Love everything about Shelties but the hair

I put in aircon a few years ago - can't live without it now (I've turned into a wuss). We get stinking hot here but fortunately not humid. On hot days the dogs stay inside, usually they park themselves on the tiles or in the garage on the concrete. We mostly do the early morning and late walks or stick to shade. Furminator is my best friend in summer.

This is the first year my dogs competed (flyball and agility) over summer and they did really well. It was hard keeping two long coated dogs cool but when all the other dogs were fading mine were still going strong. I think because they have long coats I am more aware of keeping them cool than people with short coated dogs.

Ticks are a whole other thing. Scary blighters the paralysis ones and it only takes one tick. I am paranoid about it and avoid tick areas like the plague during the season (plus lots of tick preventatives). But again with a long coated dog I think I am a lot more paranoid than other dog owners.

Not sure what part of Brazil you are on, but I know Northern Australia has similar temps to Northern Brazil (with the humidity and the wet/dry seasons) and I know a number of people with shelties in the north. They dont shave, but I can tell you the coats of those dogs don't get as thick as the 'southern' shelties.
 
Dont like the hair.

Shelties are not meant to be clipped. Why dont you try the smooth coated collie wich looks like the picture you posted.:winkgrin:
 
*Caro - Unfortunately we *live* in a tick-infested area. I've gotten a tick on me while taking out the trash before. :rolleyes2: We do Frontline Plus year-round on the cats. There's just no other way.

And today it's stinking hot here! I took a cool shower last night before I went to bed and took another one before it was 11 am! Isn't winter supposed to be on it's way?!? :lol:

(We live in the state of Sao Paulo in a city in the interior - a rural area full of eucalyptus farms and cattle raising.)

take4roll10 - Thanks for the suggestion! :smile2:

Edited to add- Sharon, From what I've learned in this thread, a smooth collie would be more work not less! And apparently so would trimming. Going for practicality here, not a look. :wink2:
 
Last edited:
TBH, I don't think a sheltie sounds the right dog for you. Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't get when people have a long haired dog then clip it because they don't want the coat.

Personally there are so many other breeds you could choose from, miniature and toy poodles spring to mind for instance.

I think a sheltie's coat is one of its best assets.:wink2:
 
We don't AC at the cottage either, but we have shade and fans. As cold as our winters get, our summers can be equally nasty....because we have incredible humidity.

I don't exercise the dogs in the heat of the day. And if its particularly hot, I hose them down. They dry almost instantly, but they do feel better for awhile.

You are getting alot of advice to "walk away from the Sheltie". I think if you truly want one, you can make it work, even in your climate. But as others said, don't get a Sheltie and then shave it down. It will actually harm him. They need the undercoat - for insulation and to protect against sunburn.
 
If you really want a Sheltie, you can make it work. Just use common sense and exercise in early morning and late evening in the heat. I know you're concerned about ticks in your area. Ticks are a problem with long coats, but they are easier to spot on dogs with lighter coats, i.e. sable and white, or merles, than in predominately black coats. Good luck with whatever you decide!
 
Keep in mind that the Sheltie's double coat functions to keep the dog cool as well as warm

This is why I would never cut sheltie's coat. I'd look for another breed if it's real problem to you... :o
 
Hmm, I've got a lot to think on and luckily I have the time for it.

I've had suggestions for Paps and Smooth Collies. Smooth Collies are just too big for us. Definitely considering the Pap. Can you recommend small-to-medium sized, single coated breeds that you think have some of the same personality characteristics of Shelties - dogs that you would consider if for some reason you were unable to have a Sheltie?

I really appreciate all the input. :smile2:
 
Paps are definately crazy like a sheltie. They are too small for me but I can see the attraction.

I always prefer the herding breeds though and shelties can be very high energy, I think a lot of people forget they are sheepdogs. Kelpies have some very small lines, can be gentle, affectionate and smart just like shelties. Female kelpies esp tend to be real darlings.

I would also talk to a Sheltie Club and perhaps visit a couple of dog shows so you can find out how the breeders manage. They will give you the best advice for your area.
 
Back
Top