Minnie is not getting it. I am FED UP!

I am so sorry you are frustrated Karen! If you read back in my posts, I got to this point quite a few times. Potty training is NOT easy. It comes and goes and is 100% about your commitment and it gets TIRING! We bring these cute, fuzzy babies in our homes and want them with us as quickly as we can have them running around. BUT, they need to grow and more importantly their bladders need to grow.

It is so damn frustrating and tiring, yes. With our first doxie, I was trying to potty train my youngest at the same time - they peed on each other's spots - I about lost my mind. With our 2nd doxie, Kooper, who is still with us, I honestly NEVER thought he'd be potty trained and wondered with was I thinking when we got him. He was at least 5 before being trustworthy in the house but now at 10 he is awesome. He does NOT tell anyone he has to go though. He is 100% quite inside the house unless he is singing or someone strange comes to the door. I tried bells, he does not 'speak' - he relies on telepathic communication I guess, I am just supposed to KNOW.

Brodie, cute little bugger that he is, omg, I would read here how good Willow was and be like, hey, what happened here, what am I doing wrong? I think when you have 2 dogs, it just brings along another level of angst into the mix that you don't get with a single dog. I can't imagine how some here did it with 3, 4, 5! We were lucky, with Brodie's anatomical design, we were able to resort to wraps at night. But I spent many long days with gates and separating the dogs so I could simply focus on Brodie.

Even with all that, once we got trained, he started POOPING in the house! Beware cuz the 7 month teenager stage is a doozy with potty training. Weirdo dog, he has gotten better but only because I resorted to 1) feeding him in his chosen indoor potty spot and for the longest time 2) had him in his crate until he poo'd. I tried to keep him on a leash with me but he ate through a few and they are not cheap. So we'd crate, go out, pee, all was good, back in the crate, out 15 minutes later, back in the crate, out - you get the picture. His longest was 3 hours 45 minutes after breakfast he finally poo'd. He is back to poo'ing outside but there is no way, even at 7 months, that I would consider him reliable. I am, he, well, he is not. Funny thing though, he HAS started giving me clues at times - if I ignore stuff, some times he going in to our downstairs powder-room and barks - like HEY, I've got to GO! But then, the other day he just without notice, pee'd on the mat I keep in front our our wood burning insert.

Minnie WILL get it, but even when she does, she's going to backslide. YOU are being potty trained at this point, her time comes a while from now. In the end, it will all be worth it, in the meantime, crate, crate, crate. Hang in there!
I can't crate, have to use the pen during the day instead. The crate is in the bedroom. I can't have the crate in the living room and the pen too, my house is too small. So I have to pen, pen, pen instead.
 
I remember this feeling, Karen, you're not alone. But as others have said, strap in...it's a long haul. Flurry wasn't totally house trained until she was a year old, and she wasn't my first to be that age. And I'm home, and can pay attention to them! It is hard when you're overtired and frustrated, but as people say, your kids won't go to college in diapers so the same is true of puppies (well, maybe not college but you know what I'm saying LOL). She will figure it out, just not on your schedule. Treat and praise, treat and praise. That's the key.

I use Fizzion for those spots and it is hands down the best thing I ever found for any doggie accident, even vomit. I tried them all. It will totally take the stain and scent out, and it isn't chemical. I get it on Amazon.

I'm glad your hubby is OK. That adds to your feelings and the dogs feel that too. Take care of yourself and make sure you take time to ENJOY this puppy you waited so long for! Trust me, the wait was worth it. :yes:
 
I remember this feeling, Karen, you're not alone. But as others have said, strap in...it's a long haul. Flurry wasn't totally house trained until she was a year old, and she wasn't my first to be that age. And I'm home, and can pay attention to them! It is hard when you're overtired and frustrated, but as people say, your kids won't go to college in diapers so the same is true of puppies (well, maybe not college but you know what I'm saying LOL). She will figure it out, just not on your schedule. Treat and praise, treat and praise. That's the key.

I use Fizzion for those spots and it is hands down the best thing I ever found for any doggie accident, even vomit. I tried them all. It will totally take the stain and scent out, and it isn't chemical. I get it on Amazon.

I'm glad your hubby is OK. That adds to your feelings and the dogs feel that too. Take care of yourself and make sure you take time to ENJOY this puppy you waited so long for! Trust me, the wait was worth it. :yes:
Thanks Ann. Yes I did wait for her, I felt so guilty today because I knew she could feel my frustration, I did get angry. I didn't yell at her, but she knew anyways. I turned it around and we had a good time today, the dogs were so good on our walk, meeting people! I always try to end things on a positive note. Minnie is smart, training is going well, she gets things so fast. She's social, well adjusted. I need to put it all in perspective and thank goodness for this forum! I'll get the Fizzion.
 
Fizzion Is the best!!! You are lucky that Minnie is social! You are so right about the forum. I don’t know what I would do without it.

So glad to hear your husband is OK. I am sure your concern for him added to the anxiety and stress.

Yes, like Ann recommends... take care of yourself. It is more work than I expected with Liam. Hopefully, we will all come through it with no regrets. This to shall pass. Hang in there... we are all here for you.
 
Fizzion Is the best!!! You are lucky that Minnie is social! You are so right about the forum. I don’t know what I would do without it.

So glad to hear your husband is OK. I am sure your concern for him added to the anxiety and stress.

Yes, like Ann recommends... take care of yourself. It is more work than I expected with Liam. Hopefully, we will all come through it with no regrets. This to shall pass. Hang in there... we are all here for you.
The good thing about the internet is we have places like this forum to go to! DOING EARS TONIGHT!! Ears are easy compared to potty training! Except for that damn bridge.....
 
Thanks Ann. Yes I did wait for her, I felt so guilty today because I knew she could feel my frustration, I did get angry. I didn't yell at her, but she knew anyways. I turned it around and we had a good time today, the dogs were so good on our walk, meeting people! I always try to end things on a positive note. Minnie is smart, training is going well, she gets things so fast. She's social, well adjusted. I need to put it all in perspective and thank goodness for this forum! I'll get the Fizzion.

It's also important to remember that puppies don't have control of their elimination muscles until they're six months old. I always laugh when people say their puppies trained at 3 or 4 months. That's luck and timing more than training! Hang in there, Karen. Half the battle is that you recognize your impatience. We've all been there...but Minnie is smart, she'll get it soon.
 
You know, Deska was not toilet trained until he was 6mths old (and he still pooped inside for a while after) - I was going insane with his peeing everywhere. I've got carpets so ended up completely covering the floors with plastic to save the puddles. It was exhausting, I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong. I couldn't let him sleep in the room with me because of the peeing so he had to sleep in the dining room - and he cried and cried every night because he hated being alone (no wonder he got separation anxiety). Actually I think it was Tully, not me, who toilet trained him!

I think next time I'll be penning all the time too - with plastic under the pen and pee pads, and when I'm not home the puppy is out on the back porch in the cat run! I have the same problem with a very small home so crates everywhere are not an option.
 
I have no words of wisdom regarding the toileting issue. I will say, however, that you sound completely overwhelmed. Take a deep breath. Do something nice for yourself -- you can't take care of others (human or canine) unless you take care of yourself first. So take a bath, go for a walk, do yoga -- whatever works for you. And know that, as said above, we're all here for you ((HUGS))
 
Back
Top