How much does your puppy eat?

I picked up the Canidae chicken with rice last evening. The first thing that I noticed was it doesn't "look" as appetizing as some other foods. All one color as opposed to Kibble and Bits. Anyway, I mixed some in and he ate it. Of course, since I cut back on his food, he'll eat anything and everything.:smile2:
So I will gradually change over to Canidae and supplement with some frozen vegetables, a bit of chicken breast and whatever else is good for him.
One last question. I think I was told earlier on that 2, 3/4 cups of food daily [total = 1 and 1/2 cups daily] is the proper amount for this 35-37 pound dog. That does not look like much food as I look into his bowl.:( Just to confirm, is that really all he should get ?:confused2:

good rule of thumb with kibble is 1/2 cup per 10lbs. Adjusted up or down based of activity level, body condition(heavy or lean) and amount of treats given during the day.

I re-evaluate body condition on a every 2 week basis, if getting lean I increase 25% and if too heavy decrease 25%. Treats should make up no more than 10% of diet.

Currently my dogs eat 3/4c for Ember 14 lbs, 1 cup for Justice 21lbs and 1 1/2 cups for Diva 16 lbs of wild child.:smile2:
 
Mine aren't puppies anymore, but...

Blaze is 1.5 yrs old (neutered). He weighs 37lbs and is 17.5in (he's not fat at all...he's long, he actually seems kind of boney to me) and he gets 1.5 cups/day of TotW Pacific Stream. Lilly is 3.5 yrs old (spayed). She weighs 25lbs and is 14in (a couple lbs overweight, I think...I can BARELY feel her ribs) and she gets 1 cup/day of Diamond Naturals Lamb/Rice. The only treats they get is 1/2 a Blue Buffalo apple/yogurt(??) healthbar/day and maybe a small piece of raw hamberger meat or chicken occasionally. Does this sound okay?

*In case anyone wonders...the reason they both aren't eating TotW is because I tried to switch them both over to Diamond Naturals to save a little money, but Blaze did not do well on it (constant diarrhea/soft stool for the whole month he was on it and his coat was starting to feel greasy and he got dry skin). When it is gone, they will both stay on TotW.
 
Back
Top