How to get my Cali to chew her food?!

Well now what to do?

Here I thought all this time that he may be eating to quickly.But now I'm not sure...

Cause this morning again he vomited his breakfast. This is what has happened,and really not even sure if this is the culprit.

But we all remember the recall on Nutro Ultra,so with much thought,comparing etc..we thought we would give Diamond a try.

With what was left of his Nutro puppy,I slowly introduced the Diamond.his Nutro is all gone,and has been on Diamond now completely.But Now I am rethinking..it is not puppy Diamond.

I guess what might be good for someone elses dogs,may not be right for me.As I was in our feed store,and chatting with a lady,as she also was buying her bag of Diamond for her pups.She is a breeder of bulldogs.(Forgot her site or I would share)but a nice lady,and I asked her if she also feeds a line of Diamond to her puppies.She told me that the diamond would certainly be just fine,as this is what she sent her puppies to thier forever homes on.

I don't know what to do.I am only left to go to Walmart and get a bag of puppy chow,but the only higher quality would be Iamms,until I get to Rockingham tomorrow for a bag of something....

I need some thoughts please,cause I don't want Trapp being sick. it's back to puppy chow,but I don't know what to buy tomorrow~
 
Some of the slow down bowls might work. I retried Smudge with his old bowl after giving it up for a while. It's the only bowl that forces him to eat all of his Vibrant Pets. The only reason I stopped using it is because Smudge's skin was showing from his mange. When he would use that bowl I was afraid he would hurt himself, because he would gobble and circle the bowl so much. Then he's quickly shove his head back down into the bowl. :uhoh:

It's only $5 at PetSmart. It has stopped him from throwing up. Either that or maybe hand feed him until you can figure something else out?
 
Well thats basically what I did this morning,as he was having a difficult time with the tug-a-jug. I hand fed him,and also from his kong he ate.

But I am really rethinking his food. What do you feed? Since I do not have access to a petsmart,I can always get t oone,but it will not be until the 21st.As I will be going to my son's house. I have to deliver a cake..3 hours,but I will be close to a petsmart.

For tonite I will give him some boiled chicken & rice,hopefully to settle his belly,as I do not want him sick again today. And I can't rule out it could be the food.

Jeepers christ..ya could read forever on these dog food analysis sites,and it makes you head spin.
These are my top choices~
Innova
Orijen
Wellness
Natures Variety
Natural Balance
Nutro Ultra
Eukanuba
 
I'm feeding Orijen. Any grain free dog food I would have to order online because of where I live. Several people on here were using it so I decided to try it as well.

Now that Smudge is a few days shy of 7 months I am going to start him on the Orijen adult dog food.
 
A couple of things~

First off to let anyone know that may feed a Diamond Natural product to thier CATS only there is a food recall.
you can view the details at:
www.fda.gov

After much thought & thinking and calling I have decided to go back to the Nutro line of dog food for Trapp only. Maybe if we had taken some time to look into the recall,I do not think I would have ever switched foods.

The recall only affected PetsMarts & Petco's in the south western part of the US. After talking with a rep at Nutro,she assured me that any store that is in NC that carries the Nutro line was not affected at all,and the product is definately safe.

I do think that this is a food issue(adult Diamond Natuals) combined with Trapp eating like there is no tomorrow.Plus we are going to try to keep him maybe a bit more quiet,versus running,jumping right after he eats.maybe it will help. And hopefully he won't be up chucking every meal.

And thank you Jess for your help~:wink2:
 
Well thats basically what I did this morning,as he was having a difficult time with the tug-a-jug.

It took Edan about 3 days to figure out the tug-a-jug. Until that time, what I did was put a handful of kibble in it and just left it out for him. I fed him his normal dinner in either the Buster Cube or Pyramid toys we have.

Edan is a food hound - if it's food he wants it. This made him drawn like a magnet to the tug-a-jug. By just leaving it out with a minimal amount of food, it allowed him to puzzle it out at his own pace without me having to worry about him getting too frustrated. (At points he actually stood back and barked at it.) He'd play with it for a bit, wander away when he was frustrated, but always went back until he got all the food out.

Now he has it mastered and can get all the food out in about 10 minutes.
 
*Caro showed me a way to make my own feed bottle to slow down Buddy when he inhaled food. He hasn't done it anymore, since he's had his bottles. Some days I can't find the bottle, so I feed him in the bowl and he still takes his time.

Anyway, take a clean empty bottle (I use a bottle from Real Lemon Juice). Since it's Trapp's first time, use a drill or safety blade to make about 7 holes in the bottle--the holes should be just a bit bigger than the dog kibble. Then take the lid off and use a funnel to put in the desire amount of food, then put the cap back on and give it to Trapp. If he doesn't seem interested, roll it around a little bit so some food comes out. You might have to roll it a lot the first few days. It will also make Trapp think about how to get the food.

Buddy is so good at it now, that we made him a bottle with just 2 holes in it. He loves the bottle and will use it as a toy, too. He likes to carry it around by the bottle throat. We're trying to find a cute liquor bottle for his next one.
Figure he'll be pretty funny throwing that around.

Good Luck!
 
I would use plastic right?
He is getting the hang of the tug-a-jug.as he definately was more into it tonite for supper. I did however not put his full amount in there,I hand fed him small amounts,plus I put his food dish away from him,so he had to walk to and from my hand to eat.

honestly he is none for the worse by throwing up earliar this morning,as today he has acted totally normal.His belly is not hard,and has had good poo today.

I have made my mind up about his dog food,and I am going back to the Nutro,plus I will keep up with slowing his food intake down as much as I can.

I have never in my life seen a puppy inhale food as he does. Are all shelties this way?
He acts as though he is starving,or he is scared something is going to get his food. He even acts that way with a treat.Now I put him in his crate,just to calm him,so he does'nt think that Earnhardt will get his food.

Earnhardt would'nt bother him,but I think he feels he needs to eat so fast to keep Earnhardt at bay.
I have not ventured to feed both dogs yet in the same room,in any other pup I have had,I would not hesitate,but gosh darn..he kinda scares me the way he eats so fast.
Today just has not been a good day,been so worried about him.

Plus I had conversation with Danni's owner,and autopsy report showed she had been biten by a poisenous snake. They are still in a state of profound grief over losing her,I am to.It's hard to loose a babe,and I know every one knows this pain.

Sorry for the rambling,but its not been a good day~
 
Bailey inhales her food too. She is much worse with canned food. She eats 1/3 of a large can of dog food in a minute, maybe even less, but luckily she doesn't throw up.

here's some good tips.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2160178_keep-dog-eating-fast.html

They mention in this article to put a large rock in your pup's food bowl. Large enough that they definitely can't swallow it. This forces the dog to eat around the rock and slows him down.
 
Back
Top