Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Justus and Flyer 2019

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by 2GoodDogs, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Most of the judges I've met are very very nice and really try to make you feel comfortable in the ring. The judge I dislike is very bitchy, a soft talker (and when your heeling and she says HALT and I'm like did she just say halt or ....) and pushy. She actually told me that I'd scented my article enough (amongst other things).

I did learn a lot from her (like cleaning up my signals) but I really don't like her lol.

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    interesting- yes, most of the judges have been very nice and super helpful to the novice people. (and I'm not that far out of novice......) in obedience......

3. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    This weekend we try again for that last open A leg... also entered Versatility and wild card utility, we aren't ready but it was only $10 for a real life run-thru. :) Justus is doing nothing, taking a break...we un-entered the UKC trials.

I had reserved time off from work for the Tulsa experience but that trip isn't happening, so I'll take the time off and walk/hike/clean house/bake dog treats/ and watch the RNC and NOC on AKC TV. :D

ghggp, Piper's mom and Calliesmom like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
  5. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Good luck to you and enjoy your time off! Sounds like you have a full plate!

7. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Lordy! :D

Introducing....

FLYER CDX PCDX RE CGC! :) :) :)

Friday night we did Wild Card Utility, signals my wild card. He got all but the stand signal although the heeling was an argument the entire pattern. He growled, threatened my knee, forged and missed a sit. Then he blew both articles, the moving stand was perfect.... and on go outs he barked, got his jumps and went short on the 2nd go out... our score something like a 29... :p

I didn't have a lot of confidence Saturday... but we went anyway.

First class was Versatility and whew, the pattern was: Novice Heel Free, Recall, Open Retrieve on Flat, Retrieve Over High, Utility Moving Stand, Directed Jumping. :) I picked up my armband and we were off. A little arguing on HF, not too bad. Nice recall, good retrieves. We were passing so far...

The moving stand was good but I got a front instead of a return to heel, -3. All my fault because I only verbally commanded and both are allowed.
    So... DJ, he did it very well!!! Our first Versatility leg and a 190, good for 1st!

About an hour later the Open A class was called. I was third in, the first two did okay but did not qualify. I was so nervous but set up to heel and we were off. I was wondering who was this perfect dog and where did he come from! We only lost 1 point on our heel free and figure 8! :eek:

Command discrimination, our biggest fear factor and mostly failed exercise. Why, because the stupid stand your dog at heel. 6 times in competition he wouldn't stand on the first command. So judge says "stand your dog" I took a deep breath waiting two long seconds, and "Flyer, STAND" and HE DID!!!! the down and sit were awesome and I did not see the judge mark his sheet! Perfect exercise!!!! :eek:

Then drop on recall, and I was keenly aware of the Novice B class getting awards in the other ring. Clapping and cheers and I'm a little worried... thought about using a signal to drop him but gave a strong DOWN verbally, and he did. :D I think we lost a point, .5 on front, .5 on finish.

Whew... retrieve on flat, good dog, nice job. -1

Retrieve over high, my throw was close but far to the right and a difficult angle. To my relief Judge Jeff Kerns called it short and brought it to me to throw again. Whew. Next throw was dead center and Flyer sailed over and back to a crooked front. -.5

The broad jump... uh-oh, we've blown this one before but with the same caution and pause and intentionally delay, Flyer, JUMPl... and he did but it was dangerously close to anticipation in my eyes! He did and landed a perfect front and finish. :D -0.

Okay, here is that dam stand from a heel and go get your leash. I was fighting tears, not sure why... but he stood and stayed and I became the happiest girl in the USA.

So 3 for 9 and we are CDX... :D I learned a lot more from my failures than my successes in this particular part of our journey!
    Flyer got leftover bits of steak and now we are wondering do we go again today, or just end on this good vibe????

We have Versatility in an hour, I have nothing to lose... would you go and show?

No video. :( I can post win pictures though! I think...

Calliesmom, corbinam and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Huge CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    Boy...your Open is wayyyy harder than ours (broad jump, retrieve on flat and high, drop on recall, heel free and figure 8 sit and down stay 3 minutes out of sight)
    I can't imagine having to do signals in Open! Almost as hard as Utility!
    I'd go for it...what've you got to lose?

I've found that if I open my feet just a bit more (so they're not so close together but still looks natural) I'm getting almost perfect fronts with Piper (and he always gives crooked fronts). Try it, it might help.

2GoodDogs likes this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Congrats:yes:
    great job

2GoodDogs likes this.