Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Gavin's dotage

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    we are currently using baby food pouches until these show up. I am hoping this will help. It's like he just needs a little appetizer (so the package should last a while)....so I am going with it.

Gavin is 100% not spoiled!

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    I used the gel stuff when my cat was on her last legs....I have a funny feeling that Gavin would eat a lot better/more consistently if I hand fed him :p He is always so darn cute and gingerly when I give him his meds and CBD treats. he gets half in the morning and half at night (https://theanxiouspet.com/products/calming-chews-with-cbd).
    But he isn't loosing weight.....I got a new elevated food bowl thingie. His old one only had 2 options; one was too high (couldn't reach it) and one was too low (he had to bend over). The new one has 3 levels, and the top 2 are both an improvement. Also helps that the food bowls aren't as deep.

Sandy in CT, Ann, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I swear by elevated bowls, especially for the older dogs, although all of mine have them. I just think it's healthier for them to have the bowl at a higher level when they're eating,especially the way Shelties inhale their food. But it really does make a difference for the seniors, I agree! Your new one sounds great.

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Just sending well wishes.

Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    I have created a monster!
    Tonite Gavin stood in front of the food bowl.
    So I filled it. He just stared at me. Until I added the baby food topper.
    Then he ate.
    sigh. I am really happy he is eating, though

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Aren't they funny?? They have us wrapped around their little paws. Good for you, Gavin! Keep that baby food coming!! :yes::yes::yes:

7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    I let him go potty on his own this morning... he pee's just fine and all. But he decided he wanted to poop, too. Surprised me since he went last evening, but oh well. It was messy, which it is about half the time. He steps in his poop.mostly. Anyway, after I cleaned him up and he hopped back inside he looked.. just so darn proud of himself! He still does a few minutes after, too. I swear, that is the main reason I let him go out on his own periodically.

8. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Little victories add up! Way to go Gavin!

Sandy in CT, Piper's mom, Ann and 2 others like this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    He isn't improving or anything, I just love seeing him happy :)
    It's worth more when it requires a little bit more effort to find.

10. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    I have learned as I get older, Sometimes status quo is a small victory. Way to go Gavin :)