Higher Protein = More Energy?

I'd love to feed raw, but can't for various reasons.

I did hear back from Acana on their Vitamin B levels. They never gave me an reason as to why their Vitamin B content is higher than many other brands. They just said their vitamin and mineral content is within safe levels defined by AAFCO. They also said "It is possible that our low temperature cooking process may be responsible for the higher vitamin content to some extent as “we do limit the amount of heat in our extruder and therefore not as many vitamins are destroyed by the heating process.”

I figured their levels were safe, but that doesn't explain why their levels are 4-5x higher than other brands.

Bailey does appear to have settled down a little bit. I did cut back on her food and she's not as crazy anymore. She still has some outbursts of energy and reactivity, but not as bad as before. I'm going to try going back to TOTW and see if I notice a difference.

Thanks for the info!

I guess they're implying that other manufacturers of kibble oven cook their dog food at a higher temp and destroy more of the vitamin content and since they use less heat, the dog gets more vitamins.

Are there no other alternatives, like maybe Wellness Core?
 
I just looked at the Wellness Core to see the % on protein and they say for dogs over a year old.
I really like Accana but would be happier with a bit less protein.
 
I certainly don't know of any studies either. I am only relating information from my vet in Maine, which has also been the advice over the years, from my vet in Connecticut. Even the possiblity of compromising the kidneys or liver, is enough for me to take note. We all know of kidney failure taking our dogs way before their time. If less protein keeps them healthy and happy, and they are not athletic endurance dogs, then I opt for that.

I can only speak from experience.....High protein and Bacca's liver levels were Phe roof. Reduced to 24% and they are becoming manageable. (that being said, he had bloodwork yesterday and I'm still waiting on the results). So, yes, I think high protein is NOT for every dog.

Perhaps its fine for those dogs that can burn it off? But not so good for dogs who are more sedentary????? Just a thought.
 
Blehhhh I really like Acana. I think they're one of the best pet food companies out there. They're quality is fantastic and Bailey is doing really well on it. Her bowel movements have never been better. She used to get very small, dry, brown eye crusties in the corner of her eye. I'd have to clean it once or twice a day. Since she's been on Acana, no eye crusts.

I've always been skeptical of high protein kibble, but since Acana wasn't too high (31%), I figured it was worth a try.

I'll try and do a little more digging before I switch her food again.

If its working for you, why change it? Don't be swung by forum opinions unless you have concerns. That's my advice.
 
I don't think is necessarily a debate of raw vs. kibble, but a debate on the benefits/drawbacks of high protein.

That being said, I'm curious about the supposed protein levels of raw diet. I experimented with raw a little earlier this year, feeding chicken thighs to the boys once a week for their teeth. Frankly, I could not stand the mess, so I stopped doing it, but I'm still open.
 
Are there no other alternatives, like maybe Wellness Core?

I want to stay away from higher protein. Also, the two times Bailey ate Wellness, she had digestive issues. Most likely it wasn't because of Wellness, but I don't want to take the chance.

If its working for you, why change it? Don't be swung by forum opinions unless you have concerns. That's my advice.

Did you read the whole thread? I'm not being swayed by the forum at all. Acana isn't working for Bailey. It has made her very hyper, energetic and more reactive than normal. Physically, she's doing great, but mentally, she's been out of control since eating it. That's why I'm torn. Although, she has calmed down the last week or so.
 
I'm not being swayed by the forum at all. Acana isn't working for Bailey. It has made her very hyper, energetic and more reactive than normal. Physically, she's doing great, but mentally, she's been out of control since eating it. That's why I'm torn. Although, she has calmed down the last week or so.

Okay, something else I thought about...Lexi pees a lot when I start her on a new food (for a couple weeks). It seems to mess with her system while her body gets used to it. This has happened for several different foods, so I know it's not a particular food. Wonder if something similar is happening with Bailey? Maybe her body is getting used to the food, and that's why she is calming down now? Just a thought.
 
Okay, something else I thought about...Lexi pees a lot when I start her on a new food (for a couple weeks). It seems to mess with her system while her body gets used to it. This has happened for several different foods, so I know it's not a particular food. Wonder if something similar is happening with Bailey? Maybe her body is getting used to the food, and that's why she is calming down now? Just a thought.

That was my thought as well. I figured maybe her body needed to adjust to the higher protein and vitamin B levels. I just bought a new bag of TOTW. I'm gonna go back to it and see what happens.
 
take4roll10 said:
Did you read the whole thread? I'm not being swayed by the forum at all. Acana isn't working for Bailey. It has made her very hyper, energetic and more reactive than normal. Physically, she's doing great, but mentally, she's been out of control since eating it. That's why I'm torn. Although, she has calmed down the last week or so.

I did read the entire thread, and it was all over the map between the original question and now suddenly raw food getting introduced and back again. Somewhere, I think the original question got lost, and it became a raw vs. non raw debate. I was trying to bring it back. Guess I failed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I did read the entire thread, and it was all over the map between the original question and now suddenly raw food getting introduced and back again. Somewhere, I think the original question got lost, and it became a raw vs. non raw debate. I was trying to bring it back. Guess I failed.

No worries. :smile2: I was just confused by your post because the whole thread is about how Acana isn't working for Bailey because of the higher protein and/or vitamin B levels.


I'm gonna make the switch back to TOTW next week. Should be an easy transition because I'm still using TOTW as treats. I'll let you all know if there's any change in her behavior. Although Bailey has calmed down a bit in the past few days, so she may have adjusted to Acana's higher protein and vitamin B. If her behavior stays the same on TOTW, then I know her body just needed to adjust to the new vitamin and mineral levels and I can continue feeding Acana in our rotation.
 
Back
Top