How to get my Cali to chew her food?!

Here's an interesting thing I learned today....

Indy scarfs his food big time. But lately I've been adding a tbsp of wet food to his dish, because I give it to Bacca, to intice him to eat. I kinda thought that it had slowed Indy down, but wasn't sure.

Today, I ran out of wet food, so only gave Indy kibble. By the time I had put down Indy's bowl, picked up Bacca's and set his down, Indy was done!!! I'm talking about 30 seconds here! There was no chewing, coulnd't have. He must have just taken in a breath and inhaled them all in one!

He shaved off a full 30 seconds with dry kibble vs. mixed. What a pig! But it does make me wonder if adding moisture to the kibble slows it down some.
 
here's another great thing you can put in his food bowl.

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Large-Portion-Pacer-Porcelain/dp/B0028QHN6I/

Thank you for the link,however after reading the reviews, besides the fact that it did work as far as slowing them down,one review was that it was carried and dropped..and broke. It is made of porcelian. so I would be hesitant.

But not to say I don't have something here that would work..got me thinking!

I think I am going to try a few differant things,to see if they work. I felt alot better after chatting with Janet tonite,and she brought up a couple of things that may help.

1) Trapp has definately designated Earnhardt the alpha.Even when it comes to going in and out of a door..he waits for Earnhardt to go first. Very obvious~
2) Since he has designated Earnhardt the alpha,and he is totally literally attached to Earnhardt at the hip..maybe it would be better to feed in the same room. I actually thought maybe Trapp was afraid Earnhardt would eat his food..but now it could be possible that he is inhaling his food,because he wants to go be with him in the other room.

They both get fed at the same time,but seperately. At this time,I would normally have been working on feeding in the same room,and teaching "leave it".

I had explained to Janet,that at one time having 4 females(fosters) here,and Earnhardt being the only male,everyone ate at the same time,in the same room, never a one would venture to another bowl between the females.

However Earnhardt would not start to eat until every one was finished.As if he was making sure every one was fed.If one approached his dish..he would back away,and let them eat. So he's definately not a food agressive dog.

I will be rethinking a few things,but I am still leaning towards putting him back on the food he was doing very well on,leaving Earnhardt on the Diamond Naturals,at least until the food bin is empty.
 
I think I am going to try a few differant things,to see if they work. I felt alot better after chatting with Janet tonite,and she brought up a couple of things that may help.

1) Trapp has definately designated Earnhardt the alpha.Even when it comes to going in and out of a door..he waits for Earnhardt to go first. Very obvious~
2) Since he has designated Earnhardt the alpha,and he is totally literally attached to Earnhardt at the hip..maybe it would be better to feed in the same room. I actually thought maybe Trapp was afraid Earnhardt would eat his food..but now it could be possible that he is inhaling his food,because he wants to go be with him in the other room.

They both get fed at the same time,but seperately. At this time,I would normally have been working on feeding in the same room,and teaching "leave it".

I had explained to Janet,that at one time having 4 females(fosters) here,and Earnhardt being the only male,everyone ate at the same time,in the same room, never a one would venture to another bowl between the females.

However Earnhardt would not start to eat until every one was finished.As if he was making sure every one was fed.If one approached his dish..he would back away,and let them eat. So he's definately not a food agressive dog.

interesting theory that Trapp can't wait to get back to Earnhardt- might be something there.
 
Putting them together may help. But if you have to put them on different diets, then I've had trouble with it. Yes, if you use the bottle with holes in it, it has to be a plastic bottle, hopefully something a bit stronger than the little water bottles.

Most shelties eat like pigs, and also show the tendancy to eat until they will explode. If you want Trapp to live a long life, it's best to portion his food out every day.

Well, I hope something will help. Good luck!
 
I hope that works. Let us know it tomorrow's feeding goes.

They also have a stainless portion pacer ball. They give you the option at the top of the page between porcelain and stainless
 
I had both the pacer ball and the dish in my hands today, weighing the choices.

I went to the cash with the pacer ball and asked the clerk what she thought about it. Oh! Yes! I've used it on my pets and it was great!

Fed Indy his dinner....I think it shaved off about 10 seconds. :rolleyes2: Now dinner is done in 40 seconds instead of 30.

What next? Thankfully, he does not throw it up - yet.
 
Putting them together may help. But if you have to put them on different diets, then I've had trouble with it. Yes, if you use the bottle with holes in it, it has to be a plastic bottle, hopefully something a bit stronger than the little water bottles.

Most shelties eat like pigs, and also show the tendancy to eat until they will explode. If you want Trapp to live a long life, it's best to portion his food out every day.

Well, I hope something will help. Good luck!

Well today & yesterday morning,both guys ate in the same room,it went quite well. I did come up with the idea of putting Trapps food in a muffin tin..which he totally had a great time,it took him about 20 minutes to eat all the morsels.

As far as Earnhardt eating in the same room,he just looked at him..went about his business. We do feed two differant foods,but this whole process for Trapp is a good way to teach "leave it",and he's getting the hang of things.

No bloated belly or vomiting in a few days on Trapp.So hopefully we're getting it under control

I have a freind that is visitng from Florida,and she has a rescue organization there,called SparticusLegacy. She borught me some great interactive toys for Trapp,all are dispensing toys. He is loving them~
 
Aztec eats his food disgustingly fast. He basically just swallows everything. We had to stop giving him larger treats (rawhide types that weren't rawhide but something more digestible) because he would swallow the entire thing in one gulp.

I know this sounds messy, but I actually spill a bit of his kibble on the floor around his bowl rather then put it all in the bowl. Aztec then has to search for the pieces...it makes it more interesting for him, and it slows down his eating time by a bit. He has a placemat under his bowl and that where I scatter the kibble - on the mat. If I put kibble in too large of in area he gets kind of frantic running around trying to eat it.
 
Back
Top