Limited Registration question

Barb, I would like to add to what you said.....I wouldn't want to see both the dam and sire at the home of the litter.......For me, that says, the breeder didn't want to do the homework, find the best dog, and pay the money to do the breeding on their bitch. I would like to think that the breeder was so excited about what a certain dog could add to their program, that they were willing to invest in the process. Because all my dogs are related in some way, sometimes we need to go back further in the pedigree to find a good match. In my case, I borrowed a bitch from Shelhaven to breed to Maritime. Her breeding has my dogs several generations back.
 
Barb, I would like to add to what you said.....I wouldn't want to see both the dam and sire at the home of the litter.......For me, that says, the breeder didn't want to do the homework, find the best dog, and pay the money to do the breeding on their bitch. I would like to think that the breeder was so excited about what a certain dog could add to their program, that they were willing to invest in the process. Because all my dogs are related in some way, sometimes we need to go back further in the pedigree to find a good match. In my case, I borrowed a bitch from Shelhaven to breed to Maritime. Her breeding has my dogs several generations back.

You are quite correct. Sorry, I said that wrong. I meant to say that I would want to see the Dam at the homesite, and know the history of the Sire. The Sires are, playboys, afterall!
 
Danisgoat and Lightplum pretty much sum it up!

It's unfortunate, but a registered pup does not necessarily mean a pup bred to standard (which isn't always so good anyway, as we are finding out with the GSD's).

To protect yourself as a buyer, you want to see the Dam and Sire - preferably on site. You want a geneology so that you can research the line.

I'm not saying that all BYB are bad, but they are not necessarily out for the same things.

LOL! That would be hard for my mom...since the dog she uses for breeding that best compliments her setter is all the way down in Georgia and the bitch is in Jersey :lol:
 
Barb, I would like to add to what you said.....I wouldn't want to see both the dam and sire at the home of the litter.......For me, that says, the breeder didn't want to do the homework, find the best dog, and pay the money to do the breeding on their bitch. I would like to think that the breeder was so excited about what a certain dog could add to their program, that they were willing to invest in the process. Because all my dogs are related in some way, sometimes we need to go back further in the pedigree to find a good match. In my case, I borrowed a bitch from Shelhaven to breed to Maritime. Her breeding has my dogs several generations back.


Ahh...yes, I didn't finish reading through the thread. Missjenneygirl got it right.

My mom travels 14 hours one way.....stays in a hotel for a week....and pays $1500 to breed her dog....then drives 14 hours back home. All because she feels this dog makes the best match for her setter. Now that is dedication to the breed!
 
Ahh...yes, I didn't finish reading through the thread. Missjenneygirl got it right.

My mom travels 14 hours one way.....stays in a hotel for a week....and pays $1500 to breed her dog....then drives 14 hours back home. All because she feels this dog makes the best match for her setter. Now that is dedication to the breed!

See, I was gonna just drop Deja off at the dog park with a bottle of cheap wine and a string of hotdogs wrapped around her neck!
 
I am laughing so hard!! That is really a funny picture to visualize. When I read it to my husband (not a dog person), he belly laughed.
Danisgoat, horray for your Mom. Isn't that just the best, to get so excited about that next puppy, the one that could be a Best In Show, that you travel and jump through hoops to do the breeding. Tell you mom.......I bet she thought of names the whole way there and back!! Your Mom sounds like a great resource for ethical breeding. Enjoy!
 
Connie is correct its usually a red flag for a BYB if the stud is there. Of course there are exceptions like if the dog is on lease and standing stud with them...or if they have an exceptional producer that they own then you may find the stud there but they will be more than happy to show you what the stud is producing for offsping and how many kids they have pointed!
 
Just have to point out...

My grandmother used her own studs on her bitches. She did cross out to other Studs (one from Tx that I can't remember the name of), Randy, Homer (B'Field the Natural), Luke (not mine)...but she did use her own studs on her own bitches. Ch to Ch in several cases. Ch to unshown (due to health problems of the owner). Ch to outside bitches. Etc.

I've also done the same. And I've used my studs on my mother's dogs. We, as you might say, like to keep it in the family. The result of this is a good breeding program with good, solid, healthy dogs.

Just because a breeder has both sire and dam on site does not make them a bad breeder, or a BYB breeder.

Next in line is to get a good bitch for Luke. Then, again, we'll have both sire and dam on site.
 
Just have to point out...

My grandmother used her own studs on her bitches. She did cross out to other Studs (one from Tx that I can't remember the name of), Randy, Homer (B'Field the Natural), Luke (not mine)...but she did use her own studs on her own bitches. Ch to Ch in several cases. Ch to unshown (due to health problems of the owner). Ch to outside bitches. Etc.

I've also done the same. And I've used my studs on my mother's dogs. We, as you might say, like to keep it in the family. The result of this is a good breeding program with good, solid, healthy dogs.

Just because a breeder has both sire and dam on site does not make them a bad breeder, or a BYB breeder.

Next in line is to get a good bitch for Luke. Then, again, we'll have both sire and dam on site.

And now the discussion on line breeding begins.....(which I'm totally unqualified to participate in....let the fur fly! But be nice everyone!)
 
Back
Top