Minnie is not getting it. I am FED UP!

Since I have never have had cages or a pen in my house
they have been with me all the time and at night have been in my bed,
so maybe I been more aware of the puppy :biggrin2:

None of them have pooped in the house, perhaps peeing 1-2 times
where it is me who has been inattentive :cry:

When i have been away from home they have had the whole kitchen
with newspapers in front of the outside door and a grid till the living room.

I absolutely do not think it is easy - In fact - quite stressful to have a little puppy
who has to learn that we need to do business outside.

But i like the result of the hard work :lol:
 
I think I posted this somewhere before, but I was getting pretty frustrated with Devon for a while too as he wasn't making hardly any progress with house training. He was closing in on 5 months old and he still wasn't remotely trustworthy in the house. I had to take him out every two hours or so, and more often if he was playing hard and drinking water, or else he'd just stop in the middle of the floor and do his business. He gave no warning of any kind, he'd just all of a sudden stop what he was doing, squat, let'r rip, and then continue playing as if nothing had happened. I scolded him a number of times and immediately took him outside, but all that accomplished was that he would sometimes go upstairs into the loft to do his business where I didn't see him rather than doing it right in front of me.

Then, as if by magic, right about the time he became 5 months old, a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, he suddenly got it like a light switch being turned on, and from that moment on he has never gone in the house again. It took me a little while to realize that something had changed with him and that I hadn't had to scold him or clean up after him for the past couple of days. I put him to the test by not taking him out so often and he just held it until I decided to take him out. By Thanksgiving weekend he had nearly full privileges in the house, whereas at the beginning of the month I still had to put him in his crate if I needed to do something where I couldn't watch him like a hawk and take him outside every two hours.

Bottom line is that Minnie may end up being like Devon and that the transition from untrustworthy to trustworthy in the house will occur suddenly rather than gradually.

I found with both Piper and Finnie they never got full privileges (Piper at least) until 2 years of age, Finnie is still working towards his even though he's totally accident free for at least 3-4 months. Even when you think they've got it, they'll surprise you with a present lol.
 
Back
Top