and zoning won't allow her to do many things with the office that she may otherwise do.
First visit with Fergy the vet really showed off with putting her fingers way down in his mouth and in his ears while telling us that was the way to get them used to brushing their teeth and cleaning their ears. I was ready for the door. We had taken Chip and Laddie for checkups and shots. I was uneasy about the surroundings but the dogs loved her immediately. Doubt Fergy will be so inclined next trip. We have our male dogs neutered at four months which requires incisions of practically nothing. I am afraid she will do one of the old fashion two slit.
Enough of my rant. This is a delightful Sheltie with unbelievable intelligence, invigorating life, and he has been giving me some of those fantastic puppy kisses. He adores my wife and youngest daughter and that is good enough for me.
Ron, you don't live far from us. Some day maybe we can visit and share Sheltie Stories.
 
Poor guy!

I had an AWESOME vet who even Spitfire tolerated but she moved north to Chicago. Major loss, she was also a certified chiropractor. Sca normally considered the poking and prodding.... well undignified :ROFLMAO:. But she was allowed to do anything, he would walk right over like 'bend me'

Definitely requires cookies and petting for the Ferg though.
 
Well that's a shame. Usually only the rabies vaccine is given in a muscle, the rest are under the skin. Poor little guy.
For what it's worth, you might do a bit of research into when to neuter Ferg. 4 months is exceptionally young. The thinking now is to wait and allow joints and bones to mature before taking away hormones. We neutered Elijah at 13 months of age.
 
Back
Top