I need a rucksack!

I can remember in public school here in Ontario, many years ago, we were taught the "correct" forms of words and then the American forms (i.e. favour/favor, etc.)
 
What's even funnier for me, as an American, is that I naturally spell some words with their Queen's English spelling: honour, behaviour, and armour for example. Then there are other words like center and color that I spell in American English.

Talk about being messed up. :lol:
 
I always spell in the Queen's english, but I'm guilty of pronouncing lieutenant instead of "lefttenant"

As for the french....nobody could be more insular than French Canadians. I live in France for 4 years and also in Quebec for 4 years. English phrases were the norm in Paris - i.e. "le Weekend". Here in Quebec....it's ALWAYS "fin de semaine".

Now what was the original topic again....oh yeah...bags!
 
OMG why would you rewrite the English - are Americans are getting as bad as the French with not wanting 'foreign' words to infiltrate the language.:wink2:

It's all about making money :wink2:

The publishing companies rewrite the books, because they sell better in the US that way. Americans like to spend their money, and the publishers want it! They wouldn't change it.....if it wasn't about that bottom line! :cool:
 
I can remember in public school here in Ontario, many years ago, we were taught the "correct" forms of words and then the American forms (i.e. favour/favor, etc.)

I do believe that is very common in many different languages/coutnries. There are always the different dialects, based on the region where the language was being spoke/written.

How about Switzerland? They are about the size of the state of Massachusetts, speak four different languages, and do not even "write" their native Swiss. When they write, they write in German. Phewww....now that would be confusing.

So......How off topic are we now?

Sorry :o
 
I don't care if we have gone off topic - this is way too fascinating a thread now.

Oh, and try having a Suffolk accent and writing stuff and then being told that it doesn't make any sense - makes sense to me thank you!
 
I don't care if we have gone off topic - this is way too fascinating a thread now.

Oh, and try having a Suffolk accent and writing stuff and then being told that it doesn't make any sense - makes sense to me thank you!

:lol:I find this interesting too.

This is all part of the charm of having a forum like this. It brings people from all over the world together with a common interest. So cool :cool: And educational :smile2:
 
Hearing from people all over the world gives us a better understanding of the obstacles and challenges and joys of working with our Shelties and gives us a chance to laugh as well at what we find humourous in our languages. Just think - our Shelties don't mind the accents, the language variants - they love us anyway.
 
It's all about making money :wink2:

The publishing companies rewrite the books, because they sell better in the US that way. Americans like to spend their money, and the publishers want it! They wouldn't change it.....if it wasn't about that bottom line! :cool:

definitely about the money- at least 2 people on this forum have both sets of HP books- that's the way to make money- just think how many other people have purchased multiple sets. I have paperback and hardback- both are American versions though- guess I need a third set now.:winkgrin:
 
And then there are the child and adult version front covers of course, some people have a set of those each. Oh and potentially the US covers will be different from the UK. It just goes on and on.:lol:
 
Back
Top