How much does your puppy eat?

Check feed stores. There is one by me that had 2-3 brands that got great reviews on the dogfood review site. Maybe they will carry something that sets them apart from the big chains up there also.
 
Great suggestion on the feed stores....there must be some of those where you are.

If you want to supplement diet with people food then you want to make sure it's balanced. I don't think it's enough to give no-name kibble with rice.

If you are on a restricted income, I think there are people here who can help too. They can advise how to feed a pup a well-balanced meal at low cost.

Thanks for reaching out.
 
He is 18.5 inches at the shoulder, 28 inch long, nose to bum.
So it is the solium that he likes so much. I thank you for your help and will do some looking. Not a lot of pet stores here.
I will start adding the human foods you suggested. Is adding left over bread or rice OK?

I wouldn't add bread or rice, Dale. They are starches and will add to your weight problem. Stick with veggies for now until you get his weight to where you want it. Meat too, of course...chicken is great, or turkey. You can just boil a chicken breast and shred it.

I do agree with everyone that you'd likely be better off with a different food on many levels....nutrition, weight and cost. Once you have him down to eating a reasonable amount it might be cost effective for you to order it if there isn't a convenient store. Our Canadian experts like Barb can give you info on links and sites.
 
OK I'll try veggies for now. I think he will like them. Do you mean raw or cooked?
In the meantime with the help of the dog food link you sent, I am going shopping for some better quality food.
 
We get our food at The Tractor Store. I would have never guessed they would carry dog & pets upplies. All of there food is definatley up there as far as nutritous,holistic,,but ya got to do some howmework before you go in there,as there are alot of foods in there.

I took a list I had,did some narrowing down by talking to some folks I trust well. I was feeding Nutro Ultra & Nutro puppy for Trapp.But then the recent recall on some supplied food to PetSmart & PetCo. I'm feeding Diamond Naturals now~Chicken & Rice.

Even with the last boo-boo by Nutro(hard hat being sucked into machinery) I'm sure the product is still selling. I was in Rockingham NC the other day...there shelves of Nutro are full stocks,and no mention of the recal.
And I'm sure it was very isolated & dealt with.
 
In the meantime with the help of the dog food link you sent, I am going shopping for some better quality food.

Good for you, Dale!!! :biggrin2: Wellness makes a great light food for weight loss that is fairly easy to find, and can be ordered online. There are a number of others too you'll find in researching. And of course we'll help you with whatever recommendations we can. Just remember when making any food change to do it gradually. Add a bit of the new stuff to the old and increase it over a week or two until the transition is made.

Either frozen or canned veggies are fine. I like to buy the bag of frozen green beans and you can add them to food either frozen or thawed. You don't have to cook them.
 
As for puppies, Ginny is 13 Weeks old and at last weighing (last week) was up to 5.5 lbs. She eats approx. 1/3 - 1/4 food twice daily. She is a tiny little thing and thats all that she wants. She would not eat lunch when it was offered to her. I think Sadie was eating more at that age, but I could't tell you how much. Sadie was also much bigger at that age.

Sadie is two years old at 17.5 inches at her shoulders. She is eating a mix of Wellness and Vet food ( 3:1 right now) and gets 1/4 cup twice daily. She weighs 23 lbs and I'm told she's at her optimum weight.

Daleford, not too long ago I noticed that Petsmart (the ones in Canada anyway) has started carrying some holistic foods. I don't remember what brands they had, but I think they had one or two good ones, if you have a Petsmart near you.
 
Gosh we weighed Trapp again today,and he's holding right at 10.5 lbs.He had gained 5 pounds in two weeks,and I was thinking..my heavens,he's going to be fat.

He was 3 months old on Oct.26th~ I have not measured him in over a week,I'll try tonite. Still dealing with Earnhardt,he is doing much better.But both will be off to the vets this week for check ups.
 
Last edited:
As for puppies, Ginny is 13 Weeks old and at last weighing (last week) was up to 5.5 lbs. She eats approx. 1/3 - 1/4 food twice daily. She is a tiny little thing and thats all that she wants. She would not eat lunch when it was offered to her. I think Sadie was eating more at that age, but I could't tell you how much. Sadie was also much bigger at that age.

Sadie is two years old at 17.5 inches at her shoulders. She is eating a mix of Wellness and Vet food ( 3:1 right now) and gets 1/4 cup twice daily. She weighs 23 lbs and I'm told she's at her optimum weight.

Daleford, not too long ago I noticed that Petsmart (the ones in Canada anyway) has started carrying some holistic foods. I don't remember what brands they had, but I think they had one or two good ones, if you have a Petsmart near you.
5.5 lbs, WOW Sca is more than twice that though he is a stocky guy. I do need to measure his height one day soon. Still eating almost 2 cups a day though...
 
Good luck on your search!

Let me know if I can help in any way in finding a supplier - either local or online!
 
Back
Top