If any of you think you can help me out, feel free to try...

I agree with everyone here on the protein level. Unless you're training a performance dog for herding, agility or field work, you don't need that high a protein level. Optimum protein is mid-20's for Shelties. We have a number of threads here that discuss this topic at GREAT length, if you can bear to wade through them.

My dogs eat either Artemis Fresh Mix Small Bites or Go (not the Endurance) which I switched to after lots of research. They love the taste, their weight is more easily maintained, and it doesn't break the bank.
 
I have to also say go for raw. I can't help in recommending foods as everything I say will be UK based.

Very few dry foods contain no 'nasties', most have at least preservatives so the food doesn't decay.

If you are concerned about humane treatment of animals then definitely go down the raw route.

I am fortunate that in the UK our compulsory animal welfare standards for livestock are very high, which is why I always buy British. Meat sourced from outside the UK is more dubious. That is also where the salmonella risk comes in. Eggs produced in the UK are randomly tested for salmonella and also there is a vaccination program, that means our home produced eggs have one of the lowest rates for salmonella.

Unfortunately, many food producers find UK eggs too expense so pick products from Thailand and Spain, where conditions are not so good and these are the eggs that contain the disease.
 
I mentioned this in your thread about orijen and pork...

If you and your puppy really like Acana Pacifica and the only drawback is that the kibble is hard for her to chew, then just add some water to the kibble to moisten it. It'll be much easier for her to eat and you won't have to switch foods.

I asked the vet if I could do that and he said it is bad for thier teeth... he said just try a different dry kibble because i dont want dental problems. The other dog i have now (maltese), we have spent thousands of dollars in vet bills on his teeth :no:
 
May I ask why your looking for such a high protein level? 30-40 is a bit high, unless of course your dog it out in 30 below and running the iditarod...

As far as $77 per bag what size bag are you buying?!?!! I buy merrick BG and a 30lb bag costs me around $40.

That same bag you buy, costs 68 here. Its very expensive where I live apparently... I will be getting into agility and have been told that the high protein improves performance, which does makes sense to me
 
I'm really not interested in feeding raw for many reasons, but I know it would be the absolute best for my girl, but i know nothing about it and dont really have the time to learn, and prepare ect. If kibble is this hard to choose I cant imagine going through raw:dead:
 
Have you thought about feeding raw? It seems like that would give you the the ability to control exactly what she is eating.

That was my thought exactly. Then you can make her diet exactly what you want it to be. There's also prepared raw meals you could look into, but it sounds like that might defeat the purpose for you, since you get what you buy again.

I mentioned before that Sadie and Ginny are on Wellness (the non grain free, lower priced one) and have been doing very well on it. I've not only been impressed with the food but also with the company. They have excellent customer service and welcome communications with customers.

I know you prefer Acana but as you said, your dog won't eat it. My dogs go crazy for Wellness dog food which IS a good quality food. Maybe you should bite the bullet and spend the extra money, assume she likes it.
 
I asked the vet if I could do that and he said it is bad for thier teeth... he said just try a different dry kibble because i dont want dental problems. The other dog i have now (maltese), we have spent thousands of dollars in vet bills on his teeth :no:

Personally, I never understood when people said "dry food is good for dogs' teeth." When I eat crunchy cereal or a cookie, it doesn't keep my teeth clean. And there's no ingredients in kibble that I know of to prevent tarter build up.

The best way that I know of to keep your dog's teeth clean is to brush them every day. That's how you'll reduce dental problems.
 
Personally, I never understood when people said "dry food is good for dogs' teeth." When I eat crunchy cereal or a cookie, it doesn't keep my teeth clean. And there's no ingredients in kibble that I know of to prevent tarter build up.

The best way that I know of to keep your dog's teeth clean is to brush them every day. That's how you'll reduce dental problems.

So I asked my DH, the almost-dentist :razz: and he said that it has a cleaning effect from the coarseness of the food scraping against the teeth and gums. But, it's not a substitute for maintaining your dog's oral hygiene on your own (like tooth brushing, etc...)

So in other words, some foods are better (dry vs. wet) than other foods, but nothing beats brushing your dogs' teeth.

(And Randi, the sugar in cereal and cookies, though delicious :biggrin2:, counteracts all positive effects)
 
So I asked my DH, the almost-dentist :razz: and he said that it has a cleaning effect from the coarseness of the food scraping against the teeth and gums. But, it's not a substitute for maintaining your dog's oral hygiene on your own (like tooth brushing, etc...)

So in other words, some foods are better (dry vs. wet) than other foods, but nothing beats brushing your dogs' teeth.

Good to know. thanks!

(And Randi, the sugar in cereal and cookies, though delicious :biggrin2:, counteracts all positive effects)

That is a lie. There is nothing negative about cookies :winkgrin:
 
Back
Top