How much does your puppy eat?

OK I'll try veggies for now. I think he will like them. Do you mean raw or cooked?
In the meantime with the help of the dog food link you sent, I am going shopping for some better quality food.

My pups get their veggies straight from the freezer- not cooked or thawed :smile2:
 
Daleford, do you have a Great Canadian superstore nearby? I feed Indie a Canadian brand called Holistic Blend (lamb and rice). They actually do not keep this dog food with the other brands. You can find it in their Organics aisles. I fully recommend this brand, my breeder also uses it. There is no need to get a special puppy or adult version of the food. What I mean is that the nutritional value is quite good for a growing puppy. There are no by-products. And my favorite thing about this food is that Indie does not have any doggy breath from this. At 5 yrs old, his teeth is still pretty white and smells cute like a puppy.
You can feed your pup a little less than what the package guideline is for a meal and then use the remainder as a treat. It'll be just as rewarding I'm sure.

Indie is like a rabbit. He loves carrots, lettuce, apples, oranges, bananas, green beans, snow peas, pumpkin, yogurt... I think that just a bite of 1 or 2 of these sweets is plenty in 1 day. I'd play it safe.
 
Daleford, do you have a Great Canadian superstore nearby? I feed Indie a Canadian brand called Holistic Blend (lamb and rice). They actually do not keep this dog food with the other brands. You can find it in their Organics aisles. I fully recommend this brand, my breeder also uses it. There is no need to get a special puppy or adult version of the food. What I mean is that the nutritional value is quite good for a growing puppy. There are no by-products. And my favorite thing about this food is that Indie does not have any doggy breath from this. At 5 yrs old, his teeth is still pretty white and smells cute like a puppy.
You can feed your pup a little less than what the package guideline is for a meal and then use the remainder as a treat. It'll be just as rewarding I'm sure.

Indie is like a rabbit. He loves carrots, lettuce, apples, oranges, bananas, green beans, snow peas, pumpkin, yogurt... I think that just a bite of 1 or 2 of these sweets is plenty in 1 day. I'd play it safe.

Thanks for the info. We do have that store here and as I run that brand through Ann's
www.dogfoodanalysis.com site I find it at a 3 star level. See here: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1289&cat=5 [they find it low on meat content]
I have been studying this and have been out shopping. I am surprised at the large number of different brands of dog food out there. The best I've found [judging from the above website] is Go Natural grain free endurance. It comes in at the top level of 6. At level 5 I can buy Go Natural chicken fruit and veg, and Canidae beef and fish. At level 4 I can get Canidae chicken/ rice or lamb/rice, and Blue Seal by nature. Everything else is at level 3 and lower with most at only level 1! The 4 to 6 star level are recommended by the website due to their level of meat based content. From level 3 down the complaint is that the product is non-meat based.
Now I just need to compare prices and see which level I can afford :confused2:
 
Last edited:
Oh, that's interesting. I didn't think about the grain-free option (high protein). And I am saddened to see that the reviewer at that site did not recommend my chosen dog food. I could add that my breeder (laureate shelties) does use that brand and line and all I can say by looking at their dogs, I want my dog to be as healthy as their dogs :lol: I went to the Holistic Blend website and they do offer a grain-free version. I haven't tried it or seen reviews, so I don't know if it's good or not.

Tough choices :yes:. Good luck!
 
Thanks for the info. We do have that store here and as I run that brand through Ann's
www.dogfoodanalysis.com site I find it at a 3 star level. See here: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1289&cat=5 [they find it low on meat content]
I have been studying this and have been out shopping. I am surprised at the large number of different brands of dog food out there. The best I've found [judging from the above website] is Go Natural grain free endurance. It comes in at the top level of 6. At level 5 I can buy Go Natural chicken fruit and veg, and Canidae beef and fish. At level 4 I can get Canidae chicken/ rice or lamb/rice, and Blue Seal by nature. Everything else is at level 3 and lower with most at only level 1! The 4 to 6 star level are recommended by the website due to their level of meat based content. From level 3 down the complaint is that the product is non-meat based.
Now I just need to compare prices and see which level I can afford :confused2:

Go! is a Canadian-brand, high protein, grain-free diet. It was a toss up for me over GO! or Horizon Legacy (also Canadian, high protein, grain-free). I think it might be a good choice if it fits your budget. Please note that with the high quality foods you actually feed them less, so that it may seem more expensive on the surface, it actually costs you about the same in reality. (Somewhere I saw a thread or article that did the actual math comparing supermarket food and high-tech)

I believe a number of posters here are using Canidae and have good results as well.
 
Oh, that's interesting. I didn't think about the grain-free option (high protein). And I am saddened to see that the reviewer at that site did not recommend my chosen dog food. I could add that my breeder (laureate shelties) does use that brand and line and all I can say by looking at their dogs, I want my dog to be as healthy as their dogs :lol: I went to the Holistic Blend website and they do offer a grain-free version. I haven't tried it or seen reviews, so I don't know if it's good or not.

Tough choices :yes:. Good luck!

Hi, my breeder also recommended Pro Plan and I used it for about the first 10 months. In fact, I was one of those on the forum that kept insisting that dogs have been doing fine for 50 years on supermarket food.

Then I saw the light.

That being said, remember that Dog Food Analysis is only one site of many. I would google for more reviews before you make any decisions.

I'm very fond of grain-free - and after my research, it became my pre-requisite.
 
And the winner is...................Canidae My search is over. I was suprised to find a lot of places do carry a good variety of better quality dog food. I figured my K and B were costing me about a dollar a pound. I am not a rich man but I said I don't mind doubling that amount to get a better quality food. I wanted to get at least a 4 or 5 star rated product. Canidae beef is a little over $2 a pound and has a 5 star rating. Canidae chicken is exactly $2 a pound and has a 4 star rating. Because Burwick needs to shed about 3 pounds I will go with the chicken for now.
I have been experimenting with giving him new things, like carrot chunks as a treat. Also I put some mixed frozen vegetables in with his regular food. Later I found a neat pile of green beans beside his bowl. At lease he ate all the others:biggrin2:
Appreciate hearing from all that offered help. Does my plan sound OK?
 
And the winner is...................Canidae My search is over. Because Burwick needs to shed about 3 pounds I will go with the chicken for now.
I have been experimenting with giving him new things, like carrot chunks as a treat. Also I put some mixed frozen vegetables in with his regular food. Later I found a neat pile of green beans beside his bowl. At lease he ate all the others:biggrin2:
Appreciate hearing from all that offered help. Does my plan sound OK?

sounds good. love the green bean pile outside the bowl :wink2::lol:
didn't hurt to try and you might want to try again later after he's used to eating veggies. the first time I gave mine green beans- they ate around them-not even leaving the neat pile but now they chow down on any veggie in the bowl.
 
And the winner is...................Canidae My search is over. I was suprised to find a lot of places do carry a good variety of better quality dog food. I figured my K and B were costing me about a dollar a pound. I am not a rich man but I said I don't mind doubling that amount to get a better quality food. I wanted to get at least a 4 or 5 star rated product. Canidae beef is a little over $2 a pound and has a 5 star rating. Canidae chicken is exactly $2 a pound and has a 4 star rating. Because Burwick needs to shed about 3 pounds I will go with the chicken for now.
I have been experimenting with giving him new things, like carrot chunks as a treat. Also I put some mixed frozen vegetables in with his regular food. Later I found a neat pile of green beans beside his bowl. At lease he ate all the others:biggrin2:
Appreciate hearing from all that offered help. Does my plan sound OK?

I think you've struck a good balance and made some good dietary choices.

Good luck!
 
I picked up the Canidae chicken with rice last evening. The first thing that I noticed was it doesn't "look" as appetizing as some other foods. All one color as opposed to Kibble and Bits. Anyway, I mixed some in and he ate it. Of course, since I cut back on his food, he'll eat anything and everything.:smile2:
So I will gradually change over to Canidae and supplement with some frozen vegetables, a bit of chicken breast and whatever else is good for him.
One last question. I think I was told earlier on that 2, 3/4 cups of food daily [total = 1 and 1/2 cups daily] is the proper amount for this 35-37 pound dog. That does not look like much food as I look into his bowl.:( Just to confirm, is that really all he should get ?:confused2:
 
Back
Top