Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Justus and Flyer 2019

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by 2GoodDogs, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    She does! Just sacks out and wakes up in the City of Light. She's an Assistance Dog.

KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    his jumping problems are visual- he has a hard time judging where the bar is. He has done much better with the jumps in rally as we are generally walking and not running like in agility and the solid jump is definitely more visually there for him. He hasn't really had problems with the broad jump but we haven't done it in a while so we should set that up sometime.......
    In rally, taking the jumps tends to instigate barking so that's also a concern at this point.....

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Ahhh I see...I've also had issues with Piper and the bar jump. What worked for me is getting closer to the bar in practice (you have to teach them to REALLY look for it, because it is hard to see) and working on it A LOT! Piper still has his moments when he wants to take the high jump (in practice and in a trial).
    I also bought an obedience book on Amazon (obedience and the small dog) it's based on AKC rules but probably a bit out of date but had good tips for training.
    You've got lots of time to work through that as the bar isn't used until Utility.
    Here's the link to my obedience trainers website if your interested in getting a bell, she's very helpful.
    You have to send a message for what you want to order and then she sends either a PayPal invoice or etransfer bill. She also makes leashes amongst other things.
    https://sottogermanshepherds.weebly.com/sottogermanshepherds-956588.html

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    This is the obedience book I bought (on kindle, probably at least a year ago) step by step training on each level based on AKC requirements (old version, a bit out of date but still has the basics).

http://a.co/1hoDg9r

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    this is great- thanks. I will have to check out the site......

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    That's a classic obedience book by Gerianne Dernell, I have had it on the shelves for years! Lot's of good info.

Calliesmom, you are right about the changes, I was caught kind off guard about the "now" it's stand-get your leash.

I showed to the Hornfisher's, love them... they are kind, supportive and score what they see.

Saturday was amazing, one of the most amazing runs I've had, up to the broad jump. A poorly timed jump command and he sat there. A second command was an NQ and but he nailed the front and finish. We had lost only 4 points up to that unfortunate exercise! That was failure # 5 for an Open leg.

Meanwhile, Justus was in head to head competition with his dear friend Trevy in Veteran's. Justus is 7, Trevy 11. Justus heeled his heart out, every step bringing a huff and puff of pride in strutting! His score was a 197. Trevy however, blew us all away, stepping up and taking the class with a 198.5! Good job by my dear friends Susan Moore and Trevy, a versatile companion dog 2!

On Sunday, I was pretty much a train wreck but Flyer covered for me, losing 2 on heeling, and not a whole lot more. Russ said to clean up his finishes and we would be really happy. He won the class easily with a 196.5, and our first leg. Good dog. He was a trainwreck in practice last night. :p

So, now I have to find another trail to enter, or wait until March to get another try.

7. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    CM, get a plain dowel rod, pencil, something like a stick and have him hold it in his mouth, behind the canine's. Mark each side with a pencil mark and you will have the width you need of the bit. The ends will probably be 2.5" High angle would be good, high profile too. The folks at Max200 are awesome and they will send you their educated guess and you can return it for tweaking the fit, if necessary.

They have been right first time, for four of my dogs. :)

The Drop On Recall has been a problem for Flyer, he travels too far after the command, and before the drop - so I call the down, wait one second and if he isn't down I'm moving towards him and rewarding the down (in the down) when he does. This is working for us better than anything else I've tried.

Bobby and Justus had an instinctive immediate down... go figure, Flyer is different. :D

So fronts and finishes and losing a slight lag on the outside figure 8 is on our current improvement plan. The command discrimination is going well but he's losing a half point for a slight forward movement on sit from down.

Flyer will be five years old in June. Justus is eight next month...I'm starting to dream of a sable puppy, early next year.

8. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Saturday was fun! I showed Flyer to judge Leslye Pinnell, and had a great run! 195 and 2nd place (although that doesn't matter, what matters to me is how well he works for me!) And that was CDX leg #2, I was feeling pretty sure when I showed on Sunday that we were going to qualify again... but a second command to stand on the Command Discrimination exercise put that idea up in smoke...
    Otherwise it was a good run, losing just about the same points in the same spots, had we not NQ on the CD ...

So, good thing I had that "insurance leg" entry in the mail, we will try again on Saturday, Feb. 3. :)

When I get a good internet connection I'd love to share Sunday's run with you! Finally a friendly person video taped us.

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Congrats:smile2:

yay for insurance entries:yes:
    can't wait for the video:pop

10. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta