Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Insurance?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by mimiretz, May 6, 2018.

1. Gypsy0211

Gypsy0211 Forums Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    New England
    I was offered Trupanion through my vet's office, but I ultimately decided against it. Knock on wood, I hope I don't reget that decision. But being chronically ill myself since the early 2000s, I didn't think I could handle the headache of dealing with another health insurance. I've spent so much time arguing about the silliest things regarding my own health, I didn't know if I could handle doing it for my dog. I've seen a lot of people recommend putting aside $25-50 a month into a separate bank account for visits (I don't even know if yearly check-ups are covered through insurance!), and emergencies. And there's always CareCredit if something catastrophic should happen, God forbid, and you need some serious cash.

On the other hand, my first dog was diagnosed with cancer pretty late stage, and by accident. It did cost quite a bit for X-rays and other health related issues that came up prior to her diagnosis--like bladder ultrasounds to check for tumors or issues due to a recurring UTI, and antibiotics. It adds up really fast. I feel like pet insurance has been around for a while, I distinctly remember maybe a handful of companies offering it when I got her in 2002, and now it's definitely exploded.

Kobe Lene likes this.
  2. Kobe Lene

Kobe Lene Forums Regular

Aug 8, 2018
    Winnipeg Manitoba
    We have put Pet plan on our little 3 yr old Kobe! Has anyone had issues with them and or trupanion (probably spelled wrong ). I heard pet plan raises their prices as the dog ages each year and tru panion doesn’t? Thanks

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I just bought a policy from Trupanion for my puppy Liam per Ann’s recommendation. Their price was competitive and what finally made my decision was what Ann said about the amount not going up for the life of the pet!

I all my years owning Shelties I never had pet insurance! I always had a separate bank account for any health care issues that arose.

Now that I am semi retired I felt it might be better to get insurance

4. Kobe Lene

Kobe Lene Forums Regular

Aug 8, 2018
    Winnipeg Manitoba

Thank you for the reply, I have pet plan, but I will look into switching as I was thinking of it already due to the rising costs as the pe5 gets older. Trupanion is a bit more up front but when I spoke with them, they said they only raise per inflation on a yearly bases. So I’ll check them out.

5. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Just keep in mind with Trupanion, that the deductible is PER DIAGNOSIS. So if you have a $500 deductible, and your pet has 4 separate things happen in, say, 6 months time, you will still be paying $2000 plus your copay. The good part of that is that once your pet meets the deductible for that particular diagnosis the only thing remaining will be the copay for life - but if you own a young dog, remember that several things can (and often do) go wrong over an extended period of time, and you will be subject to the deductible every time a new diagnosis is given. So you could potentially still have to shell out a considerable amount of money in a very short time.

ghggp likes this.
  6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I have Trupanion and have loved it--my rates have only gone down over the years, never up! That being said, Cara is right. The deductible is per diagnosis. But it's perfect for me as I mostly have it for catastrophic issues (I even have the $1000 deductible).

ghggp likes this.
  7. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Wow Trupanion's deductible per diagnosis must be a newer thing. I never heard of that. I would've assumed the deductible was per year. I only have one dog, so I am able to get the $0 deductible. However, unlike others that posted here, my dog's rate has gone up a little every year. Most years it only went up a few bucks, but one year it did increase $20+ a month.

I am very glad I purchased it when my girl was a puppy. You never want to have to use it. I'd rather have lost money paying the monthly rate and never making a claim. Unfortunately, I've had to use the insurance more than I expected, but I am very grateful I have it and never have to debate running tests or treatment.

ghggp likes this.
  8. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    I like Embrace as well. We do not recommend specific companies for fear we might have some sort of deal, but Embrace is the example I use on our website. I find them very responsive, (the most important thing for an insurance company) and user friendly. I agree with RikyR's remarks.

Sharon7 likes this.
  9. Sonoma girl

Sonoma girl Forums Regular

Apr 12, 2013

10. Sonoma girl

Sonoma girl Forums Regular

Apr 12, 2013
    Late answer
    Trupanion has been very good so far.
    Quick response and sent check very quickly. Sure seems better than people health insurers.

Piper's mom, Ann and ghggp like this.