Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Insurance?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by mimiretz, May 6, 2018.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    That is good to hear as that was the insurance I signed up for. Thank goodness I have not had to use it yet!

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I've spent a ton of money trying to diagnose Flurry's skin allergies. I filed all my vet bills with Trupanion once I met the deductible and they covered 90 percent of everything, and promptly! When I had to call or email with questions, they were great. Very responsive and deposited the money right to my bank account. Four thumbs up!

3. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2019
    Ann, I was reading some old posts in the forum regarding pet insurance. Looks like you switched from Healthy Paws to Trupanion. Were you not happy with Healthy Paws? I am looking for an insurance that doesn’t increase premium with dog’s age. Healthy Paws and Trupanion both claim they do not. However, they do seem to increase premium when average vet cost in a specific areas goes up. I’m trying to decide between these two. I wonder if you have any feedback on the comparison of the two. Thank you.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    To say I was not happy with Healthy Paws is an understatement. They refused to cover a condition of a puppy I had that their policy specifically says is covered. I insured her at 9 weeks old, when I brought her home, and filed a claim for the problem when she was 10 months old. They said they wouldn't cover it because the policy hadn't been in force for 12 months. Ridiculous! She wasn't 12 months old, and I insured her as soon as I got her! Nowhere on their website or in their material does it say that policies have to be in force for a year. No way would I use them.

My experience with Trupanion has been the opposite. Again, Flurry's skin issue started before she was a year old. After my initial claim and contacting my vet, they reimbursed me within a week. Every claim since then (and we've had many, since this is ongoing) has been paid within 48 hours of my filing it. Filing claims is super easy online, and their customer service is terrific. They've covered 90 percent of everything. I can't recommend them highly enough.

5. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2019
    That sounds like an awful experience with Healthy Paws. May I ask what condition did they play this bait and switch?

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Hip displaysia...clearly covered in their list, with no note about a 12-month waiting period.