Love everything about Shelties but the hair

Thank you for the suggestions. :biggrin2:

At this point I am actually seriously looking at Basset Hounds. Could that be farther from Sheltie? :rolleyes2: But the gentleness is there. I think a well-chosen and reared one would deal well with lots of classes and students visiting. Less grooming but more bathing! :lol:

It's a good thing I'm not making this decision anytime soon! Obviously I need to roll this around for a while. :razz:

Basset Hounds can be very stubborn so depending on what you want to do - keep looking. also have the nose, gotta sniff everywhere hound thing going on.
 
Thank you for the suggestions.
At this point I am actually seriously looking at Basset Hounds. Could that be farther from Sheltie? But the gentleness is there. I think a well-chosen and reared one would deal well with lots of classes and students visiting. Less grooming but more bathing!
It's a good thing I'm not making this decision anytime soon! Obviously I need to roll this around for a while.

I must have considered about 30:eek2: different breeds before I settled on a sheltie, a desicion I have never regretted. However, that is not to say that I would not ever think of owning another breed (as well as shelties:winkgrin:) in the future. I am just so pleased that you are being so open minded and weighing up all the options as it means whatever you finally decide, you know that it will be the right choice.:yes:
 
I must say one thing about Bassett''s because my sister-in-law has had two of them. THEY STINK, at least her's have that hound odor to them, did not make for an enjoyable stay at their home. What about a Corgi or a Dachsund?
 
I must say one thing about Bassett''s because my sister-in-law has had two of them. THEY STINK, at least her's have that hound odor to them, did not make for an enjoyable stay at their home. What about a Corgi or a Dachsund?

Well, that would be the reason for the "more bathing" thing! :lol: I will definitely visit some in person and *smell* them before making any decisions, but I've heard that regular bathing and brushing (and laundering of bedding) helps keep the odor down.

Corgi's and Dachsunds have reputations for more feistiness than I'm looking for. Gentle and mellow and the key words here. I teach out of the home and have students (some as young as 5 years old) coming in and out all day. I'm not looking for a long-backed breed, that's a down-side for me actually. But the temperament intrigues me.

My family is entirely composed of stubborn people so in that a basset would be a good match.... :eek2:
 
You'd be surprised at how much these short hair breeds shed. My parents had a lab mix and I could not pet him without dander and fur flying everywhere.

Short hair can require just as much grooming as a long haired dog. Something to keep in mind.

Good luck in your decision. You are obviously taking alot of thought to decide what is right for you and your family....but a BASSET? REALLLY? :eek2::lol:
 
Short hair breeds are a nightmare. The hair gets in everything. My sister has two pugs and they are a mess with the hair.

How about a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? They are AMAZING little dogs. Mellow, great with people, smart, can be athletic, but like to lie around too. I absolutely LOVE them. If I had another little dog, I would seriously consider them. Plus, they have hair that looks like my setter hair, and that is not bad at all. They hardly shed.
 
I love Cav's too. Wonderful temperament, size, and the hair is manageable. But there are two problems for me with them 1) serious, serious health problems and 2) down here the price of one is more than US$2500. :eek2: For the price of one Cavalier my entire family could fly to the US for XMas and back. I'm not against paying a fair price to compensate for health testing (especially for Cav's!!!), socialization and all the hard work that a good breeder does, but that would beyond my limit even for a breed that has a stellar reputation for health and soundness.

Danisgoat - I've actually heard from a number of sources that Pugs do shed a ridiculous amount. Apparently it often catches people unaware.

My favorite dog breed book (Paws to Consider - Wilson and Kilcommons) lists Pugs as "Shedding: a lot. Yes, a LOT." They list Bassets as "Shedding: Minimal to Moderate". They list Shelties as "Shedding: Moderate, except during twice a year shedding seasons - then a lot."

They do mention that bassets can have a "musty, houndy smell". :uhoh: :lol:
 
Short hair breeds are a nightmare. The hair gets in everything. My sister has two pugs and they are a mess with the hair.

How about a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? They are AMAZING little dogs. Mellow, great with people, smart, can be athletic, but like to lie around too. I absolutely LOVE them. If I had another little dog, I would seriously consider them. Plus, they have hair that looks like my setter hair, and that is not bad at all. They hardly shed.

Fabulous idea. I really thought about one before sheltie also, but I read they have a short life span?! Not sure how accurate that is, but that's the only flaw I could find. I see many at the dog parks and they are great with people, mellow and basically everything she described.
 
Do your shelties really shed that much?!? I've never really noticed any shedding problem with Hadley except when she blew coat after puppies but that doesn't count really. She sleeps in the bed and on the couches and never sheds much. She doesn't requiring much grooming at all, really. A brush once a week but she her fur stays clean on its own. I only bathe every six weeks unless something comes up that makes me need to bathe her. Maybe some shed more than others?!
 
I don't think so except for when they blow coat. Goldens are horrible with Shedding. But I think she had other issues with shelties besides coat....barking was one.
 
Back
Top