Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Justus and Flyer 2019

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by 2GoodDogs, Jan 8, 2019.

1. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Ready for Grad Open in the morning, I will have a special surprise guest with me tomorrow, my eight year old Grandson, Nate, is coming with me! EEEk!!! So, I'm already looking forward to the ice cream on the way home. :D After Flyer, Justus will take a turn in Veterans obedience, he is all brushed out and shiny. :)

Sunday we go rally round the ring for RAE leg, 7 I think...

Calliesmom likes this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    hope your grandson can video:fl:pop
    hurry up and get those RAE legs so you can come to Ohio....................................:yes:

3. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Saturday went very well! I was highly impressed that 8 year old Nate shook hands and introduced himself and told my friends and acquaintances it was very nice to meet them! Lovely socialization on this boy and I am so thankful his parents have instilled manners. :D

That is brag enough, but then my dogs deserve to shine too. :) Flyer has Grad Open leg # 2, 189 and 1st under Ken Kincaid who hit is a little hard on signals, but we deserved it with a hop forward from down to sit (-5) and a few many more points off for crooked fronts/finishes.

Justus was the only non-Golden retriever in the Veterans obedience class. He heeled like a dream, figure 8 almost flawless! He auto finished on the recall and still had a respectable 193 and 4th place!

Sunday was Rally for Flyer. Disappointed we lost a point in Advanced 99, and a 4th place, and crushed I had 2 IP in Excellent... no score to count for Ohio National. Oh well, we will hope for that score at the end of the month.

Our Utility A debut is Saturday and Sunday at a local one ring trial. We aren't ready for full pile articles but I'm ready to celebrate everything he does get right. Justus gets the weekend off.

And...so exciting, our entry for Open was accepted to the Obedience Classic in Orlando Florida this December. I'm breaking open the piggy bank and going to treat myself - like I did with Justus last year. :) :) :)

I'm making all these memories, while I can! The dogs grow old way.too.fast.

Calliesmom likes this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    sounds like a great weekend:yes:
    video???:pop

5. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Well our Utility A debut came and went. Saturday he missed the down signal and ran in for a perfect front. We finished everything else well except the scent article (2nd send).

Sunday he caught himself on the down signal, he sprung forward and then downed. It might have been a substantial penalty but I think might have passed if he had not missed his 2nd scent article. (no surprise there)

So we had to love being 10 minutes from the trial site and on Saturday joined friends at a new dog friendly restaurant nearby, The Lazy Dog. Not sure if they were quite used to a group of 4 women and 8 dogs on the patio.. but they did great keeping the water bowls full for the dogs, and mimosa's flowing for us. :D

After the 90 minute brunch we headed over to the Chattahoochee River. OMG what fun! Justus and Flyer had their swim vests on and they actually followed me into the river and we had a great time! The border collies we were swimming with didn't need any flotation devices and I think were even giggling at my shelties. Anyway, the border collies showed 'em how its done! It was a great day and I'll share the pictures when I figure out how.

Next up is the Griffin KC trial August 24-25 in downtown Atlanta (well, by the airport) for a obedience entries on Saturday and rally on Sunday. Even Justus gets to do a Rally Excellent run. I'll ask any warm body to video us...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Calliesmom likes this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    excellent try. not sure how many utility runs my friend has done but she got her first Utility A Q yesterday. we were all very excited. I did take video- didn't tell her, didn't ask- just do it:winkgrin:
    I do need to do a post too- Triple Q 20, only 70 master points to go...........................................

7. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Yay! Flyer now has GO to add to his name! We passed Graduate Open aka "utility lite" on Sunday after a disappointing two rings on Saturday. :D We barely missed our Versatility Q as well, but sigh, we get to try again another day. What are the chances that both rings would send dogs on go -outs running at each other... at the same time. Flyer who hasn't missed but one or two send away's, missed that one...

Okay, so we were 1 Q for 4 tries. I'll take it. We earned a 193 and 1st place, very pretty title ribbon from the Conyers Kennel Club, thank you!

Then there was rally. I am so inept. I cost my good dogs an IP in each run, because I just don't know my signs. Didn't sit when we should, Sat when we shouldn't... and Justus was a barking fool. That's his last rally bark all about it... shame cause that dog can heel like a dream, even with his big mouth.

Wasn't all bad, green ribbons all three runs and RAE leg # 8. I've entered him in the local trial in October and we will hope to finish Flyer's RAE and forget about Ohio, maybe, if I keep his scores in the 80's... sigh. Maybe I'll actually study the signs, but I doubt it. I'm entered in Open in December and need to be brushing up on that...

All in all, win some - lose some and I still love the game! hearts!

Calliesmom likes this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    Congrats on your GO.
    go-outs heading towards each other- that's most people's nightmares....
    although in our area, there usually aren't that many rings.....

9. 2GoodDogs

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Well, I sure sounded like I was whining... and yes, I was a bit. It is disappointing when we don't go out and kill it every.single.time. But, dogs aren't like that. I'm certainly not, and I guess I'm spoiled rotten because they've given me so many thrills over the years. I love these dogs. :)

If I don't like rally scores in the 80's then I will read and learn the signs! If I don't like challenges in the utility ring, then I'll train smarter and offer some proofing skills!

I already thought of one for open.. When sending him over the broad or retrieve on high, maybe have someone place a freshly opened can of cat food just the other side of the ring gates, not too close (at first) ... :)

This idea came to me when in Versatility on Sunday, he jumped over the high for the retrieve and his nose hit a scent and he was transfixed for a good 10 seconds, head high and inhaling who knows what. I stood still did not interrupt and the judge didn't either. My heart was in my throat, but he remembered what he was doing and proceeded to the dumbbell and came back over the jump. I was so happy! What a GOOD dog!

It was the next exercise I think where we did directed jumping and I was so disappointed that he didn't go far enough. My fault I'm sure, I could have focused him and been hit for a delayed response to the judges order to send him, giving the on-coming dog the time to turn and sit.

Hmmm, another thing to proof for in tonight's training. Having dogs in the other ring standing, sitting, laying down on the other side of the go-out spot! As he gets confidence then we can try head on go-outs! Win!

See, I won't stay whiny for long - I'll go do something about it!!

What is your favorite Rally Ap? If I look at signs maybe 5-6 minutes a day...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Calliesmom likes this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    Rally Apps- depends on what you're using.
    My tablet is an Android- I have Rally Genius, K9 Rally and AKC Rally Practice
    People I know use Pocket Rally on Apples.....
    I also have the laminated book of rally signs from Snowy Pine............