Gavin can't walk anymore :(

Gavin told me he was done after a short walk this morning. poor guy wasn't moving until I opened the door on his stroller, and he walked right up for a boost. I am still struggling with how best to help Gavin get more strength in his bad leg. I though short slow walks would be best, but maybe I should focus on more PT type exercises.

When Deska was declining the vet said dogs get to an age when they just need to be allowed to potter, rather than go for a 'walk'. Certainly that's the stage Tully is at, although she really, really wants to walk even though she can barely. I need to start finding places where we are that she can potter - and where it's safe as she's on chemo so we need to be careful.
 
When Deska was declining the vet said dogs get to an age when they just need to be allowed to potter, rather than go for a 'walk'. Certainly that's the stage Tully is at, although she really, really wants to walk even though she can barely. I need to start finding places where we are that she can potter - and where it's safe as she's on chemo so we need to be careful.

It seems Gavin chooses to potter when I am running late for work or am in a hurry! Days I have plenty of time he is all business :)
I try and take him places he can walk, or plop down in a nice grassy area if he isn't feeling it. At most he makes it 300 feet, some days its only 100 feet. It is soo cute when he is tired. He will refuse to move UNTIL he sees me open the door to his stroller, and then he can't climb in there quick enough!

He has JUST realized that when we go out for a quick potty walk, he can go in the wood chips outside my front door as opposed to a short walk to the common grass area. After 8 years. But I really need him to do the short walks of 50 feet. He doesn't like the sidewalk ramp nearest my door as it is steeper than the one a bit further, which I am not unhappy about. He used to slip occasionally on the steep one.
 
Back
Top