New Pup for Barb and Indy????

Barb, if you felt a bond with Gem...take her! The combination of one male and one female is typically an excellent combination.

I have had both males and females and loved them all for their individual personalities...but my heart dog was my little girl, Fable (Cameo Farms Springtime Fable). Our Stormie (Cameo Farms Winter Storm), was a once in a lifetime boy and truly a joy and I loved him dearly...but Fable was my heart.

Trini
 
Barb, if you felt a bond with Gem...take her! The combination of one male and one female is typically an excellent combination.

I have had both males and females and loved them all for their individual personalities...but my heart dog was my little girl, Fable (Cameo Farms Springtime Fable). Our Stormie (Cameo Farms Winter Storm), was a once in a lifetime boy and truly a joy and I loved him dearly...but Fable was my heart.

Trini
Very much this! I currently have a male and a female. I actually prefer females, I like their attitudes, but the breeder kept both females of the litter. I love how females will follow you around and they are the BEST when you're sick, won't leave your side, of course that depends on the dog, but every female I have owned has been this way.
 
Melli has a couple quirks but she is a really amazing dog. Both my girls have been more like best friends and equals and the boy more like children. The more I work with Melli the more I respect her.

I hope you said yes.

That's the best description. In my limited experience, my girl is grownup. Fun, impish, playful, funny, but a grownup. My boy is a big kid.

I hope you said yes too.
 
I've only had female shelties. Both are and were such sweeties. Bailey took a little more time to show her admiration for me, but I am clearly her world. Both girls have to be in the same room as you, but don't lay near or on top of you. They'll lay on the other end of the couch... :lol: Definitely wicked smart, protective of their "person" (or people), can be stubborn at times and independent.

My first girl was more serious and less of a barker. Bailey is definitely sillier, more drive-y and playful, but I believe that is just their different personalities.

I hope everything works out the way that you want it too. Good luck!
 
Last edited:
While I think there may be a few over-arching personality traits that separate male from female, I wouldn't let any of them influence my decision if the dog "spoke to me".

Good luck!
 
While I think there may be a few over-arching personality traits that separate male from female, I wouldn't let any of them influence my decision if the dog "spoke to me".

Good luck!
Agreed I have seen no real difference, and all 4 of the shelties I have owned were great dogs.....
 
Whenever anyone came to me to get a new dog after losing a beloved older one, I encouraged them to get the opposite sex. It helped them to not expect the same reactions and behaviours as the previous dog and to look at the new dog as a dog in it's own right.
Personally, I have always preferred females - don't tell Tinsel! In fact, rescue was going to bring me the bitch and 5 pups to foster until they discovered that the pups were double merle and they didn't want to put me in that position.
Just so you know, on the rare occasions that I allowed an adult to leave my home and go to a new home I charged the rate I would for a puppy. I figure all the training, vaccinations and socialization would cost them a fortune if they were able to find someone that would do it for them.
 
Whenever anyone came to me to get a new dog after losing a beloved older one, I encouraged them to get the opposite sex. It helped them to not expect the same reactions and behaviours as the previous dog and to look at the new dog as a dog in it's own right...

It's interesting that you mentioned following up a loved/lost companion with one of the opposite sex. When I decided to look for another pet, my first thought was to look for a carbon copy (sable/male) of my 1st Sheltie. I realized quickly that this would be a bad idea (for me) for the very reason you mentioned. The epiphany struck me as I watched a lady training the most beautiful blue merle I had ever seen in her front yard. As such, the search is for a bi-blue or blue merle male (still prefer males). After reading your comment here, I realized that I'm not weird, there really is a method to my madness.
 
I may have actually lost her.....I questioned the sell price and hence the breeder is questioning my motivation. I said again, yes, to the to dog, but she's not responding......not getting a good vibe......
 
Back
Top